What is your experience of mental health?

AstonMartyn88

People still don't take mental illness seriously.

I think it's just very difficult to understand if you haven't suffered it yourself. If someone breaks an arm you can empthaise with them because you know what pain feels like and can imagine the suffering they went through. If someone tells you they are suicidal then most people simply have no idea what that's like. Sure they will have had bad times in their lives but at no point will they have considered killing themselves. They'll look at your life and see that your physically okay, financially okay, have friends/family and simply won't understand your mental illness. It's not that they don't want to understand and help it's just that they can't. I think you'll often find that if you talk to family members of people who have mental illness it's the sense of helplessness that's the worst, they see someone they love very ill but can't do anything to help.

IMO of course...

Edited by villa89
  • Like 3

Sertraline for me at the moment. Rob did you find that on mirtazapine you spend every waking hour obsessing about food?

No.

I used it at night to cure insomnia. Works very well. Still got some in the drawer in case I can't sleep again.

I'm currently feeling cynical with a work colleague. He's taken 6 months off with depression, with the end if his relationship as the trigger. However, during his time off he has been to Thailand on holiday, been partying VIP with well known Indie bands, going to lots if football games and loads of gigs. He spends his days using his recording studio in his bedroom. He is 40 and lives with his mum and has never moved out.

At work we are lucky to get 6 months full pay, if we are ill. He's come back the week after 6 months saying he feels better and that he's on antidepressants. Work are now reviewing their sick policy. I can't help but think he may have had mild depression and has milked it for ever penny he could. If he had 1 months sick pay, I think he would have come back after 1 month.

I might be totally wrong but my impression is that if you need time off because you are depressed, getting out of bed would be difficult. If you are well enough to travel on holiday to Thailand and party, you see well enough to go to work.

Am I wrong?

There will always be people who will use the 'mental health' label to try to abuse a situation to their advantage. Doesn't help with trying to change general society's attitude though. Bit like benefit cheats in that respect. Same with anything really. Good & bad in all walks of life.

• Like 1

Continual abusive behaviour from a horrendous neighbour and then having to deal with a governmental institution who decided it would be better for them not to believe me.

Sexual?

Are you asking is the abuse sexual in nature?

No problem at all mate.

In my current situation the abuse is homophobic with comments such as 'gay b*****d,' 'gay scumbag' and so on. The thing is i've never been gay and after a little research apparently the worst thing any traveller can call a man is 'gay' as anyone in the traveller community known to be gay is generally ostracised.

I have recorded these comments as well as many others and given that audio to what you would deem the local council (Northern Ireland Housing Executive). Since they have a clearly stated rule in their anti-social behavioural policies that their tenants are not allowed to abuse any neighbour including comments of sexual orientation and quite obviously their tenant (my neighbour) has breached those, they have unfortunately continually refused to acknowledge the audio under the premise that they couldn't ascertain where that audio was recorded from.

Now taking into consideration that the recorded audio contains the names of both parties (the neighbour and myself) and the names of all of her children (five children), its pretty obvious where that audio was recorded hence my previous comments. 

Edited by Morpheus

a very difficult subject that many comment on that know very little about it...me included.

Tolerance and understanding is what is mainly required, despite us knowing very little about the subject.

if in doubt, accept a persons position.

I fear the NHS is more suseptible to deal with tangibles than intangibles as this what targets bring in to question....they take the easy option.

I would suspect the most difficult thing with mental health is diagnose and the time/money that takes.

I might be totally wrong but my impression is that if you need time off because you are depressed, getting out of bed would be difficult. If you are well enough to travel on holiday to Thailand and party, you see well enough to go to work.

Am I wrong?

Sometimes it can be a bit of both though. I suffer with depression and earlier in the year I gave up a job because I knew it was making me feel worse, I couldn't put up with it anymore, so I can understand him possibly wanting to take as much time as he can from it. Though I got another job which I can do from home as I mostly cant face leaving the house 90% of the time so I can see why you would be skeptical, but at the same time the woman I see does suggest getting out more as it can help with how you feel - maybe some fun is what he felt he needed to try and help improve his mood.

Its not a knock on you Pompey, but it's something that is certainly very hard to understand because there's no real cut and dry reasons.

I have been getting a constant low mood since I was about 18 and I myself thought I was just feeling sorry for myself, etc. it was until earlier this year (I'm 26 now) I finally decided to see my doctor and get help because it was getting out of hand. One reason I put it off so long is that I was worried what other people would think, maybe they would feel I'm just feeling sorry for myself? Looking for excuses? etc. I can understand people being skeptical, but I think sometimes that can cause an issue with people wanting to get help, especially as, at least for me, I already feel bad enough about myself I could do without worrying if others feel bad about me too and I'm sure an awful lot of people in as similar situation feel that same way.

• Like 1

Someone very close to me is suffering from depression.

People usually associate depression with telling the sufferer to give yourself a boot up the backside and get on with it. I wish it was as simple as that and indeed i have been ignorant enough to utter those very same words up until i had a better understanding of the illness.

There are no courses to go to (certainly not in my area) only GP leaflets and my main source of information, the internet in which to learn how to deal with someone suffering from depression.

It is such a shock to see someone you love change into a completely different person. Symptoms of depression are lack of appetite, no energy and the worst of all, aggression.

The person i am referring to before her illness was the life and soul of any party, bubbly personality and wanted to live life to the full. However before her period of recovery she did not eat, did not want to go out and slept all day not wanting any contact with the people around her and when she did have contact it normally resulted in insults if she did not get what she wanted. That is the fourth trait of depression, selfishness! There is a fifth trait whereby the sufferer no longer takes any interest in her appearance and can be best described as through other looking.

This person is now in the latter stages of recovery. She is back to work, eating better and taking more care with her appearance but there are still those bad days and anyone else dealing with someone who has depression will know exactly what i am talking about. You get all those symptoms of the illness in one day and again you no longer recognise the person you love. To put it simply its like switching a tap on and off and for the carer you have to get used to it. It leaves you angry, frustrated, hurt and indeed very much alone when you are not getting support from elsewhere.

It is to all intense and purposes a horrible mental decease and i have every sympathy for carers who like me have to deal with depression on a daily basis because you don't know what you're going to get when the person you love awakens every day.

That's what shagging your nephew does to you.

• Like 1

An ignorant assumption based on the fact that you quite obviously have no idea whom I'm talking about and have therefore have made a right pillock of yourself especially concerning the sensitivity of this thread.

• Like 2

Â