What is your experience of mental health?

AstonMartyn88

On 08/04/2016 at 22:30, HanoiVillan said:

No amount of money can buy you health, as you know. 

This..

• 2 months later...

Depression has really started to creep back in these last few months and can't help but feel it's getting on top of me again. I'm stuck on jury service for the next month+. Can barely get any sleep at night. Work is shit, money is tight, social life has been reduced to the point where it barely exists. Feel like I should stop putting off seeing my doctor, but I don't like wasting their time and I know there's nothing he's going to say that's going to change anything.

Just frustrating.

On May 28, 2016 at 08:11, H said:

Bad days can be really bad but they do end and a new day does begin. All you can do is get through that bad day and keep starting again

sounds like you have a good grip on things. i started sertraline 3 months ago, and it's definitely helped my anxiousness and general mood. much more outgoing lately, to the point where some people probably think i'm a maniac, lol...and maybe i am, who knows for sure

never give up

4 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Depression has really started to creep back in these last few months and can't help but feel it's getting on top of me again. I'm stuck on jury service for the next month+. Can barely get any sleep at night. Work is shit, money is tight, social life has been reduced to the point where it barely exists. Feel like I should stop putting off seeing my doctor, but I don't like wasting their time and I know there's nothing he's going to say that's going to change anything.

Just frustrating.

do you take medication for depression...have you looked into other doctors...sorry, my shift key is ****, so i can't type question marks

keep pushing on man. as shit as life can be, its a whole lot more interesting than the alternative.

you've got good friends on here, i always remember that for myself whenever i feel socially unfulfilled in my day to day life. 

vt is a one stop shop for most of the things i like to talk about, we've really got a cool thing here.

chin up kurt, i know that sounds flippant, but its still good advice

:)

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Feel like I should stop putting off seeing my doctor, but I don't like wasting their time and I know there's nothing he's going to say that's going to change anything.

You are not wasting their time Kurt.  That's what they're there for.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, villaglint said:

Lapal please don't encourage people to base their mental state on the success or otherwise of our great football team, I think that would see you in the dock for manslaughter before too long. 

Kurt - definitely do see your doctor. No doubt you've been down that road before which is why you FEEL like nothing will change but remember that's the illness talking which is the very thing you want to change. 

Exercise - natures anti depressants, the right medication and talking do help and I'm sure many people on here can vouch for that. 

I would recommend to anyone with anxiety/depression issues the importance of exercise.

Running in particular...it has an unbelievably calming effect on your physical and mental state. I'm no doctor, but this, combined with cutting out alcohol and/or other drugs gives you a much better chance of getting better.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RimmyJimmer said:

I would recommend to anyone with anxiety/depression issues the importance of exercise.

Running in particular...it has an unbelievably calming effect on your physical and mental state. I'm no doctor, but this, combined with cutting out alcohol and/or other drugs gives you a much better chance of getting better.

Being a keen runner, I'm bound to agree with this. But I'd add - running OUTSIDE (preferably off-road), not on a treadmill in a gym. It does make a difference. 

• Like 3

Just now, mjmooney said:

Being a keen runner, I'm bound to agree with this. But I'd add - running OUTSIDE (preferably off-road), not on a treadmill in a gym. It does make a difference. 

Oh yes, definitely outside. 

I have had a succession of injuries in the last year which has prevented me from running....and I have been a lot more tense if late!! 

Walking & cycling are good too...oh and I've recently taken up camping, which is also very relaxing.

Yes, it's definitely the outdoors that does it for me

Exercise is good but it has to be the right amount because although it will definitely give you an endorphin high on the day, feeling crap the next day or so can feel like depression.

Running is good for those who can do it and put up with the indignity but walking works equally well and in my experience the endorphin lift starts at around 30 minutes.

• Like 1

bicycling is my thing, cuz my joints can't handle running anymore. my life would be measurably worse if i didn't ride my bike. does wonders for feeling good mentally, as well as physically. 

i'm on sertraline too, and it works great, except its not easy reaching orgasm, which is not always a bad thing if you plan being superman for the night :)

I have a friend who suffered quite bad from a depression a few years ago, she got put on anti dep, but that didnt do much for her.

It wasn't until she started taking extra vitamin D that she really got back up.

If you are feeling bad you should try it, do wonders for some people.

On 22/08/2016 at 23:13, StefanAVFC said:

3 months without a panic attack. 2 months off pills.

Go to the doctor Kurt. It helps so much. It's your life. Take control back. Don't be a slave to your own mind.

Hey Stefan. Interesting to see that you've had issues as well.

Genuine question - seeing as you've entered a committed relationship recently, I was wondering if you could comment on how you manage having panic attacks with having to be part of (what I assume to be) an equal relationship.

I am a recovering long-term depressive myself, and as I've started to recover in recent times and seen my dating life improve by leaps and bounds, it's been something I've been thinking about.

On 23/08/2016 at 02:24, RimmyJimmer said:

In my experience, it was improvement in mental state that came before the exercise bit. Only after a substantial degree of improvement did I find myself having the motivation and energy levels to restart a running routine.

Obviously recovery processes will differ from person to person, but that's just my two cents from my subjective anecdotal expeorience.

It is important to talk. There are obviously people out there ( doctors, therapists, etc.) who are paid to listen, but please don't underestimate the support you can get from your family and friends.

If you are approached by someone who is hurting, please reassure them. They may feel like they are being a burden. You don't have to say much, but having someone who listens would be helpful.

• Like 1

Â