What is your experience of mental health?

AstonMartyn88

5 hours ago, legov said:

In my experience, it was improvement in mental state that came before the exercise bit. Only after a substantial degree of improvement did I find myself having the motivation and energy levels to restart a running routine.

Obviously recovery processes will differ from person to person, but that's just my two cents from my subjective anecdotal expeorience.

Yes it depends on the severity of your feelings. I suffered from general anxiety for many years which resulted in some pretty horrific periods of panic. When I look back, a lot of my problems were made a lot worse by my choice of lifestyle, which included drinking way too much and doing little exercise. What I find now is that exercise and a healthy lifestyle keeps those demons away...I almost use it as medication. I haven't had a panic attack for years now. I kind of forgot how difficult it was to motivate myself back then to go running etc. I just do it automatically now.

I realise mental illness is a very broad and complex area and like you say, every case is different. I think doing what you can to help yourself by being physically healthy just gives you a leg up, so to speak, on your recovery. 

IMO, the good news is there is much less of a stigma now, for mental health issues, and seeking treatment for them.

my experiences have taught me that you and i are just as crazy as the next guy, but he might hide it well, and good for him. i like people who are honest with their weaknesses, whatever they might be.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

IMO, the good news is there is much less of a stigma now, for mental health issues, and seeking treatment for them.

my experiences have taught me that you and i are just as crazy as the next guy, but he might hide it well, and good for him. i like people who are honest with their weaknesses, whatever they might be.

Yep. To repeat something I posted earlier in this thread, it's really no different from physical illness. Except for the very odd freakish exception, EVERYBODY gets ill occasionally. If you're lucky it's only the occasional bout (cold viruses, mild anxiety, feeling a bit down); if you're very unlucky, something more nasty (cancer, severe depression, schizophrenia). It's all treatable to a degree, and no reason why one should be more shameful or embarrassing than the other. If it's minor, self-treat as advised in this thread (lifestyle change). If it's worse, get some medical advice. It's common sense. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

How can people tell the difference between normal levels of unhappiness and depression?

And how happy should a person expect to be?

Funnily enough I wanted to ask a similar question yesterday in this thread, but I didn't know if it was appropriate, it might be a bit like talking about a paper cut in an amputee meeting.

But I do get this weird thing every now and then where I just feel like crap for a few hours, an 'everything's pointless' kind of attitude, pissed off about something even though I don't know what it is, a stupid thing like my laptop playing up is the end of the world and things that I usually enjoy suddenly feel empty. 

The missus just has to leave me alone for a while until I snap out of it. Then when I feel better, I have no idea why I was so down and I just forget about it and I feel like I was just being like a moody teenager. Maybe I'm just going through puberty still.

Edited by Paddywhack

17 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Funnily enough I wanted to ask a similar question yesterday in this thread, but I didn't know if it was appropriate, it might be a bit like talking about a paper cut in an amputee meeting.

But I do get this weird thing every now and then where I just feel like crap for a few hours, an 'everything's pointless' kind of attitude, pissed off about something even though I don't know what it is, a stupid thing like my laptop playing up is the end of the world and things that I usually enjoy suddenly feel empty. 

The missus just has to leave me alone for a while until I snap out of it. Then when I feel better, I have no idea why I was so down and I just forget about it and I feel like I was just being like a moody teenager. Maybe I'm just going through puberty still.

I get this pretty much word-for-word as well, especially the part around being pissed off about something even though I don't know what it is. Then I end up getting even more frustrated and moody because I don't know what I'm being moody about.

I've worked out that mine seems to correlate to some sort of mental 'comedown'. If I've had a good night out, or spent some quality time with the missus/mates, or even had a productive day at work, then once that is over I seem to hit a wall. Once i realised that was what it is, it made the feelings more palatable and manageable. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jenko#4 said:

I get this pretty much word-for-word as well, especially the part around being pissed off about something even though I don't know what it is. Then I end up getting even more frustrated and moody because I don't know what I'm being moody about.

I've worked out that mine seems to correlate to some sort of mental 'comedown'. If I've had a good night out, or spent some quality time with the missus/mates, or even had a productive day at work, then once that is over I seem to hit a wall. Once i realised that was what it is, it made the feelings more palatable and manageable. 

Personally, I am always aware that I am at my most vulnerable to a bout of misery when I am feeling very/too happy.

The downside of happiness is that it definitely lowers the defences and leaves you vulnerable: the resulting predictable 'comedown' always feels like hubris.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jenko#4 said:

That probably makes sense for me too. Maybe it's when I don't have something to look forward to as well.

Although just talking about it makes me feel like I'm making a big deal about nothing, because I'm absolutely fine right now. 

On 8/22/2016 at 02:03, kurtsimonw said:

Depression has really started to creep back in these last few months and can't help but feel it's getting on top of me again. I'm stuck on jury service for the next month+. Can barely get any sleep at night. Work is shit, money is tight, social life has been reduced to the point where it barely exists. Feel like I should stop putting off seeing my doctor, but I don't like wasting their time and I know there's nothing he's going to say that's going to change anything.

Just frustrating.

You need to try focus on the good things in your life mate, I know its easier said than done but sounds like you have good health? My ex of 3 and half years had no health problems and she has been recently diagnosed with a brain tumor and its half the size of her brain. They have failed to removed twice with ops as its too large and getting close to the center of the brain. she is only 33 but she is trying to stay positive by thinking of all the good things going for her.

We sometimes get stuck thinking the worst with domestic issues which seem like the end of the world when really they are not and it could be worse. Embrace life, love who you and don't let anyone tell you other wise.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RimmyJimmer said:

Yes it depends on the severity of your feelings. I suffered from general anxiety for many years which resulted in some pretty horrific periods of panic. When I look back, a lot of my problems were made a lot worse by my choice of lifestyle, which included drinking way too much and doing little exercise. What I find now is that exercise and a healthy lifestyle keeps those demons away...I almost use it as medication. I haven't had a panic attack for years now. I kind of forgot how difficult it was to motivate myself back then to go running etc. I just do it automatically now.

I realise mental illness is a very broad and complex area and like you say, every case is different. I think doing what you can to help yourself by being physically healthy just gives you a leg up, so to speak, on your recovery. 

Yes theres many benefits to exercise not just physically. The release of serotonin and dopamine play a major part in good mental health and exercises helps with that. My major problem is lack of sleep. No more than 2 or 3 hours sleep night leaves me to exhausted to go for a run. 

I wonder what peoples opinions are of American medicinal culture vs our own?

I'm still astounded at just how frequently and casually Americans seem willing to medicate themselves. Obviously I don't personally know any Americans but I do listen to quite a few podcasts involving them and they all seem to be on medication of some kind, having also seen Louis Theroux's documentary and from what I have casually observed in the media and TV it really is common place. Is this just because they are ahead of he curve in terms of being open and doing something about it or has it almost become in vogue to have issues and to be actively treating them?

I can't help but think that 50 years ago half the population of America and the UK weren't all walking round anxious and depressed because they didn't have their meds to sort it out. Is it just a symptom of modern society or something more than that?

Really fascinating topic I think.

29 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

I wonder what peoples opinions are of American medicinal culture vs our own?

I'm still astounded at just how frequently and casually Americans seem willing to medicate themselves. Obviously I don't personally know any Americans but I do listen to quite a few podcasts involving them and they all seem to be on medication of some kind, having also seen Louis Theroux's documentary and from what I have casually observed in the media and TV it really is common place. Is this just because they are ahead of he curve in terms of being open and doing something about it or has it almost become in vogue to have issues and to be actively treating them?

I can't help but think that 50 years ago half the population of America and the UK weren't all walking round anxious and depressed because they didn't have their meds to sort it out. Is it just a symptom of modern society or something more than that?

Really fascinating topic I think.

I wonder if it is as simple as US healthcare being private, and ours being public? I may be completely wrong on this (maybe an American can help out) but aren't US doctors and clinics  essentially profit making organisations? So if they can push pills to everyone then they make money, explaining why so many people are on medication. The NHS is trying to save money, so maybe they think it better to go through other routes first (exercise, diet, therapists etc..) before giving away medication?

This is a very black and white way of looking at it, apologies if I've offended anyone.

20 hours ago, maqroll said:

bicycling is my thing, cuz my joints can't handle running anymore. my life would be measurably worse if i didn't ride my bike. does wonders for feeling good mentally, as well as physically. 

i'm on sertraline too, and it works great, except its not easy reaching orgasm, which is not always a bad thing if you plan being superman for the night :)

What I got from that is you ride your bike at night in a superman costume while on constant vinegar strokes.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jenko#4 said:

I wonder if it is as simple as US healthcare being private, and ours being public? I may be completely wrong on this (maybe an American can help out) but aren't US doctors and clinics  essentially profit making organisations? So if they can push pills to everyone then they make money, explaining why so many people are on medication. The NHS is trying to save money, so maybe they think it better to go through other routes first (exercise, diet, therapists etc..) before giving away medication?

This is a very black and white way of looking at it, apologies if I've offended anyone.

Ours GPS are privately run aren't they and they get bonuses for pushing certain drugs. 

1 hour ago, Straggler said:

Hi all, apologies in advance as this is likely to run a little long.  For those of you more inclined to write tldnr then I would simply say take a look here:

http://oxfordmindfulness.org/

If you are interested to know why I recommend them keep reading. I write this a little bit from the outside looking in.  My wife suffers from depression and anxiety and has been treated with Citalopram for the last 3 years.  We have two kids. My wife has always had quite pronounced peaks and troughs on her emotional scale and it is fair to say has a lot of demons from her childhood that have left her with major trust issues.  Sadly when her mum passed about 5 years ago she went into her lowest trough and didn't come out. 

:snip:

Sorry to be so cynical but it reads like a professionally written product endorsement to me.

From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mindfulness#Criticism

The popularization of mindfulness as a "commodity"[139] has been criticized, being termed "McMindfulness" by some critics.[web 8][web 9][140] According to Safran, the popularity of mindfulness is the result of a marketing strategy:[139] "McMindfulness is the marketing of a constructed dream; an idealized lifestyle; an identity makeover."[139][141][142]

Not to speak for MV, but I think he meant the website rather than your post.

I think it's irrelevant anyway. Product endorsement, money making scheme, free NHS service, who cares? It's helping your wife, you and your family and I found your post really interesting and eye opening. Thank you for sharing.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Not to speak for MV, but I think he meant the website rather than your post.

I think it's irrelevant anyway. Product endorsement, money making scheme, free NHS service, who cares? It's helping your wife, you and your family and I found your post really interesting and eye opening. Thank you for sharing.

Too be fair reading my post back it does read a little like a product endorsement.  First for the Guardian website and then for Mindfulness. I guess I shouldn't be too pissed off if it is interpreted that way.  It is just that I genuinely have not spoken in this much detail about what has happened to me to anyone ever.  It was quite therapeutic just writing the post and I felt really good getting it all out there in one place.  As I said at the end it felt like this thread was a safe place to talk and MV's comment rather burst my bubble.  I guess I have seen enough times that on the internet that intent and interpretation can be wildly different and not to get too caught up in it all.  Thanks for your comment.

• Like 4

Â