What is your experience of mental health?

AstonMartyn88

As someone said, everyone is different and respond to different treatments. Some can survive on therapy, others need (or at least feel like they need) medication to survive. 

I've been on Sertraline before and it certainly worked but I was determined and found therapy helped a lot. I can cope pretty well in the main but I do struggle at times. 

I'm actually really pleased there is a thread like this on here. It's difficult to explain to people who don't understand, and certainly scary thing to talk about with your friends, even more so if you are a guy but talking definitely helps...

• Like 3

On 11/22/2013 at 11:28, AstonMartyn88 said:

Following the success of Bedlam on Channel 4, I thought it would be interesting to get people's perspectives on mental health problems, particularly as at any given point 1 in 4 people will experience a mental health problem in their lifetimes.

FWIW I have not experienced a mental health problem but I work in the field and find the stigma to be the worst thing, particularly in terms of stopping people looking for support

I have quite a lot of experience in this area.

I don't really mind who knows about it either,  it's just the way I am made.  It is unfortunate that a lot of the things I have were not successfully diagnosed until my late 30's but do shine a light on my early life and the choices and ultimately the mistakes that happened.

I have many tablets each day and this is a pain,  Approx 6 a day to keep me on the tightrope of normality.

The diagnosis is (scaled from 1-10 severity:

ADHD - 7  - Ritalin / Concerta

Depression - (3-8 scale depending) - Anti depressants every day for this for 3 or so years.  This is a roller coaster that I can't get off currently. 

I am on other scales for other things but these are the top of the pops so to speak.

It is not unusual for the ADHD to be set aside as a made up thing from some people which I understand a bit.  It did not exist when I was at school but all I can say on this is that without medication i am a liability to myself and others.  

Depression,  this is nasty and herediatatoy.  It cannot be beaten like other things as it is a sneaky snide of a problem.  There are not many things where you don't even know how bad it is.  Cut leg,  look it's bleeding,  depression,  unseen and as I said,  sneaky.  The current tablets I am on are great BUT the last time I tried to not have them was almost my last day on earth.  I have had come downs from various things over the years but nothing made me look for a way out like this did.  Luckily my wife was in but this was going bad in the baddest way possible.

Has my life improved with medication,  I would say yes overall.  I have passed certificates and exams in the last 5 years or so which I thought I could never do,  3 hour exams and such like.  I have a pretty good set of qualifications now but I had to get every single one in my 20's / 30's purely becasue my school could not in any way handle me.

Not sure if I have answered any questions but I hope i have contributed a bit.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, maqroll said:

Just got prescribed Sertraline for depression and anxiety, both of which have been creeping up on me over the last several years.

Not thrilled about it, but hopeful that it kind of gets me back to how I used to be, which was more confident and outgoing.

The last few years I've tended to be very negative about things and reluctant to be social. I have a handful of old friends who I think are all scratching their heads because I've kind of hid myself away from them.

I have to say, VillaTalk has been really a lifesaver for me, because it's allowed me a social outlet that I haven't pursued that much elsewhere. The politics, film and music threads (among many others) on here are excellent. 

So, I'm a little bit **** up in the head (as I'm sure maybe a few of you had already guessed), but I'm not ashamed to admit it. I don't know why this illness happened to me, it sort of came from out of thin air. But it's here. I sometimes think my past drug use may have something to do with it (excessive cannabis smoking while still just 17 years old without a fully developed brain, and then about 40 ecstasy trips in my late 20's).

Drinking can't help either, I'm sure. 

If anyone has experience with Sertraline, I'd love to hear what you've got to say about it, stories, advice, anything. 

Good luck with everything. I've been in a very similar situation previously and it took me a while to start to feel right about myself.

I lost a lot of friends by withdrawing into myself but I've since discovered that some friends have had similar problems (it's a lot more common then people think) and we are now closer then ever and can talk to each other about it openly. It took me a long time before I could admit my struggles to anybody, just like it took me a while to admit it to myself and it nearly cost me my marriage.

Just take things a day at a time and remember that sometimes there will be low days but its not the end of the world and that good days will come back. It helped me to recognise some of my triggers and to try and avoid them where possible. Cutting back on alcohol certainly helps as does getting exercise and a full nights sleep (can be very difficult at times).

Talk to anybody you can, even if its just VillaTalk.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

I was given citalopram a few weeks ago, I've never taken things to seriously and I've never had issues with mental health before but I had a scary incident last year when I thought I was having a heart attack, I wasn't it was caused by overworking and living on caffeine and fags, since then I've ended up in a&e 3 times to have ECGs because I'm constantly worrying that I'm having a heart attack. The anxiety has pretty much stopped me living my life. Hoping once these pills kick in I'll be back to normal

for crying out loud make sure you dont run out of them and have to wait days for some more.that happened to me and it was horrible,dizzy spells,fuzzy head,just feeling horrible in general. also citalopram have gave me no feeling down below and it takes me ages,if you know what i mean :) i just feel numb sexually,unless im on the gear then i have trouble getting it up :rolleyes: anyway hope they do the trick for you.

I was prescribed Sertraline last year because I suffer from severe health anxiety (as well as other forms of anxiety - worrying about career etc - which is one of my main worries). I went to the doctors thinking I was suffering from symptoms of a brain tumour, went three times before they referred me to a neurologist, ended up having an MRI and a lumbar puncture which all came back clear. I still have weird 'symptoms' that leave me feeling nauseous sometimes and I often wonder if something was missed - puts me into a panic and I struggle to sleep. It's so damn annoying, I have probably diagnosed myself with several type of cancer over the past few years. It really upsets me because there are people fighting for their lives out there and I am being a dick worrying about things instead of being greatful for my health. 

I don't want to take my prescription though - reason being, I read the side effects and some of the things on there are exactly what I am worrying about in the first place! 

Cant seem to win or catch a break, ever. **** mental health problems. 

• Like 1

I've had a number of people say over the years they think I might suffer from some sort of depression, and I'm convinced myself I suffer with something approaching anxiety, but I've never gone to a GP about it and never will. There's something that just makes me not want to broach that subject and whenever it becomes a problem just deal with it myself and get on with things. 

Saying that, recently I've had a few times where I can feel things just start to get on top of me and getting the feeling that my grip is tumbing away and that's been the hardest I can remember things beingwhere I've had to fight to keep a lid on it all.

But still I'll just assure myself there's nothing wrong and I'm over thinking things and crack on.

• Like 1

Yeah, theres something about having to pop a pill to just exist that is incredibly crippling on many levels.

Ultimately, I'd like to not be on any meds, but I think they might be needed right now.

8 hours ago, Chindie said:

I've had a number of people say over the years they think I might suffer from some sort of depression, and I'm convinced myself I suffer with something approaching anxiety, but I've never gone to a GP about it and never will. There's something that just makes me not want to broach that subject and whenever it becomes a problem just deal with it myself and get on with things. 

Saying that, recently I've had a few times where I can feel things just start to get on top of me and getting the feeling that my grip is tumbing away and that's been the hardest I can remember things beingwhere I've had to fight to keep a lid on it all.

But still I'll just assure myself there's nothing wrong and I'm over thinking things and crack on.

I was resistant to going to a GP and getting diagnosed, I think I didn't want to make it official and thought I could just ignore it. I only went when my wife forced me and yes in some ways it was crushing to have my concerns confirmed but in a greater way it was liberating to know that there was actually something wrong and that I could start to do something about it. Mental health is a tricky one due to the stigma, you would go see a doctor if you broke your leg and that's the way people need to start seeing depression/anxiety etc. It's not something to be feared or an admission of weakness, it is a sickness and can hit anybody no matter who they are or how successful or strong they are.

I sometimes think that it is a bit like an addiction, the first step is admitting it to yourself, realising you can do something about it and asking for help. Yes there might be some stigma to it but you don't have to make it public if you don't want to and what is worse; a bit of stigma or letting something take over and ruin your life?

If you don't want to see a GP and to try counselling or more medication, you could try taking some Saint John's Wort tablets thta are available in any pharmacy or Boots. I know people they work for.

7 hours ago, maqroll said:

Yeah, theres something about having to pop a pill to just exist that is incredibly crippling on many levels.

Ultimately, I'd like to not be on any meds, but I think they might be needed right now.

If you had cancer you wouldn't worry about taking meds. My hayfever is so bad that in summer that I physically cannot leave the house in summer without taking meds. Try thinking of it along those lines so that it doesn't worry you too much.

If you still struggle with it then talk to your GP again, it is what they are there for and there are alternative therapies out there that might work better for you.

7 hours ago, maqroll said:

I think it's how you think about it.  You exist anyway that is for sure, medication is just a method of getting the engine to run a bit more smoother.

I used to be really embarrassed about it all but as long as the positives out way the negatives then happy days.

So,  pop pills / to exist / incredibly crippling / many levels from your 1st sentence are all very negative IMO.

Try to rewrite it like you were selling the idea to a kid or something who needs to take it every day to live maybe ? (Trust me,  I said all these things and worse,  tried to take myself off things as I decided I did not need this shite but ultimately depression is ace at stopping you getting help remember.  People don''t close the curtains and stop answering the door / mobile becasue it helps.)

(I imagine that my depression is a small heath fan,  every time I smile and am genuinely happy throughout a day I just imagine one of them dies) but whatever rocks your boat like :-)

• Like 2

One week into Sertraline...it's a bit like taking speed. Teeth grinding, mild euphoria, increased heart rate...some insomnia. A friend hooked me up with a bit of weed to take the edge off. 

They say it takes a few weeks to kick in...we'll see. So far, it's acting as a straight up recreational drug...:huh:

17 hours ago, maqroll said:

One week into Sertraline...it's a bit like taking speed. Teeth grinding, mild euphoria, increased heart rate...some insomnia. A friend hooked me up with a bit of weed to take the edge off. 

They say it takes a few weeks to kick in...we'll see. So far, it's acting as a straight up recreational drug...:huh:

I'm into day 4 on citalopram, after reading the horror stories about side effects i think I'm getting off quite lightly, some vivid dreams, a bit of neusea and tiredness but otherwise ok.

11 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

I'm into day 4 on citalopram, after reading the horror stories about side effects i think I'm getting off quite lightly, some vivid dreams, a bit of neusea and tiredness but otherwise ok.

do your eyes start going heavy late afternoon,early evening?

3 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

do your eyes start going heavy late afternoon,early evening?

Not really, just a general feeling of tiredness every couple of hours, then I'm fine for a bit then I crash again, the dreams I'm getting though, I wake up and it's like they were real life, I get the occasional head ache but nothing major

have you had a beer on these yet? I'm supposed to be going out Saturday and whilst I'm not going to get smashed I would like a pint 

I was on Sertraline for a year. Didn't like being dependant on a drug. Withdrawal was awful. Whatever you do, ween yourself off it. I went cold turkey (not entirely my fault, I ran out of pills in Poland) and once I weathered two of the worst weeks of my life, I felt much better. Been pretty much panic and anxiety free for over a year now.

Just keep going, find things to do, get a new hobby, surround yourself with people. It's beatable :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

13 days on citalopram and little anxiety and no panic attacks, thought I was over the worst of them until yesterday afternoon had an huge panic attack, knocked me about for the rest of the day, hardly slept because of it and now I've spent all day anxious about having another panic attack

its a viscous circle and when its like this it's really impacting on my life, FFS I had walk out of asda earlier because I kept thinking "what if I have a heart attack here"

i know these tablets take some time to work but right now I feel worse than i ever did

1 minute ago, Jimzk5 said:

FFS I had walk out of asda earlier because I kept thinking "what if I have a heart attack here"

In this life there are only two things to worry about. 
Either you will be rich or poor.

If you are rich, there is nothing to worry about. 
But if you are poor, there are only two things to worry about.

Either you will be healthy or sick. 
If you are healthy, there is nothing to worry about.

But if you are sick, there are two things to worry about. 
Either you will live or you will die.

If you live, there is nothing to worry about. 
If you die there are only two things to worry about.

You will either go to heaven or to hell. 
If you go to heaven, there will be nothing to worry about.

If you go to hell, you'll be so darn busy shaking hands with all your friends, 
 you won't have time to worry!

SO WHY WORRY?

(OK, I know that probably doesn't help, sorry) 

• Like 2

i like that mooney. slightly off topic but when i was a tad younger it was all about the money and to hell with getting old.i used to say if i can live like a millionaire and die at 50 then id take it. as ive got a bit older and slightly wiser i now know its all about health not wealth because wealth is health. id take just getting by ok and living healthy until 80 anyday over my first sentence of dying early. add kids to your life and it changes things on how you view life and death.

• Like 1

Â