Weather...

Dodgyknees

8 hours ago, maqroll said:

Weird, Mike. I didnt read your post before I posted my sky observation a minute later. 

WOAHHHHHH

How was the moon when you got to that time? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s Prince Andrew I feel sorry for.

You know what, I was thinking about him today as well, nothing to do with the weather, just that he's a despicable fugitive from justice who we're just never going to talk about in The Discourse.

But yeah, hopefully he's suffering from severe water retention problems.

• Like 1

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

You know what, I was thinking about him today as well, nothing to do with the weather, just that he's a despicable fugitive from justice who we're just never going to talk about in The Discourse.

The absolute best he can come out of this as, is knowingly being the sleep over friend of a convicted sex offender.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I would think the dungeons at Windsor Castle are fairly cool. 

Hot and dry in my part of the world.

A week or so ago it 46 °C ...  a record. It was 31 °C inside the house at the time. Our air conditioning: is open all the windows with netting at night and hope the bears can't smell the food in the house ... or at least they are not that hungry. Since then its cooled down to more seasonal maxima of  37 to 40 °C

Today it is a balmy 32 °C ... feels almost cold.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 2

Been thinking about the "no point in having air conditioning in the UK for 2 weeks of hot weather only" thing. 

When does it become tenable? With global warming we seem to regularly now be getting 4 weeks of very hot weather, maybe it will be 6 or 8 weeks in future. 

It used to be you might get 1 or 2 really uncomfortable nights but I've barely slept for over a week now.   It looks like we might be getting another heatwave in August now too. 

and there will be even more of a problem with global warming if UK and Scandinavia start getting air conditioners. I would assume. 

Everybody here now seem to get a pool. Which is of course nice but we always have a problem with water supply when it's hot. That will escalate.

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Been thinking about the "no point in having air conditioning in the UK for 2 weeks of hot weather only" thing. 

When does it become tenable? With global warming we seem to regularly now be getting 4 weeks of very hot weather, maybe it will be 6 or 8 weeks in future. 

It used to be you might get 1 or 2 really uncomfortable nights but I've barely slept for over a week now.   It looks like we might be getting another heatwave in August now too. 

Its currently roughly 5% of all Europe has air con

Including Portugal, Spain, Italy, Greece etc the UK still has cooler summers than a lot of people, seriously the 30° weather warning is cute and I'm only in Germany not a "hot" country (but in 2 years I've had hotter than the UKs record temperature of 38.5° around 6 times already) 

There are alternative measures that are better suited to try first, like someone else said the traditional brick construction and insulation can change, the use of carpet, the style of windows, the use of blinds and or brise soliel

The other thing is as I keep being shouted at by my wife for it it needs a general change in mindset, she opens every window in the flat at 7am, then closes them all after about an hour, closes the brise soleil or angles it to keep the sun rays out, shuts all the doors, controls air flow, she won't open a window during the day 

Brise Soliel is the way forward not air con 

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Brise Soliel is the way forward not air con 

Brise Soliel is going to suit my traditional semi detached with bay windows down to the ground. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Brise Soliel is going to suit my traditional semi detached with bay windows down to the ground. 

stick something like this over the top of them it'll work!

http://www.nlcontracts.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/20180226_114813website-768x1024.jpg

it'll be an eye sore but it will work!

but honest thats the longer term solution for house building than air con

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

You can get 12000 BTU mobile air con units for around £300 now. I get more and more tempted to take the plunge for the relatively small outlay (even if it only gets a couple weeks of use per year).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

London going for the lost city of Atlantis look.

It’s been rather pleasant here. Took a jacket out with me today which turned out to be unnecessary.

Imagine if this had happened same time in 2012.

Hopefully if climate change starts wrecking London they will finally try to deal with it properly. 

26 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Hopefully if climate change starts wrecking London they will finally try to deal with it properly. 

Agreed. Plus London will be wrecked so a double win. 

/jk

• Like 1

Â