Red Bull Premier League team

villa4europe

ok, hypothetical question: Red Bull buys f.e. Juventus. Do you think that they would change the name or colours?

Yes. It's hypothetical but yes. You have to remember that Red Bull's sole motivation for buying a club is to promote their brand. Their drink. It is of little benefit to them if they are largely-invisibly pumping money into an entity that is not slapping you in the face with the fact that they are Red Bull.

ok, hypothetical question: Red Bull buys f.e. Juventus. Do you think that they would change the name or colours?

Yes. It's hypothetical but yes. You have to remember that Red Bull's sole motivation for buying a club is to promote their brand. Their drink. It is of little benefit to them if they are largely-invisibly pumping money into an entity that is not slapping you in the face with the fact that they are Red Bull.

I think that's an interesting aspect and one which I can argue against.  Whilst they've done that to gain promotion of the brand in Austria and New York, they are two clubs who otherwise enjoy little if any global coverage and who aren't commented on very often.

Manchester City are owned by the Abu Dhabi royal family, and research last year suggested that around 90% of the brand recognition of Abu Dhabi is through Manchester City.  They haven't had to change the name because the coverage of the Premier League and Champions League is such that it is mentioned regardless.  Etihad on the shirts is enough of a reminder.

Paris St Germain are the lead vehicle for the Qatari Investment Authority, and again people know that because of their actions and the further commentary on what has prompted those actions.  Emirates on the jersey serves as the reminder.

Could Red Bull in the Premier League, Serie A or La Liga operate in the same way?  A Red Bull shirt branding but without a name change.  Pumping in cash, achieving success and being recognised for that?

For as much as they've achieved publicity through name changes thus far, they can't take the other route.  A Zlatan or Aguero aren't going to play in Salzburg or New York whilst still in their prime.  It just won't happen.  They could buy a big club in a big league and achieve the brand recognition they crave in a different way because it's a different platform.

So another hypothetical scenario - Red Bull Arena instead of Villa Park.  Red Bull sponsor logo.  Club remains Aston Villa and the kit remains claret and blue.  You in or you out?

Edited by NurembergVillan
  • Like 1

So another hypothetical scenario - Red Bull Arena instead of Villa Park.  Red Bull sponsor logo.  Club remains Aston Villa and the kit remains claret and blue.  You in or you out?

That'd be about as much as I could personally stick with, but like BOF says if/when RB go for it, they won't be doing it piecemeal.

That'd be about as much as I could personally stick with, but like BOF says if/when RB go for it, they won't be doing it piecemeal.

As I said above, I don't know if that would be the case for two reasons - a) there isn't as much need; B) it could be counter-productive.  I don't know if we can assume they will run a template approach from a completely different platform.

New York are a team with no heritage so it was easy to go for the change, Salzburg are their local team who (if memory serves me correctly) were in deep financial trouble and so the company saved them, but at a cost.

I think that's an interesting aspect and one which I can argue against.  Whilst they've done that to gain promotion of the brand in Austria and New York, they are two clubs who otherwise enjoy little if any global coverage and who aren't commented on very often.

I'll add Germany as a project that's bubbling up nicely. They'll likely have a Bundesliga team in 2 seasons time with Red Bull Leipzig effortlessly sauntering through the divisions.

Red Bull's global marketing through the medium of football clubs, to date, has been done by having representation in specific markets rather than having a monster globally recognised 'franchise'. NY Red Bulls are their exposure into the American market. It doesn't have to be global. Probably isn't supposed to be global. It just has to work in America and I imagine it does quite successfully.

Salzburg is unique I believe, in that it is just because Red Bull is an Austrian company and they were always going to buy an Austrian team. Leipzig (read - Germany) is probably the natural progression for an Austrian company and they've done it the only way you can in Germany because of ownership laws over there.

I think you are right that their M.O. to date of buying clubs that are more easily assimilated into the RB family can only bring them so far if (and it is an 'if') their ultimate goal is to eventually buy a properly big club. It is still speculation that they'd want to do that. But then we're into the hypotheticals. On one hand they've yet to buy a big club. On the other hand they've also yet to buy a club and not make it a totally and utterly Red Bull entity. So we would be selling on faith. Not only selling on faith, but it would be selling to someone who has yet to do what they'd be selling to us i.e. keeping the identity intact.

As for your hypothetical scenario, having Red Bull as a shirt sponsor is not a problem as it's no different to having 32Red, Genting or LDV Vans. Renaming the stadium would stick in my craw and it's about as far as I'd ever want us to go. I'd give it a cautious yes but I'd be doing it under duress and with regret and resignation. So it'd be a "yes if you must but I'd rather not".

Someone mentioned Milton Keynes earlier in the thread and the more I think about it the more sense it makes. The F1 team are based there. It's a huge town, it could be up to half a million residents in ten or twenty years, they don't really have any local rivals and they clearly don't give a shit about tradition. I think the local council is so desperate to put MK on the map that that would bend over backwards to accommodate them too.

• Like 1

from the wikipedia: 

"The investment in SSV Markranstädt by Red Bull is not the company's first attempt to enter the Leipzig football scene. In 2006, it tried to purchase FC Sachsen Leipzig, a club with a rich tradition, but also plagued by constant financial trouble. After months of fan protests which deteriorated into violence, the company abandoned the plan."

i think that you all will know what to do if they'd want to change name, badge or our colours...

I will be very violent.  I will beat up like 100 cans of red bull.

from the wikipedia: 

"The investment in SSV Markranstädt by Red Bull is not the company's first attempt to enter the Leipzig football scene. In 2006, it tried to purchase FC Sachsen Leipzig, a club with a rich tradition, but also plagued by constant financial trouble. After months of fan protests which deteriorated into violence, the company abandoned the plan."

i think that you all will know what to do if they'd want to change name, badge or our colours...

I will be very violent.  I will beat up like 100 cans of red bull.

without paying obviously ;)

Agreed. I could just about take the stadium name change, because we, and everybody outside the media, would ignore it anyway.

Bradford City's ground has had several names (currently <snigger > The Coral Windows Stadium), but nobody - nobody - ever refers to it as anything except Valley Parade.

The Aston Villa club name and colours are sacrosanct though.

Sorry to bore anyone who had seen this already, but over on the stay away Randy thread about a month back I posted this link to a Small Heath forum (sorry) which contained this following post.

"Next takeover news Red Bull to takeover the Villa. Part of that deal new stadium name , Red Bull Stadium and not playing in Claret and Blue but Red Bull colours plus an attempt to rename club Red Bull Villa".

Someone asks if he's joking and he replies

"It is no joke. I was told last week a meeting of all managers at Villa Park was called informing them of major developments in the next few weeks concerning the ownership of the club. I managed to get bits of info from a manager present and the Red Bull story came up".

The guy who posted it seemed to have a reputation amongst them of being in the know, I know he posted about Paladini appearing on the Goalzone before it was officially announced.

But with Paul Faulkner meeting up with the Trust and what was said and Lambert's talk of how it's going to be in January I kind of dismissed it altogether.

Edited by useless

Aston Villa Red Bulls.....................

not feeling that tbh, if they want to plaster the red bull logo on the front of the shirt and name villa park red bull arena or something then that doesnt bother me too much. A kit change and a name change would be different.

I cant see this being true to be honest, I dont think Red Bull needs to make an impact on the UK market as they do pretty well here and the F1 team is alreday based in the UK.

Having said all that nothing bloody suprises me with this club anymore after the McLeish debacle!!

Sorry to bore anyone who had seen this already, but over on the stay away Randy thread about a month back I posted this link to a Small Heath forum (sorry) which contained this following post.

"Next takeover news Red Bull to takeover the Villa. Part of that deal new stadium name , Red Bull Stadium and not playing in Claret and Blue but Red Bull colours plus an attempt to rename club Red Bull Villa".

Someone asks if he's joking and he replies

"It is no joke. I was told last week a meeting of all managers at Villa Park was called informing them of major developments in the next few weeks concerning the ownership of the club. I managed to get bits of info from a manager present and the Red Bull story came up".

The guy who posted it seemed to have a reputation amongst them of being in the know, I know he posted about Paladini appearing on the Goalzone before it was officially announced.

But with Paul Faulkner meeting up with the Trust and what was said and Lambert's talk of how it's going to be in January I kind of dismissed it altogether.

Sounds like wishful thinking from the bluenoses.

I really hope Lerner would not entertain a Red Bull bid. 

Edited by LondonLax

Â