Red Bull Premier League team

villa4europe

a) because as I wrote before there's less need to in such a heavily broadcast league as ours; B) the FA don't just let owners change team names, as Dr Assam is finding out in Hull.

That's only because he asked too soon before this season started.  He's getting his way next season AFAIK.

The FA have "absolute discretion" on whether he can get away with it or not.

'Red Bull Aston Villa' or 'Aston Villa Red Bulls'.. hmm. I don't like the sound of it.

But would we prefer a different team in the league to become the new Man City, having money pumped in, another place in the top 4 taken and Villa pushed further down the league? That's the big question.

Like others, I could stomach a stadium name change/ shirt sponsor, and anything more would feel like the end of Aston Villa.

Would it stop me going to the games and supporting the team? Possibly not. I just don't think I could cut football out of my life like that, especially when it comes to a team that 'used to be' known as just 'Aston Villa'.

I find the 'Red Bull' sports franchise very, very odd.

I mean, they're putting a rather disproportionate amount of time and effort into selling an 'energy drink'. How many athletes would go near Red Bull anyway?

Very odd.

It's marketed at those in the ground - the fans etc. 

then hire Alex McLeish to boost sales with his brand of football  ;)

I think I'd take it if true actually. The 'soul' of our club will still be there, it'll just be corporately dismantled. It'd still be the Villa to us and Villa Park etc. And in any event, it wouldn't last forever. It'd just be an interesting new chapter in our club.

And as a young Villa fan, I have never known success and I am bored and tired of being such a nothing team every season. It does make you wonder what the point is. It's almost like 'if you can't beat them, join them' at this point with City and Chelsea. And is the soul of the club really the same as it was anyway? It's owned by a self-interested billionaire Yank, you can't stand in the ground, it's a big corporate machine etc. Times change, we might need to change with them.

And I'm also tired of hearing about the 82 success. That was so so so long ago now. We haven't won anything in any recent point in time that actually speaks to our success. History doesn't change, we will still have it but we can't just dwell on that forever and be a bit-part team. It gets tiring reading articles about our past glories all the time and it's almost embarrassing.

I wouldn't accept a name or colour change, but i'd play at Red Bull Stadium and have Red Bull colours for the away every year if it meant crazy investment that could make us a top club again.

We are a much bigger club than Wimbledon or Cardiff or Salzburg or Metrostars and we'll fight a crapload harder against a total rebranding.

What if they took us over, rebranded the whole works, erased our history, then a bunch of other billionaires take over at Swansea, Everton, Southampton and Fulham and we're still facing mediocrity?

No thanks.

As above, I could take the away kit and possibly a stadium name change, but any further and I'd rather support an average team doing it the right way.

Hated the very thought of this at first, but I tried to look at it with a youngsters perspective and you can see the argument. The kids following the Villa today want a taste of what those of us of a certain antiquity grew up on; tradition, cups, European glory and a hard-earned Championship. They don't have those memories, only listening to us old farts groan on and on about the good times and tbf its a completely different world to them. Its a commercial world, a globally exploding market and the youth know that companies like Red Bull is where its at and that clubs need to compete to have that success. TBH, I find it difficult to argue against it and the obvious investment it might generate.

The name though, hmm.......?. That would be a hard pill to swallow.

• Like 1

What if they took us over, rebranded the whole works, erased our history, then a bunch of other billionaires take over at Swansea, Everton, Southampton and Fulham and we're still facing mediocrity?

No thanks.

As above, I could take the away kit and possibly a stadium name change, but any further and I'd rather support an average team doing it the right way.

A lot of 'what ifs' in there.

You can never erase the history of the club, as that is there for the record books.  In that history however, the club has change its kit many many times, before settling on claret and blue.

If Red Bull came in to buy the club, changed the name of the ground, sponsored the shirts, gave us the Red Bull 'uniform' for the away kit I'd be okay with it.  Living in the UAE, I can tell you that the Man City profile over here is massive, yet they're still Man City. They are sponsored by Etihad and play at the Etihad, but they're still Man City. Etihad even means "United", but no one gives a shit, lol.

Aston Villa FC playing at the Red Bull Villa Park, owned and sponsored by Red Bull, competing for champions league football would be progressive evolution of the club for me.

Edited by StanBalaban
  • Like 1

Â