What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

right chaps, I am starting a new job and will have a 5k car allowance to go with it.  Rather that doing what I have always done and just drive my long in the tooth Saab and take the cash I intend to get a lease and drive something a little nicer.  With that sort of cash and no restrictions on type of car etc. what car would you recommend.  I will do 20k miles plus in the year so it will have to cope with that.  I'm thinking of getting the new Mustang....... 

1 hour ago, Straggler said:

right chaps, I am starting a new job and will have a 5k car allowance to go with it.  Rather that doing what I have always done and just drive my long in the tooth Saab and take the cash I intend to get a lease and drive something a little nicer.  With that sort of cash and no restrictions on type of car etc. what car would you recommend.  I will do 20k miles plus in the year so it will have to cope with that.  I'm thinking of getting the new Mustang....... 

Would love one but need a car that can seat adults in the back. Is there not a 12 month waiting list?

new mustang isnt the best for mpg from what ive seen, very nice though, ive got a 4 series and love it, i also like the A5 but thats due an upgrade later this year and i think a few of the audi range is getting upgraded this year so watch that, the mercedes range got upgraded last year so from what a lad in the office told me the rates on those arent great, think an e class was working out more affordable than a c class for him

2 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Didn't know about the waiting list for the Mustang. Thanks for that I'll check it out. A Mercedes sounds nice too and possibly a little cheaper to run.

12 mths is the rumour ... the review compared it a bmw M2 and said you could probably run 2 of them for the price of fuel you will put in the Mustang :)

also if you are planning to lease it , don't they usually work based on 10,000 miles per annum ..if you are running 20k , I think you will get crucified cost wise

• Like 1

Nah you can pay more and put as many miles on it as you like and you can chop it before you reach the end of the deal meaning you don't pay the 6p a mile penalty, you might have a bit of negative equity but you can lose that in the negotiation with the dealer for your next car

On 3/17/2016 at 17:23, NurembergVillan said:

Mustangs are driven high school girls in North America these days...

The 'stangs have always been the girliest of the pony/muscle cars... especially the V6 convertibles.

I hired a Mustang when I was in Miami. A lot were probably rentals like mine but they were very common on South Beach, much more so than a fiesta here. Although it was also cheaper to rent than it would be for a fiesta here.

As for the car itself, I liked the Mustang but I don't think I'd get one if I had the choice.

Bloke over the road from me got one about a month after I got my four series, not convinced to be honest, think the fx r sport is about the same price as mine, no doubt his has got some extra comfort things and buttons but I think the 4 series is sexier (and tbf the idrive in a bmw is ace)

On 3/18/2016 at 13:58, Straggler said:

Didn't know about the waiting list for the Mustang. Thanks for that I'll check it out. A Mercedes sounds nice too and possibly a little cheaper to run.

Get a Mercedes C250 diesel or the C300 hybrid if budget allows, I'm running one at the moment with Premium pack, heater seats. glass roof. Burmester sound system. All you'll ever need, an more than quick enough, 50 mpg too.

• Like 1

I'm test driving the c class merc  and jag xe this weekend. I'm looking forward to it. The deals available on the new xe are amazing though. 300 a month with a 500 deposit may prove too good to turn down.

• Like 1

On 09/03/2016 at 14:22, chrisp65 said:

I think it is. But you're dealing with a situation here where the specification I've been given to work with is:

1 - not a boring colour

2 - quite high up so it's easy for nan to get in and out

3 - a reversing camera

4 - quite big, but not too big

Budget?

Qashqai sounds perfect.

• Like 1

Yeah, Qashqai would be the choice if money wasn't an issue.

The car she's got at the moment is a Nissan Tino, it's the model before the Qashqai, so same dimensions, same camera and all that. Just looks utterly anonymous. But she bought it new 12 years ago and it's been brilliant. It's broken down twice in 12 years - both times I'd borrowed it and it was me wot broke it. Who knew it doesn't automatically shut down and switch off! Mine does, so I got out of it one night after borrowing it and walked off. Turns out you need to switch the lights off, close the windows, all that old tech stuff. Turns out you need to put the hand brake on too, it doesn't work it out for itself. Mine just says 'dickhead' in German and does all that admin stuff for me.

But the Qashqai with a few bells n whistles and a camera is over £20k new. The equivalent Suzuki is £16k. The Suzuki is 'new' so there's no second hand or used equivalent. A Qashqai that isn't a base model that comes in under the new Suzuki price is 3 years old. 

We keep on delaying and delaying. We're actually now considering just spending something like £1,500 getting the current car totally sorted and keeping that. If we can afford the £2k deposit on new, surely we can afford the £1,500 repair but then without the £150 a month for ever afterwards. 

Buying cheap used, i.e. something for £6/7/8k feels like a risk, we could end up repairing a £6k car just as soon as the existing 12 year old bugger.

Who knows, we've agreed not to discuss it this bank holiday weekend! Hired an Astra for a few days to stay mobile, but that's not a long term plan.

Plus of course, the more family budget goes on the family car, the less budget will be available for mine when mine eventually dies!

On 24 March 2016 at 10:58, Straggler said:

I'm test driving the c class merc  and jag xe this weekend. I'm looking forward to it. The deals available on the new xe are amazing though. 300 a month with a 500 deposit may prove too good to turn down.

For the love of all things, please check the small print!! 

I work in the industry and the amount of people who get tucked up with a '0% finance deal' or PCP contract is unreal. Closely followed by 'I got xxxx off a 6 month old blah blah' - trust me, the dealer saw you coming. 

And don't buy one either. Owning a car is risky at best, downright stupid at worst (unless it's a classic car investment, you intend to rally it or deliberately drive it off a cliff). 

If you like new cars, only keep them for 2-4 years at a time and want the easiest (and more often than not, the cheapest) way of doing it, then the only answer is Contract Hire.

Â