What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

On 08/05/2016 at 22:53, knoppy1987 said:

BOF - I have bought another Alfa. Old school this time - a 75 twinspark. Pictures to follow. 

I used to own one of them.  A 2 litre in black.  As Clarkson called them "A symphony of evil" :)  Hilariously complicated machine which ultimately resulted in me selling it.  In-board disks, RWD.  I basically bought a track car that I could do nothing to myself.  Good luck with yours.

Drive an A6 3 litre diesel which I bought only about 2 months ago... Some beast to move on the road... Surprisingly economical on the diesel as well. Everyone else on the road probably thinks I'm a knob but I'm ok with that! 

Edited by Lombardo
removing quote box

10 minutes ago, Lombardo said:

Everyone else on the road probably thinks I'm a knob but I'm ok with that! 

Yes07.gif

;);)

I had an Audi A7 rammed up my hole on a slow small straight urban road the other day.  He had just tore off a roundabout, almost like his mission was to catch me as fast as possible (we had been on different roads to that point so there was no beef).  Made visually worse by them having a particularly long bonnet.  I just laughed to myself as he kept the stereotype going :)  You'd think even amongst Audis the A7s might have more sense, but nope :) 

6 hours ago, BOF said:

I had an Audi A7 rammed up my hole on a slow small straight urban road the other day.  He had just tore off a roundabout, almost like his mission was to catch me as fast as possible (we had been on different roads to that point so there was no beef).  Made visually worse by them having a particularly long bonnet.  I just laughed to myself as he kept the stereotype going :)  You'd think even amongst Audis the A7s might have more sense, but nope :) 

4b7ppr3.png

8 hours ago, BOF said:

I used to own one of them.  A 2 litre in black.  As Clarkson called them "A symphony of evil" :)  Hilariously complicated machine which ultimately resulted in me selling it.  In-board disks, RWD.  I basically bought a track car that I could do nothing to myself.  Good luck with yours.

Haha - could not have put it better myself. The gearbox at the rear with inboard mount braking system is going to cause me heartache when I store it in the winters. 

Mine has not been track configured and I plan to keep it on the road. It does have the optional Recaro interior and the Revolution alloys (5 stud 15"). It is also black. It needs a new fuel pump which will be going on when I return home from Dublin on Saturday. The electric window switches are my favourite quirk thus far.  

• Like 1

Ah yes I knew there was another complication to it.  The gearbox at the back for perfect weight distribution.  A brilliant car albeit with 70s rear suspension but that just made it more fun coming off roundabouts :) 

Four zero star safety tests from Euro NCAP.  These cars are for the Indian car market where they basically don't give a shit.

I got a taxi from the station on Saturday ... was a Tesla 

Interior looked quite decent , the acceleration was good (alas he didn't have ludicrous mode) , obviously it was quiet  .... winner for me was that the door handles are electronic and came out when he unlocked the car .

I'd sorta convinced myself I didn't want one , but having been in one I'm sorta thinking about it again .. I still don't really think it's the right car for me and that Tesla have been making cars for about 6 weeks where as BWM, Jag etc have a lot more know how and thus anything they produce in the coming years will be far superior

Edited by tonyh29

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I got a taxi from the station on Saturday ... was a Tesla 

Interior looked quite decent , the acceleration was good (alas he didn't have ludicrous mode) , obviously it was quiet  .... winner for me was that the door handles are electronic and came out when he unlocked the car .

I'd sorta convinced myself I didn't want one , but having been in one I'm sorta thinking about it again .. I still don't really think it's the right car for me and that Tesla have been making cars for about 6 weeks where as BWM, Jag etc have a lot more know how and thus anything they produce in the coming years will be far superior

Why do you believe BMW and Jag etc will have far superior electric cars, when they have more know how with motors? 

All of Tesla's resources go towards electric engine cars. I get that they have less knowledge that the others regarding the rest of the car, but how important is that? Also Teslas have been around for a few years now and you dont hear of many problems with them.

My own thoughts are that Tesla will become a huge player in the car industry, especially looking at how many people have already ordered a 3. 

Time will tell but right now if you had to pick an electric car would it be the 3 or the i3

5 hours ago, BOF said:

Four zero star safety tests from Euro NCAP.  These cars are for the Indian car market where they basically don't give a shit.

Not quite, they're alternatives to scooters and bikes so in that sense they are a step-up in safety.

4 hours ago, zak said:

Why do you believe BMW and Jag etc will have far superior electric cars, when they have more know how with motors? 

All of Tesla's resources go towards electric engine cars. I get that they have less knowledge that the others regarding the rest of the car, but how important is that? Also Teslas have been around for a few years now and you dont hear of many problems with them.

My own thoughts are that Tesla will become a huge player in the car industry, especially looking at how many people have already ordered a 3. 

Time will tell but right now if you had to pick an electric car would it be the 3 or the i3

It's funny because it's people like Jaguar, Land-rover, BMW etc who are paying the design and development bills for Tesla. There is an environmental credit system in the states which means Tesla have a big surplus which they sell to the others to allow them to sell in their market.

It's a bizarre situation where you hand millions of dollars to your competitor every year.

2 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

Would everyone hate me if I said I have 8 cars....?

The fun part of the fleet includes 2 V8's and 3 convertibles.

My username is a clue to one of them

8 cars sounds like a triumph of an achievement.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BOF said:

This is something I've often wondered about the level of risk assessment of different nationalities. Here in the UAE the driving is pretty bonkers, but nothing compared to some other countries in the GCC, and certainly nothing compared to the Indian subcontinent. 

Parallels can be drawn in the anticipation of danger however. I regularly see cars driving a high speeds a couple of inches away from the bumper of the car in front. Then you'll see parents that are strapped in, yet they're holding their infant on their laps, no seatbelt and right in front of the passenger airbag. How can they not see the risks here?

It's not limited to driving. Construction and maintenance workers can regularly be seen doing something batshit crazy. Builders did up a garage for me and I quizzed then as to why they had no hard hays or steel toe caps (they were wearing sandals) and they looked perplexed. It's both fascinating and frustrating to witness first hand, especially when it comes to the kids in the cars. I know it's an education issue, but surely this must be obvious to any rational human being? 

Â