What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

spoke to a neighbour who is a mechanic in navan Renault we said pre 2008 Renaults electrics can be very hit and miss, but post 2008 Renaults are a lot more reliable   Im currently in negotiations with another Renault garage over a grand scenic 2010  

3 minutes ago, Meath_Villan said:

spoke to a neighbour who is a mechanic in navan Renault we said pre 2008 Renaults electrics can be very hit and miss, but post 2008 Renaults are a lot more reliable   Im currently in negotiations with another Renault garage over a grand scenic 2010  

Exactly, although I too know a Renault salesman & mechanic in Navan who say that generation of Renaults are 'buckets of shite'.  The newer stuff is better.  Not good but better, simply because the other stuff gave the reputation such a hammering that people were afraid to buy them again.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, darrenm said:

...For a first car I'd go for a Yaris, Corolla, Jazz, that sort of thing. They're cheaper to buy and you'll never spend a penny on fixing them. You just won't be as 'cool' in some people's eyes.

Yeah that sort of thing is a decent recommendation. One thing though, whilst they are well made and generally reliable cars, the spares and repairs for them can be more expensive than for (say) a fiesta or Polo. If something goes wrong, gets bent or whatever, then it may hit you in the pocket a bit harder - which leads me to the point about insurance - different insurance groups carry significantly different costs, so it's worth researching the group (or even getting quotes) for cars you might be interested in.

7 minutes ago, Meath_Villan said:

Out of interest how much did you pay for that machine dom ........id say the equivalent in the uk & Eire price wise would be a micra :D

I reckon it was a touch under 40k. 2013 Ford F-150 fx4 3.5L eco boost with appearance package and most the options. Added cover for bed. Spray in bed liner. Tinted windows. And now this stuff with the tires and level so reckon I've added 3500$ worth of extras. It's my baby and I will have it till it conks out!

5 hours ago, BOF said:

It's a Renault.  You can go very very very wrong.  Seriously, if you're going back in the years, don't buy a Renault.

£1400 for a modern looking, well spec'd car with sensible miles, full MOT, no advisories, Full service history & cam belt done. £30 a year to tax turbo diesel. If I remember correctly it was also the first car to ever get 5* Euro NCAP safety rating.

What more would you want for first car? :blink:

£1400 for a modern looking, well spec'd car with sensible miles, full MOT, no advisories, Full service history & cam belt done. £30 a year to tax turbo diesel. If I remember correctly it was also the first car to ever get 5* Euro NCAP safety rating.

What more would you want for first car? :blink:

Reliability.

Don't fall for the stereotype. 

I'm not. I hear all the horror stories. As I said, I have a few mates who sell and fix them for a living. But hey I'm only offering advice. If someone wants a ten year old Renault then fire away. You could get lucky.

As you are talking about Renault. When I bought my previous car at one of the dealerships I visited there were a Renault Megane and a Toyota Corolla next to each other, about same mileage and same year. Price difference was that the Renault was about 700 pounds cheaper. So I called a friend who works with car rentals and asked him why, to which he replied -That is because the cheap one is a shit car! 

A few years ago so things might have changed. 

With all due respect to the £1,000 budget, once you are in that price bracket there is an element of luck.

Faced with a Renault, a Jag, Disco, Fiat, Chrysler and an Alfa and they were all £995.....it's a brave person that would guarantee one over the others.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dom_Wren said:

This is my truck now, buddy took it to his dealership this am, for a 2" level kit and 35 inch Nitto Mud grappler tires. so will take some pics tomorrow to compare. Keeping the same rims.

2zz8ghs.jpg

icu3j6.jpg

Dom, I whole heartedly approve.

I'm running an F150 FX4 Supercab, with the 5.0 Coyote Engine, which I bought new in Platinum (silver), but I've since wrapped it in matte black with red pinstripe to match the interior,  and bolted on some Roush Superchargers and cold air intake. Now churns out 570bhp and it's a beast. Can highly recommend the mods.

Before

CBWgJOMUsAAn0uk.jpg

After

CHu1mdJUsAE6kjT.jpg

CHu5iUOUAAAXDqM.jpg

CY2iUmCUoAA13q6.jpg

Edited by StanBalaban
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Meath_Villan said:

bought a renault megane for £700 once. When you braked, the indicators all lit up but the brake lights didnt. i didnt know why I was constantly getting road raged on (in Glasgow) for the first month or so til someone pointed it out

Â