What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

4 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Oh really? They're nowhere near that here. I paid about half that for this one with 100k (kms), so around 60k miles, mechanically sound but a bit rough around the edges cosmetically. Looking to bring it up to code like I did with the 740i I bought, along with a new paint job. I'm hoping to stick some Alpina rims on it too and use it as a proper weekend car.

The Maserati deal fell through as the car had been in front-end smash that wasn't documented. To be fair it was a completely unnecessary purchase so that's probably done me a favour as I've got the truck to get around in day-to-day.

Sorry, I meant only about fifteen 8 series for sale in the whole of the UK on autotrader. Seem a rare model now

Prices are about £9k upwards

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

Sorry, I meant only about fifteen 8 series for sale in the whole of the UK on autotrader. Seem a rare model now

Prices are about £9k upwards

Ah yeah, they're getting more rare for sure. I wouldn't say that you'll make money on one, but you shouldn't lose too much.

I had a Porsche 996 C4S that was in amazing condition. The 996 became very affordable, hence many of them were neglected as they were run on a budget. The good ones then went up again as the majority of them were dogs. For cars like this, if you pick a good 'un, you really can get most of your money back if you look after them. 

If you find a good 8 series and it's in budget, I wouldn't hesitate. Mechanically, they're not that complex. You're more likely to have something go wrong due to a rubber hose that's perished rather than something mechanical going fundamentally pop.

What's a good first car these days? I finally passed my driving test and have just realised that I have absolutely no idea what are and are not decent first cars now... My family has always had a strange affinity with VW so I subconsciously lean towards an early 00s Polo or something, but for all I know now that could be a time bomb or an enormous cash sink.

22 minutes ago, Chindie said:

What's a good first car these days? .

On the presumption you're not a petrol head supermarket car park racer, just about anything.

Avoid anything old with jaguar or land rover written on the back.

After that, it comes down to brand snobbery and your favourite colour.

Don't presume a used car is cheaper than a new one.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chindie said:

What's a good first car these days? I finally passed my driving test and have just realised that I have absolutely no idea what are and are not decent first cars now... My family has always had a strange affinity with VW so I subconsciously lean towards an early 00s Polo or something, but for all I know now that could be a time bomb or an enormous cash sink.

There's no single ideal, but there are some pointers and things to consider/be aware of.

In no particular order

What you want the car for - daily commute in town/daily commute on motorway/occasional journey to visit...carting friends and family about....

In turn that will influence things like how fuel efficient it should be, what size it should be (2 seat, 4 seat, people carrier..).

As a new-ish driver you may be at risk of biffing or bending it - so perhaps a gleaming, expensive pride and joy may not be that appropriate.

Once you've narrowed down what you're looking for to a category (e.g. small hatch/ 4 seat saloon/roadster/whatever) then you can think about budget and then start looking at specific options

e.g. 2 grand for a small hatchback. - so that means you can then start looking at what you get for that money in that class.

Once you're at that stage, maybe talk to a colleague of friend with genuine car knowledge to see if they will help, but you're now at the point of viewing/test driving.

• Like 1

Much appreciated.

I'm bound to end up crashing it so I'll be looking under a grand I think. It'll just be used for commuting, as the bus can **** off frankly at this point, and general running about. Needs to be reasonably practical as it'll be a shopping mobile and perhaps holiday transport.

Basically, a hatchback then. It's gonna be a Polo :)

18 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Much appreciated.

welks.

Polos are pretty good and dependable - but as part of a family of VAG cars that all share many common parts - there are SEATs and Skodas which are much the same under the skin, but cheaper. Ford Fiestas also are a good run around.

At that price there should be plenty of choice of cars - don't just buy the first one you see. If at all possible get someone who knows what top look for to go with you. Look at and drive a few - if only to educate yourself and have a comparison in your head. Small Toyotas are also a good choice.

Worth checking out online guides before going to look at one, so for example if you're going to look at Polos, google buying a used Polo guide and make a few notes to take with you.

4 hours ago, Chindie said:

Much appreciated.

I'm bound to end up crashing it so I'll be looking under a grand I think. It'll just be used for commuting, as the bus can **** off frankly at this point, and general running about. Needs to be reasonably practical as it'll be a shopping mobile and perhaps holiday transport.

Maybe a cheap Renault diesel (serious). They are well cheap and the 1.3 & 1.5 diesel engines are nippy and something like £0 - £30 a year to tax.

Clio or Megane, do it.

4 hours ago, blandy said:

welks.

Polos are pretty good and dependable - but as part of a family of VAG cars that all share many common parts - there are SEATs and Skodas which are much the same under the skin, but cheaper. Ford Fiestas also are a good run around.

At that price there should be plenty of choice of cars - don't just buy the first one you see. If at all possible get someone who knows what top look for to go with you. Look at and drive a few - if only to educate yourself and have a comparison in your head. Small Toyotas are also a good choice.

Worth checking out online guides before going to look at one, so for example if you're going to look at Polos, google buying a used Polo guide and make a few notes to take with you.

Yeah I know the VAG family thing. Polo - Fabia - Ibiza, etc. My brother, who is more of a petrol head than me, is gonna give me a hand.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Genie said:

Maybe a cheap Renault diesel (serious). They are well cheap and the 1.3 & 1.5 diesel engines are nippy and something like £0 - £30 a year to tax.

Clio or Megane, do it.

I probably wouldn't get the benefit from a diesel as my driving is going to be 95% urban journeys with probably no more than an hours run at a time.

But Renault's are in the radar. I always quite liked the early 00s Megane and Clio.

7 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I probably wouldn't get the benefit from a diesel as my driving is going to be 95% urban journeys with probably no more than an hours run at a time.

But Renault's are in the radar. I always quite liked the early 00s Megane and Clio.

A diesel wouldnt be any worse than a petrol around town, you also get the benefit of a turbo and you'll be £10-£15 a month better off as not paying road tax. The petrols are alright but very sluggish. The turbo on the diesels just gets you off the mark when you wanta bit of extra poke.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

I always hear "don't buy French" but they can't be that bad. Maybe that is why the price is more reasonable and could play into your favour. 

I would highly recommend SEAT. I've had an Ibiza for 3 years and no issues (touch wood). I personally can't wait till this new Alteca SEAT comes out, looks pretty good! (and more affordable than usual SUVs)

13 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

When people say "10 years ago" I still think they mean 1990

YES! OMG YES!

Other things; I still think Spice Girls are somewhere touring.

Oasis are still the biggest band in the UK

Tony Blair is still cool

I only left high school 3 years ago (it's been 13 years apparently) 

The new car reg is an M reg

I could still look cool on roller blades

Villa won the league cup about 5 years ago

The 70s were like, a million years ago maaaaan.

Coldplay are some unknown hipster band who had a cool video in The Scientist - but they probably won't do anything.

I reckon I could still be a footballer when I'm older (I'm nearly 29)

OMG I AM GOING TO DIE OF OLD MAN AGE IN LIKE 6 MORE OF THESE WEIRDLY FAST MOVING YEARS.

15 hours ago, Genie said:

Something like this from a quick look on ebay, cant go wrong for £1400.

It's a Renault.  You can go very very very wrong.  Seriously, if you're going back in the years, don't buy a Renault.

• Like 1

VAG stuff of yesteryear is pretty good but they all have their faults. When you're buying a higher mileage example it will need stuff doing like worn out wheel bearings, steering and suspension etc. Also as they command a higher price you'll be going older and higher mileage for your money.

I don't think I'll buy anything non-Japanese again. The dependability is ridiculous. They just work, and carry on working. It's a hassle removed from your life.

For a first car I'd go for a Yaris, Corolla, Jazz, that sort of thing. They're cheaper to buy and you'll never spend a penny on fixing them. You just won't be as 'cool' in some people's eyes.

Â