What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

49 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'd go used. Let someone else take the depreciation hit. Get a model a couple years old and depending on marque, should still have some warranty left. 

I agree, get approved used from main dealer with a string warranty.

I’m no brand snob on cars, but couldn’t touch a Dacia. It’s entire USP is “built to a cost”. People I know that have lived with them have said they are awful. Comparable to cars 20 years ago for refinement, handling etc.

They look ok on paper but not a very enjoyable user experience.

9 hours ago, Genie said:

I agree, get approved used from main dealer with a string warranty.

I’m no brand snob on cars, but couldn’t touch a Dacia. It’s entire USP is “built to a cost”. People I know that have lived with them have said they are awful. Comparable to cars 20 years ago for refinement, handling etc.

They look ok on paper but not a very enjoyable user experience.

Refinement and handling never even enter my considerations, never have in 35 years of motoring. It's all about transporting children short distances!

16 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Refinement and handling never even enter my considerations, never have in 35 years of motoring. It's all about transporting children short distances!

Reliability & safety

2.0 / 5

This is one area where the cost-conscious nature of the Dacia Duster is an issue

Dacia models have traditionally had a mixed safety record, because in its efforts to make cars as affordable as possible, some of the latest safety technology has been left out. Sadly, the latest Duster is no exception, because despite having the most comprehensive kit so far, it could only muster three stars in Euro NCAP tests.

Dacia also has work to do if it wants to improve customer satisfaction, with a worrying last-place performance in our 2018 Driver Power owner survey, two spots behind parent company Renault.

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/dacia/duster/suv/reliability

For around 12 grand you could get a 1-1.5 year old Ford Kuga, miles better in every way and plenty of manufacturers warranty.

Edited by Genie

1 hour ago, Genie said:

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/dacia/duster/suv/reliability

For around 12 grand you could get a 1-1.5 year old Ford Kuga, miles better in every way and plenty of manufacturers warranty.

Hmm. Reviews would suggest that the Kuga is not very roomy inside. My daughter has a C-Max, and that seems a bit too big. 

I would stay away from Dacia on the basis that it is a budget built, old version Renault. Which makes it about as reliable as Nigel Callaghan. Id rather find something Korean of I was hunting budget, assuming they have a suitable model.

Lease a Skoda Scala, £150 a month, same price you can lease an MG ZS.

No worries about depreciation at the end of a lease. No worries about trying to get money for your petrol or diesel car in 3 or 4 years time.

Car reviews are ok, and if they say a car stinks, that’s fair enough. But always be wary that they’ve been reviewed by people doing what you will be doing. Haven’t looked them up, but I bet reviews of MG’s are presuming people want a car that can do 20,000 motorway miles and get to 65mph absolutely as fast as possible with minimal side flanking wind noise and a responsive clutch on a change down. Whereas you might want a phone point and cup holders in the back and the ability to get a child seat in and out comfortably when you go to Monkey World Play Park.

When I was buying a car with 2 kids to carry around the reviews would generally tell me how responsive the engine was but not wether a 4 year old could see out of the window. Car reviews are often written by ‘car people’ and they are the worst kind of people.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

No worries about depreciation at the end of a lease. No worries about trying to get money for your petrol or diesel car in 3 or 4 years time.

Car reviews are ok, and if they say a car stinks, that’s fair enough. But always be wary that they’ve been reviewed by people doing what you will be doing. Haven’t looked them up, but I bet reviews of MG’s are presuming people want a car that can do 20,000 motorway miles and get to 65mph absolutely as fast as possible with minimal side flanking wind noise and a responsive clutch on a change down. Whereas you might want a phone point and cup holders in the back and the ability to get a child seat in and out comfortably when you go to Monkey World Play Park.

When I was buying a car with 2 kids to carry around the reviews would generally tell me how responsive the engine was but not wether a 4 year old could see out of the window. Car reviews are often written by ‘car people’ and they are the worst kind of people.

Very true. I normally steer clear of this thread for that very reason!   :) 

I notice that for every person that says "(x) is a pile of crap, never buy one", there is someone else who will say "(x) is great best car I ever had". I'm convinced that no make is actually different to any other, but individual cars vary massively, and it's pot luck what comes off the assembly line. 

My requirements are simple (but of course hard to satisfy):  

(1) As TARDIS as possible: small outside (so I can get it through my narrow drive entrance), huge inside (three kids, pushchairs, luggage, etc.) 

(2) Cheap to buy - price range £10K to £14K, max. 

(3) Cheap to maintain (spares prices, etc.) 

Nothing else (name, style, performance, fancy features, etc.) matters much. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I was going to suggest looking at a ‘lease’ as well @mjmooney

The Tardis thing might be an issue, as (you’ve already discovered) cars that take 3 proper car seats in the back a few and far between (and ££££) 

Neither of these might be appealing choices, but both the Nissan X-trail and Seat Tarraco offer good 7 seat options that could work and they aren’t ridiculously expensive on lease? Possibly too big, but might be worth a look?

Not sure if either have proper isofix points in the rear seats though, but again if you are looking for 3 isofix points in one row of seating, there is very little choice available. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Strangely, the review of the Skoda Scala says you can get three in the back, but its narrow. Which kind of ticks two of the specification points.

I can't seem to find anywhere that tells you have many isofix points it has? 

There's a few that claim to take 3 car seats in the rear row, but they only have 2 isofix points, so I'm assuming the third could only be a booster/smaller seat? 

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Hmm. Reviews would suggest that the Kuga is not very roomy inside. My daughter has a C-Max, and that seems a bit too big. 

Kuga pretty big inside, but pretty big outside too.

I’d honestly have any other car, old or new before Dacia Duster. 
The single thing they have going for them is that they are cheap, and they’ve cut a lot of corners to do that. 

This is a bargain @mjmooney and will be miles better than the Dacia

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/pre-reg-peugeot-2008-suv-12-puretech-110-signature-5dr-12999-at-eden-3387817

Peugeot 2008 SUV in Signature 1.2 - 110bhp petrol 6 speed manual specification, yours for just £12,995. That's a saving of £6,721 off the manufacturer RRP!

Features of the Signature specification include:

• Bluetooth connectivity
  • 7" Multifunction colour touchscreen
  • DAB Digital radio
  • Mirror Screen + CarPlay + Android Auto
  • Cruise Control with Speed Limiter
  • Rear parking sensors
  • LED Daytime Running lights
  • 16" alloy wheels
  • Roof bars
  • Automatic headlights
  • Auto windscreen wipers

EDIT: This is probably even better buy, the new 2020 shape for ~£250 more.

https://www.bristolstreet.co.uk/new-car-deals/peugeot/2008/signature/244018/peugeot-2008-1.2-puretech-110-signature-5dr-petrol-estate/

Edited by Genie
  • Thanks 1

In the last stages of doing the maths/ test driving/ choosing options on a Volvo XC40. Wife wants us to have a bigger car but I find the german suv/ crossovers a little uninspiring. I also find the Volvo' s a little less flash  which kind of suits me. Going from a battered old civic I may find the multistories etc a bit hairy at first but will hopefully get used to it 

• 5 weeks later...

Going to buy a car soon, will need one by March at the latest. I've narrowed it down to between three hatchbacks:

• Subaru Impreza
  • Volkswagen Golf
  • Ford Focus

Are these models overseas? I'm assuming the Golf would be for sure. Any problems to be wary of? I hear transmission can be problematic.

Seeing as an automobile is one purchase that ensures you'll never see a return on investment, I should do my research and thoroughly inspect any car.

Spoke to a dealership with whom I came very close to purchasing a Golf from, additional 3 year warranty for $300AUD was on offer, but the car was sold before I could test drive.

Anyway, any insight into the three vehicles mentioned, or hatchbacks in general, would be received well.

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

Going to buy a car soon, will need one by March at the latest. I've narrowed it down to between three hatchbacks:

• Subaru Impreza
  • Volkswagen Golf
  • Ford Focus

Are these models overseas? I'm assuming the Golf would be for sure. Any problems to be wary of? I hear transmission can be problematic.

Seeing as an automobile is one purchase that ensures you'll never see a return on investment, I should do my research and thoroughly inspect any car.

Spoke to a dealership with whom I came very close to purchasing a Golf from, additional 3 year warranty for $300AUD was on offer, but the car was sold before I could test drive.

Anyway, any insight into the three vehicles mentioned, or hatchbacks in general, would be received well.

Yes you can get those here and most countries, too.

Assuming you're planning to buy used rather than new, and you've narrowed down to that choice because that's the type of vehicle you need, then there's a few other factors to think about maybe

1. Condition of vehicle - high mileage, general condition.

2. Length of any warranty or any servicing deal

3. Kit inside - air con, stereo, sunroof... etc. 

They're all 3 pretty reliable models if maintained properly. I've had a few golfs, and they're good motors. the Focus is pretty decent to drive, and probably cheaper to buy and service. Subaru with the four wheel drive - do you need that? Fewer dealers and less common parts, perhaps. But they're damned good cars.

Me, I'd get the golf, but then I'm not you.

• Thanks 1

Â