What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

I think the i-Pace is going to be my next car.  Was planning on getting one just before lockdown, but then couldn't sell mine.

This what I want more than life itself though, so hurry up and make them VW:

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/concept/we-go-driving-and-surfing-volkswagen-id-buzz

VW ID Buzz, ie electric camper van.

Take my money!

• Like 1

VW have been trailing versions of the new camper / micro bus from about the same time as they trailed a new Beetle. Which has since gone in to production, had some model updates and finished production.

I think VW just use it as a permanent marketing tool so people will buy a Tiguan or a Sharan.

10 / 15 years ago they had people test driving and reviewing prototype campers excited to find out what the price point was going to be when officially on sale.

21 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Remember a couple of months back when kids could ride their bikes in the street and you could hear birds in the trees.

Good that, wasn’t it?

No! Get back to school you lazy slobs! 

Not really 😏

4 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

VW have been trailing versions of the new camper / micro bus from about the same time as they trailed a new Beetle. Which has since gone in to production, had some model updates and finished production.

I think VW just use it as a permanent marketing tool so people will buy a Tiguan or a Sharan.

10 / 15 years ago they had people test driving and reviewing prototype campers excited to find out what the price point was going to be when officially on sale.

The california is really popular here, to be fair apart from the passat / Airton whatever its called just about all VW are popular here

Sat in a T roc yesterday too, looks alright frim outside but shocking inside, so basic and so much cheap plastic 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The california is really popular here, to be fair apart from the passat / Airton whatever its called just about all VW are popular here

Sat in a T roc yesterday too, looks alright frim outside but shocking inside, so basic and so much cheap plastic 

I had a very quick look at the Roc and couldn’t see what I’d be paying for over the Seat and Skoda versions, not when you then add in the extra insurance and the extra servicing costs.

Plus the fact that here, the VW franchise is so far up it’s own arse it’s actually quite entertaining to go in there and pretend to be a punter.

On 05/07/2020 at 15:40, villa4europe said:

I came out of an A5 coupé into a Tiguan. The thinking was I’d get all the upgrades (HUD, panoramic roof, upgraded tech pack) and still save money compared to the equivalent Audi. Persuaded my old man out of his A4 and into a T-Roc shortly thereafter for the same reason. 
We both regret it now. We saved money but sacrificed a lot on build quality. It’s so plasticy inside and nowhere near as well put together and with the amount of driving I do about 30k miles a year) it’s nowhere near as comfortable. 
Won’t be making a change for at least a year yet but I think I want to go back to something a bit better built with the next one. I’ve never once benefitted from the panoramic roof. 

Edited by choffer
  • Like 1

I was looking at a R or GTI 2 years back and even that wasn't good

Went to 9 showrooms I think in 1 day to try and find my motor, the cab is the most important part for me, I ended up with an audi S4, it's awesome, got the virtual cockpit too, that and the black trim pack was all it needed (I have all black everything on it, trim, windows, brakes) the only other car that came close for cab quality was volvo but I couldn't get as good a deal (the S4 is 2% Apr so monthly payments are OK) 

6 hours ago, Risso said:

I think the i-Pace is going to be my next car.  Was planning on getting one just before lockdown, but then couldn't sell mine.

This what I want more than life itself though, so hurry up and make them VW:

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/concept/we-go-driving-and-surfing-volkswagen-id-buzz

VW ID Buzz, ie electric camper van.

Take my money!

Would you want I-Pace ahead of Tesla? 

I had a Scirocco R that was stolen last week. Only had a week left til it was due to be returned too... But anyway, not point of this post exactly...

I'm in the process of ordering the Toyota CHR Orange Edition. Change of pace (literally - its much slower!) and with hybrid and various safety features it's a much more sensible choice.

However, with what happened, I'm paranoid about theft now. Anyone got any experience with Autowatch Ghost systems? They are apparently now approved by insurance companies as of 1st March and the idea of preventing a theft appeals far more than just being able to track it once it's gone.

On 05/07/2020 at 17:59, KenjiOgiwara said:

Would you want I-Pace ahead of Tesla? 

Yep, we had the Tesla X on test drive.  The gull wing doors are fun, but other than that they're stupidly over-priced in my opinion.  They just feel very cheaply put together and basic, and overall they look like a Ford Galaxy or something.  The enormous iPad centre console thing is really crap as well.  Some nice features, and they're batshit crazy fast, just not worth the huge amount of money one would set you back.

On 04/07/2020 at 16:03, Xela said:

The car JLR should have made?

Jim Radcliffe, the owner of Ineos and major Brexit supporter, 

The Brits are perfectly capable of managing the Brits and don't need Brussels telling them how to manage things.

I think the U.K. would be perfectly successful as a standalone country

Brussels has become inefficient and very bureaucratic, which makes it slow to do things. The concept of the United States of Europe will never work.

You know the guy, he moved to Monaco.

Well he’s just stopped construction of the Ineos factory here, he thinks it might be better off in the EU.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Jim Radcliffe, the owner of Ineos and major Brexit supporter, 

You know the guy, he moved to Monaco.

Well he’s just stopped construction of the Ineos factory here, he thinks it might be better off in the EU.

What was the quote? People that think Brexit is a good idea are either rich or stupid. Take a look in your wallet go see which you are. Something like that...

My car has had a recurring issue for about a year. Put the AC on and about 30 seconds later the radiator fan goes into overdrive. That then remains on for about 5-10 minutes afterwards. A bit of self diagnosis and I got it down to a relatively cheap easy to swap fan relay. My wife says NO, take it to a garage and now lots of labour later and apparent problem with the electrics I am awaiting the bill.  

How much do you guys spend on your cars? 

I'm quite cheap and prefer stocks and savings over cars, but I've wondered how much people put into it. 

I live in the city centre so got no use for cars or motorcycles other than the fun aspect. I kinda wanna get myself a Ferrari 458, but it breaks all my principles. 

So by salary percentage, how much goes into your car(s)? 

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

My car has had a recurring issue for about a year. Put the AC on and about 30 seconds later the radiator fan goes into overdrive. That then remains on for about 5-10 minutes afterwards. A bit of self diagnosis and I got it down to a relatively cheap easy to swap fan relay. My wife says NO, take it to a garage and now lots of labour later and apparent problem with the electrics I am awaiting the bill.  

Pretty much all cars I am aware of will activate the fan when the AC goes on.

Is the fan just noisy, or slightly broken causing the noise. 

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

Pretty much all cars I am aware of will activate the fan when the AC goes on.

Is the fan just noisy, or slightly broken causing the noise. 

Noisy and stays on for ten minutes after the ignition key is removed. The only positive is I can locate my car in a carpark by listening. 

• Haha 1

Â