World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

Just now, duke313 said:

The match times would be a nightmare though, for us in Europe anyway.

Too young for 2002? I loved waking up at half 9 on a Sunday and having a game starting in half hour in those times. Also watched England-Brazil in the school assembly hall having breakfast and then half the school then ran out to the school field on the final whistle to have a massive game which delayed lessons by half an hour!🤣

Now that was a unique World cup for plenty of reasons even if the actual games weren't great.

It's a similar format to this one, you just lose the tea time and evening games but then other parts of the world like Argentina will be watching their opener at 6am I think.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Isn't it only about 7-8 hours time difference to Perth and even Melbourne?

It would just be similar to Japan/Korea. Half 12 would be the prime time game. Infact given games in this are kicking off at 10pm local time you could probably sneak in a 2pm game to stretch a bit more into a european afternoon. Not ideal though given it would be their winter.

Hopefully next summer will go brilliantly and Fifa will wake up a bit. Uruguay/Argentina/Chile in 2030 and then Australia a cycle or two later would restore some credibility in terms of locations.

Its 11 hours to Sydney/Melbourne and then probably 15 hours to US and South America with the US being a market FIFA are looking to get into

I'd love to see the actual exchange..bet whichever foreign journalist said it as a sort of joke and Infantino in his no s**ts mood took it as seriously as possible.

It was always said Blatter's big goal was to win the Nobel peace Prize, hopefully Infantino reign ends as shamefully as his did one day.

1 hour ago, AJ said:

So, here I am. I am not watching the games. The only stuff about the World Cup I am getting is from my news feeds and the lovely people on Villa Talk.

1 hour ago, Tegis said:

Same!

Day 2 ✅

Amen sisters 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Too young for 2002? I loved waking up at half 9 on a Sunday and having a game starting in half hour in those times. Also watched England-Brazil in the school assembly hall having breakfast and then half the school then ran out to the school field on the final whistle to have a massive game which delayed lessons by half an hour!🤣

Now that was a unique World cup for plenty of reasons even if the actual games weren't great.

It's a similar format to this one, you just lose the tea time and evening games but then other parts of the world like Argentina will be watching their opener at 6am I think.

I watched a game in a pub (England v Nigeria - think it was 0-0) at 7:30am on a work day! I never drank but colleagues were knocking back pints with breakfast and then heading to the office! Only 20 years ago, but you'd get the sack now for that!

Some Place Else was the pub, top of Broad St (where the Park Regis hotel now is) is anyone was interested. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

I watched a game in a pub (England v Nigeria - think it was 0-0) at 7:30am on a work day! I never drank but colleagues were knocking back pints with breakfast and then heading to the office! Only 20 years ago, but you'd get the sack now for that!

Some Place Else was the pub, top of Broad St (where the Park Regis hotel now is) is anyone was interested. 

I only had a 2 or 3 for that game. Couldn't go too mad as had a media studies a level exam at 10

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Xela said:

Yep, that's what me and some of my workmates did. Pub near work opened early, showed the matches, and did full English breakfasts. Washed down by three or four pints, and then we went into the office. 

It was great.  :)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yep, that's what me and some of my workmates did. Pub near work opened early, showed the matches, and did full English breakfasts. Washed down by three or four pints, and then we went into the office. 

It was great.  :)

I was working at B&Q at the time in the building section, I was 17 and they opened the smoking room so you could watch it but our boss told us we could go to the pub up the road if we wanted...me being 17 that was a very bad idea, 90 minutes of bladdering down pints and whiskey, went back to work and me and my two pals were steaming, my boss gave us a bollocking and basically made us hide from the customers for the next 3 hours.

great times

What I don’t get when someone like England plays Iran, is why they didn’t just sub in someone not likely to play for the start of the game, stick the armband on him, take the yellow, sub him out and then continue. It’d bypass FIFAs butthurt and make them look really silly.

19 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

What I don’t get when someone like England plays Iran, is why they didn’t just sub in someone not likely to play for the start of the game, stick the armband on him, take the yellow, sub him out and then continue. It’d bypass FIFAs butthurt and make them look really silly.

Because the FA, FIFA, the Sheiks, the sponsors and the rest of the prawn sandwich brigade all stroke each other during half time so don't want to piss off one another. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Because the FA, FIFA, the Sheiks, the sponsors and the rest of the prawn sandwich brigade all stroke each other during half time so don't want to piss off one another. 

Clearly the man with the purse strings in Qatar has FIFA around his little finger. And we know preci$ely why.

Move the first game at short notice? No problem

Move beer sales stands at 2 days notice? No problem

Delete the beer sales stands at 1 days notice? No problem

Scrap the one love arm band? No problem

Ban anything with 3 or more colours? No problem

It isn’t FIFA doing this as it goes against a lot of the messages they are trying to send. It’s Qatar using the puppet they paid a lot of money for. Infantino and FIFA know they cannot risk the truth coming out.

• Like 4

Â