World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

2 hours ago, Rustibrooks said:

I noticed MBS sat there in the elite seats. I guess all is forgiven from that bit a couple of years back when he threatened to dig a canal that turned Qatar into an island, and then fill it with (as I recall?) nuclear waste. 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Not as much as he loves money

Hmm...

There has been so much talk about human rights with migrant workers and the LGBT community from just about every football association (well.. at least from those in the western world) .....

... and yet not one of them boycotted the event. Can you guess why? Yep - money.

My home nation is a classic example. We put out a social media statement from the players themselves condemning the human rights record in Qatar - but we still went because we want the money. It's not like we need it - the old administration managed to get by while we didn't make a world cup for 40 years.

Qatar should never have won the rights and the Australian bid was one that suffered as a result. Despite being one of the strongest bids, we went out in the first round. Suss, no? Another reason for Football Australia to boycott.

... but that's the thing about principles, innit?. When it hurts... suddenly they are more like guidelines.

Just now, ozvillafan said:

Hmm...

There has been so much talk about human rights with migrant workers and the LGBT community from just about every football association (well.. at least from those in the western world) .....

... and yet not one of them boycotted the event. Can you guess why? Yep - money.

My home nation is a classic example. We put out a social media statement from the players themselves condemning the human rights record in Qatar - but we still went because we want the money. It's not like we need it - the old administration managed to get by while we didn't make a world cup for 40 years.

Qatar should never have won the rights and the Australian bid was one that suffered as a result. Despite being one of the strongest bids, we went out in the first round. Suss, no? Another reason for Football Australia to boycott.

... but that's the thing about principles, innit?. When it hurts... suddenly they are more like guidelines.

To be fair it ain’t easy to boycott the biggest sporting event in the world. Would be the right thing to do but it would also be denying many fans something they wait 4 years for. Especially younger supporters who have no idea about the off field stuff. 

4 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Hmm...

Access to their natural gas is probably another reason.

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Its not ruined by virtue signalling

Its ruined by them selling the world cup to a country who shouldn't be anywhere near hosting it

I did not watch the game today, Qatar vs Ecuador, but sounds like it did not take much to ruin it. Home crowd leaving early is certainly something that will not go down well. 

Highlighting inequalities in Islamic countries at football matches is not something that will go unnoticed by the general public. The authorities will be able to clamp down on visiting supporters, but not on the teams themselves.  Qatar could have gone on as usual if the world cup was somewhere safe. Qatar now has to deal with the world in its backyard, so to speak. 

47 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Hmm...

I'd love to see a Aus-NZ joint bid.

Auckland

Wellington

Christchurch 

Sydney 

Brisbane

Melbourne 

Canberra

Perth

Adelaide

Darwin

What host cities am I missing?

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I'd love to see a Aus-NZ joint bid.

Auckland

Wellington

Christchurch 

Sydney 

Brisbane

Melbourne 

Canberra

Perth

Adelaide

Darwin

What host cities am I missing?

Maybe Hamilton in NZ and Newcastle, Gold Coast, Cairns, Hobart and Geelong in Aus? 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

Scenes from the fan park and that could have been disastrous as well, 80000 people turned up and was near crushing. 

It was staring to boil over last night as they were due to open the bar at 6:30pm then decided to push it back to 7:00pm for some reason. Lots of angry people, police and security. 

It’s going to kick off at some point I’m certain. 

At my workplace they said that if anyone wants to watch the England match they can, but need to make the time back up afterwards. I wont be watching that sleep inducing garbage, had about 2 hours sleep last night and watching boregare ball will put me into coma , hope slabhead scores an own goal and gets sent off.🤣

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Genie said:

It was staring to boil over last night as they were due to open the bar at 6:30pm then decided to push it back to 7:00pm for some reason. Lots of angry people, police and security. 

It’s going to kick off at some point I’m certain. 

it is a receipt for disaster! Like you say it is going to be a case of when not if. Could be a few hundred fans not coming back home after the tournament as they will be 'in the special places built for sobering up' 

4 minutes ago, calcifer said:

At my workplace they said that if anyone wants to watch the England match they can, but need to make the time back up afterwards. I wont be watching that sleep inducing garbage, had about 2 hours sleep last night and watching boregare ball will put me into coma , hope slabhead scores an own goal and gets sent off.🤣

Almost guaranteed. Only question is, in which order?

Â