World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

9 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I hear that England and Wales will be wearing these rainbow patches on their shirts. Does anyone think they might or get arrested

I think it's ridiculous they are fighting FIFA to wear these arm bands. Just give it up for gods sake and just play football.

10 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I hear that England and Wales will be wearing these rainbow patches on their shirts. Does anyone think they might or get arrested

Won't. Even though I'd love them to arrest them, that'd embarrass FIFA to the point where change might happen. It'd also probably make other teams react.

I’m intrigued to see how this plays out. I can imagine at the very last second someone senior from FIFA, possibly even Infantino, will be in the dressing rooms trying to get them changed.

I have mixed views on it.

It does highlight a small part of the disgusting regime, but on the other hand I am not a fan of politics being brought onto the pitch. By all means shout about it from the roof tops but when they leave the dressing room it should be 100% about the game. If it’s not part of the official approved kit then I supposed they should expect some kind of punishment.

My prediction is that Southgate will buckle and tell Kane to take it off.

7 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I think it's ridiculous they are fighting FIFA to wear these arm bands. Just give it up for gods sake and just play football.

Do they "just play football" when they were first handed the one love armband?

Harry Kane didn't draw that on himself... UEFA (?) asked him to wear it, he's worn it for 2 years (again?) and now FIFA say no you can't wear that

He's got every right to say **** off you hypocrites

The whole keep politics out of football argument is in the bin because they've already done it when they introduced these armbands, what's good for the goose is good for the gander

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Loving that the speaker at yesterday's game said there was 67.000 people in attendance when the stadium only has 60.000 seats and about 1/3 of them were empty..

It was funny at kick off too, he was counting down from 10 and then at 5 or 4 the ref blew his whistle and they kicked off :lol: 

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m intrigued to see how this plays out. I can imagine at the very last second someone senior from FIFA, possibly even Infantino, will be in the dressing rooms trying to get them changed.

I have mixed views on it.

It does highlight a small part of the disgusting regime, but on the other hand I am not a fan of politics being brought onto the pitch. By all means shout about it from the roof tops but when they leave the dressing room it should be 100% about the game. If it’s not part of the official approved kit then I supposed they should expect some kind of punishment.

My prediction is that Southgate will buckle and tell Kane to take it off.

Politics and sports are 100% intertwined. That's the sole reason why Qatar has the bloody tournament. FIFA can't have it both ways. Either a) They let countries use their tournament as whitewash or b) They follow any sort of decent ethic codes and principles. 

Once FIFA lets countries willing to treat their people fair and doesn't pay off FIFA have a crack then that argument might actually work. They're asking for it by being who they are.

• Like 4

I read up on it a bit

Its from the Dutch FA and started in 2020, wijnaldum first wore it in an international game vs Hungary and then in September this year 10 other teams wore it, 8 of them are in Qatar

The Dutch team have also had advertising hoardings with the slogan on during games and a lot of it at club level

In full its Ons Voetbal is van Iedereen ( Our football belongs to everybody)

UEFA approved it

Edited by villa4europe

3 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Politics and sports are 100% intertwined. That's the sole reason why Qatar has the bloody tournament.

They have the tournament because of corruption, it doesn't have anything to do with politics. 

Just now, Davkaus said:

Why are you and the qataris being such an bunch of snowflakes

Yeah, it's the same people who would say others are so triggered and snowflakey about people reacting to their totalitarian views who are now being triggered by a bloody armband..

1 minute ago, magnkarl said:

Politics and sports are 100% intertwined. That's the sole reason why Qatar has the bloody tournament. FIFA can't have it both ways. Either a) They let countries use their tournament as whitewash or b) They follow any sort of decent ethic codes and principles. 

Once FIFA lets countries willing to treat their people fair and doesn't pay off FIFA have a crack then that argument might actually work. They're asking for it by being who they are.

Yeah, as I say I can see bits from both argument. If England and others were so disgusted then they should have not entered/turned up. 

As they’ve decided to turn up and play then I think they protest as much as possible right up until they leave the dressing room. At that point they focus 100% on playing. 

Saying that, I would love Kane to wear it just for the fall out (even if it does slightly distract from our games).

4 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Indeed, they're happy to bang on about diversity, inclusion and equality when they can use it for positive PR, but it all goes in the bin with a big enough bribe

• Like 1

The armband is getting so much press, not much is being made of the England players taking the knee again. Which will coincidentally get the same outrage from the same people as when it happens in England.

2 minutes ago, villa89 said:

They have the tournament because of corruption, it doesn't have anything to do with politics. 

If only that were true.

Platini was in custody for corruption due to the sale of french fighter jets over France's vote in this. Politics and corruption are as close buddies as FIFA and corruption are.

I'd love it if a team boycotted the World Cup or staged a protest on the pitch by refusing to play and just sitting down or something. 

But, for a lot of players this will be their only chance at playing at a World Cup, which will be the pinnacle of their career and doing the above would prevent that. 

FIFA really messed up with this one. 

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Watch the fifa documentary...

They were securing the Thai and French votes at government level with oil and arms deals

The whole thing is corrupt from top to bottom and has been since the 70s.  Qatar wasn't the first to buy a World Cup, and probably won't be the last.  

• Like 1

Â