Referees

KennyPowers

I got into a discussion the other day about referees and was interested to know what people thought about it. 

Personally, I hate referees who chat to players all the time, who see their role as managing the game and almost babysitting at times. Some refs are big on chatting to players, often after even minor fouls. Some refs insist on warning players repeatdly. 

I think this slows down a game, is all for show and is generally quite intellectually insulting. I mean these are professional footballers, they know what a foul is, they know when a foul merits a booking or a sending off. 

If a player really needs the rules explained to them then fair enough but they just don't. Players go along with these little chats because they think they can manipulate the refs a bit and avoid bookings etc. 

Personally I just want refs who technically apply the rules and keep the pace of the game going. There's no need to be chatting to players during the game. There's no need to be joking with players. It should be cut out. 

But, it seems to have grown in popularity to have refs that 'manage' games. Do people really like this? Do people really want this? Thoughts?

Don't really care as long as they get the decisions right.

I don't like it when the more established players are able to have these cosy little chats with the refs because they're given more of a chance to get their argument across before being pushed away.

I reckon they should make Sian Massey a ref. She's superb as an assistant.

My ref chart (best to worst)

Clattenburg

Lee Probert

Michael Oliver

Mike Dean

Piggy chops

Kevin Enemy

The ironic thing about Kevin Friend is that I remember him giving us a corner that should never have been against Palace in the FA Cup a few seasons ago which we scored a late equaliser from, and then went on to win the replay. Seems like he's more than made up for that since.

• 4 years later...

Yeah I know we're biased but Saturday really was one of the worst refereeing performances I've seen in a long time.

There wasn't even one big decision, which if anything makes it worse. You can't put it down to a mistake then. it was just utter incompetence.

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I know we're biased but Saturday really was one of the worst refereeing performances I've seen in a long time.

There wasn't even one big decision, which if anything makes it worse. You can't put it down to a mistake then. it was just utter incompetence.

thats the biggest crux for me at the moment, we're shifting towards trying to use technology to rid the game of mistakes but the level of competence is on the slide with seemingly no real effort to improve it

a video ref might have given west brom a penalty but it wouldnt have stopped both teams being allowed to play in white shorts

• 4 weeks later...

This extra sub in extra time rule - has it been misinterpreted by referees?

For anyone unaware, Arsenal and Man City made their 3rd and 4th substitutions in extra time, and it seems unclear whether substitutions can be carried over.

• 2 months later...

The referee in the Boro Fulham game! :crylaugh:

Kalas more or less murders a Boro attacker and the referee can't see anything wrong; Fulham player takes a plunge in the 95th minute and he can't get his whistle out fast enough. Has he got shares or something?

On 01/10/2017 at 23:22, VillaChris said:

Refs in the championship are horrendous.

Can't even abuse them as don't know who any of them are!

Has to be agreed after witnessing some of the games this season.

Even the ref today in our game was shocking in stages.

15 hours ago, FrenchVillaLova said:

French referee kicks out at player - gives player a red card :huh:

Not defending what the ref did of course, but from the commentary it sounds like the player did something afterwards and got sent off for that, but it's not shown in that clip?

Commentator says something about the player manhandling the ref? (I'm going on memory, can't watch it at work but saw the clip yesterday)

So I don't think the player was sent off for the trip on the ref.

Anyone know?

Â