Referees

KennyPowers

Sanchez Watt: Former Arsenal player sent off after referee mistakes his name for dissent

A player has been sent off after a referee mistook his name for dissent.

Referee Dean Hulme asked Sanchez Watt, who was playing for Hemel Hempstead Town, for his name as he was about to be booked in a National League South game against East Thurrock United.

The 27-year-old repeatedly replied: "Watt" but Hulme believed he was saying "what?" and sent him off for dissent.

Hulme rescinded the card when it was explained Watt was not showing dissent.

"It was a human error," Hemel Hempstead chairman Dave Boggins told BBC Sport.

"The referee was man enough to rectify it.

"I think everybody found it amusing afterwards - including the referee.

_100311882_hh.png

"He came into the boardroom after the game and explained how he had made the mistake.

"He was very apologetic and saw the funny side of it. He was a good ref on the night to be fair to him."

The incident happened towards the end of Hemel Hempstead's 2-0 win on Tuesday and Watt did not leave the field.

Watt played three games for Arsenal in the League Cup as an 18-year-old, scoring against West Brom in the third round at Emirates Stadium on 22 September 2009.

He has also played in the Championship for Leeds United and had spells at Sheffield Wednesday, Southend, Crawley and Colchester.

Watt is on loan at Hemel Hempstead from Isthmian League side Billericay Town.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43314870

image.gif

• 1 year later...
On 20/09/2013 at 18:32, Mantis said:

The ironic thing about Kevin Friend is that I remember him giving us a corner that should never have been against Palace in the FA Cup a few seasons ago which we scored a late equaliser from, and then went on to win the replay. Seems like he's more than made up for that since.

Ha, Maybe he remembered this. Kevin Friend certainly has previous I remember the Chelsea game when ivanovic should’ve been sent off but he went on to score the winner. Absolutely needs investigating. 

1 minute ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Ha, Maybe he remembered this. Kevin Friend certainly has previous I remember the Chelsea game when ivanovic should’ve been sent off but he went on to score the winner. Absolutely needs investigating. 

I was thinking of this too earlier. It's definitely odd.

We were all thinking when we got up the referees would be better. We'll evidently that was a lie.

We have been robbed in 3/4 games.

Against spurs we should have had a penalty before they scored their 3 goals. This would have given us a comfortable lead and likely would have meant we would have gotten at least a point. 

Against Bournemouth Phillip Billing should have been sent off which would have meant we probably would have scored more as they wouldn't have had a holding midfielder and would have been under even more pressure. I also remember that there may have been a penalty shout.

Against Crystal Palace Grealish was fouled attempted to stay up and did played a ball and was then brought down in the box. He didn't appeal but was booked for diving even though if there was no contact he could have slipped or fallen over because he played the ball. We then scored but was disallowed for diving.

In my view that is at minimum 3 points taken from us in 4 games. Maybe more because against spurs and Bournemouth there may have been a good chance of victory.

Against Everton in my view we had fewer 50/50 decisions go out way ie. Wesley being fouled which led to Guilbert's booking from minimal contact.

In my view they have been terrible so far what do the rest of you think? 

• Like 1

The thing with VAR is that involves more humans, therefore there is more human error.  I honestly can't see how that decision was made.  Atkinson against Bournemouth wasn't applying a pretty basic law of the game with Billing.  I just don't understand what the **** is going on.

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

The thing with VAR is that involves more humans, therefore there is more human error

Well, no.

Adding more humans to an individual chain of work can introduce the risk of more human error, but not when they're double-checking each other's work.We wouldn't bother peer reviewing stuff if it just increased the risk of error!

36 minutes ago, New_Hope said:

It seems the 'established' teams get a good run of the green with decisions....unfancied or promoted teams seem like they have to work hard to get into this exclusive club!

The hope was that VAR would change this. 

Just now, sne said:

Tbf both Spurs and Man City have been shafted by VAR this season.

I'm not disputing that, rather that I hoped the days of referees clearly being biased to the bigger clubs/home teams would be reduced with VAR. It seems however that VAR isn't being used correctly. 

Note: Palace are certainly not "a bigger club" 

First of all, Grealish played the ball. And didn't appeal for anything. Second he was fouled twice before he went down. Which VAR clearly shows. 

There's no reasonable explanation for the referees decisions today. It's not a matter of being subjective, if the foul was nasty enough to warrant a yellow. It's not about the interpretation of something like the handball rule. There's nothing to interpret one way or another in the incident.  Either he wasnt fouled and its a goal. If he was fouled it's a penalty. 

Intentional or not. The referee used his power to effect the game. If it was a mistake, he clearly chose to ignore it. This man should not be allowed to continue in his work. The referees are too well protected and raised above any form of reasonable criticism. They should be held accountable for their decision in post match interviews. At least that would leave us with understanding controversial decisions, and even some sort of self reflection/correction. 

Edited by Skruff
  • Like 2

Â