Referees

KennyPowers

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Even if he dived, he didn't gain an advantage or even look for a call. He completed his pass. It didn't affect the passage of play. By all means book him after the goal, but why chalk it off?

Even with Villa glasses off. Taking into account his decisions throughout the game the only explanation is he was on the take or has a disturbingly large anti-Villa bias, think it was clear to everyone we weren’t going to end the game with 11 men and they had cart blanche after half hour or so had gone.

But of course anything I’ve seen from other referees in the media is the bollocks you’d expect: “Made an honest mistake”, “Hardest job in football” etc, still pisses me off how one sided he was, the worst I’ve ever seen id say.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I would imagine it'll be some time before Friend is officiating a game at Villa Park again.

Coincidence of course.

I hope so, but then... I kinda want him to be the ref in the next game at Villa Park so we can tell him exactly what we think of him :lol:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

I would imagine it'll be some time before Friend is officiating a game at Villa Park again.

Coincidence of course.

Not sure, Fat Phil Dowd got to ref at VP soon after the cup final 

Just watched our disallowed goal again, only to see friend rub it in our players faces even more by laughing in there faces lime it was all fun and games for him.

Friend needs investigating big time we can't be having referees doing this in any game, Jack was fouled not once but at least twice and Cahill even went down himself of taking Jack down, it certainly wasn't Jack taking Cahill down.

If there was ever a case for a corrupt ref it certainly that match, it's not the only match he's made bad decisions in either, he has one hell of a track record against Villa.

Even Palace fans and players are in agreement with us. I've seen one prem ref so far stand up to this bloody joke of a ref, doesn't that tell you something.

I don't think this will be the end of it either, I think we and other teams are going to struggle with poor referees and a poor Var untill it's changed. Apparantly there is a threshold to meet in what counts to be considered a penalty or a foul and Var wouldn't of considered what happened either a foul or penalty which is absoloutly a joke and should be trashed if that's the case. Whoever came out with Var and the whole idea has completely screwed over more than a few teams with matches and I think this is just the start of all this.

Does Var cater to a certain play style one would think it does, it had to be modelled off of some clubs right and not tested and updated to work with all clubs play styles, to many kinks in it for it not to be.

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I hope so, but then... I kinda want him to be the ref in the next game at Villa Park so we can tell him exactly what we think of him :lol:

What so he can do it all over again, how many Yellows against us, 6 was it and a red?? No thanks, I have never hated a ref till now.

I felt sorry for the fans at the game, all that trouble caused was due to friend, it made tempers boil and the security and police went to far dragging people over the barriers and beating them with battons, even winding up our fans sticking middle fingers up, they were out of order.

And all because of friend.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, bobzy said:

Looks like he gets shoved to me - even if the fall is dramatic.

Cahill finished Grealish momentum off with a trip after the shove, when your moving like that there is no diving at that speed, fall over by accident yes but no fake diving from Jack.

Jack also got straight back up, don't know if you notice that and Cahil if went over himself after his contact with Jack, you can see that on the highlights.

It also looks lime the whistle and the goal were at the same time.

What makes it a complete Farce is Jack didn't ask for a foul, wasn't after one, he'd ran off to celebrate as he knew Lansbury had got that goal before he'd even scored it. Jack had made the pass that lead to a goal and palace were trying to get out of it with friend because they couldn't take the fact we scored and it all worked in favour.

I feel it will be bad decisions by officials and Var that screw us clubs fighting for survival in the prem, that could prove to be a very costly point to us and in such a competitive sport, this is not what should happen.

47 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

What so he can do it all over again, how many Yellows against us, 6 was it and a red?? No thanks, I have never hated a ref till now.

I felt sorry for the fans at the game, all that trouble caused was due to friend, it made tempers boil and the security and police went to far dragging people over the barriers and beating them with battons, even winding up our fans sticking middle fingers up, they were out of order.

And all because of friend.

Friend and the steward that gave the finger were absolutely architects of it kicking off

• Like 1

And it continues:

Ex-Premier League referee reviews the controversi…: https://youtu.be/SSPLsKhQ8oE

Dermot just hasn't a clue or how he tries to defend the ref.

Two points of contact, Jack gets up and it really sounds as though the ref blew the whistle as Lansbury kicked the ball.

The question then to friend would be if he had seen all this has he made out he had, why on earth didn't he see the two contacts that took place and then the fact Jack didn't stay down and appeal.

Yeah my conclusion with the way he were laughing at Villa players at end of the match and how he conducted his decisions through that match that he's either got it in for Villa or he's corrupt as ****.

14 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Dermot just hasn't a clue or how he tries to defend the ref.

What an absolute toad.

So many things in refereeing have got better. I don't know if you remember when refs used to go out of their way to provoke players with the way they brandished cards in their face? A lot of that has changed.

But one thing they've got a lot worse on is justifying their decisions and admitting to mistakes.

Friend should have come out after the game and said "I'm sorry, I made a mistake. VAR couldn't overrule because the penalty wasn't clear and obvious, and I blew the whistle before Lansbury got his shot off. But I made a mistake booking Grealish for a dive, and I apologise."

Referees would get so much more respect for that. Why do we have to play along with this farce that they are infallible? Is it because they're scared of losing their PGMOL contracts?

I don't really buy into the idea that Friend has a grudge against Villa. Besides Palace and Chelsea, he's refereed 15 other Villa games without incident (afaik, anyway). For an experienced ref, he doesn't have many really big games under his belt, so I think he just saw spotting a Grealish dive as a way to showcase his ability, and his eyes lit up when Grealish tumbled in the box.

Anyway, it's obviously backfired, and while the refs have all closed rank, there's no doubt behind the scenes they all know he screwed up. Be a while before Grealish gets booked again for diving I'd wager.

Edit: Gallagher earns a bit more of my respect from this clip actually: 

Edited by KentVillan

9 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Friend should have come out after the game and said "I'm sorry, I made a mistake. VAR couldn't overrule because the penalty wasn't clear and obvious, and I blew the whistle before Lansbury got his shot off. But I made a mistake booking Grealish for a dive, and I apologise."

Referees would get so much more respect for that. Why do we have to play along with this farce that they are infallible? Is it because they're scared of losing their PGMOL contracts?

That's it.

Somehow, in the shit storm of really poor press and Premier League clique of mates that look after each others back, Friend can defend himself by standing by his decision.

As soon as he says 'I was wrong', it is much more difficult for PL to keep him as one of the top referees.

It's a bit like your missus scratching your car. You know she did it, she knows she did it,  but as long as she says she found it like that at the parking lot, she is safe from the shit storm. 

(What a great analogy btw 😂 )

• Haha 1

I don't think he has to say "I was wrong"

he just has to say this is exactly what I saw and this is why at the time I thought I was right, from my angle i saw jack throw his left leg towards Cahill ensuring contact meaning in his opinion it was a dive

he can then say that he felt grealish had thrown himself to the ground on several occasions during the game and screamed at him for 90 minutes meaning that he anticipated it happening which is why he was so quick to award it

because I expect that to be the truth, the arrogance and defence of them that follows is what boils my piss

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Jonathan Moss, wow what do we say about that performance. I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a biased ref, gave Liverpool absolutely everything. Their last goal came from a freekick where he had waved advantage and Liverpool had even had a shot, as it didn’t go in he went back to the freekick. Since when is that a thing in football? Absolute joke. As I’ve said before the FA want Liverpool to win this year. 

Â