Referees

KennyPowers

3 hours ago, Spoony said:

Any idea of premier league refs being corrupt is just mental. Or having an “agenda” against certain teams. Every damned fan says the same, including Man Utd fans etc. That suggests to me it’s a very level playing field. 

The constant blaming of refs or labelling them all shite is tiresome (how could the ALL be shite? Perhaps it’s just a really bloody hard job??)

It's a thankless job, but it's not a difficult one.

You call it as you see it. And by "see it" I mean by the incident in isolation, not the colour of the shirt. Nor the sound of the crowd.

Do that consistently and the players and crowd don't get frustrated at you. You're not ever going to get every call right - but that's what VAR is for.

And therein lies the problem with VAR - at times they are looking at multiple angles in slow motion looking for contact that really isn't there. If they actually left it as "clear and obvious error" we'd all be better off.

4 hours ago, Spoony said:

Any idea of premier league refs being corrupt is just mental. Or having an “agenda” against certain teams. Every damned fan says the same, including Man Utd fans etc. That suggests to me it’s a very level playing field. 

The constant blaming of refs or labelling them all shite is tiresome (how could the ALL be shite? Perhaps it’s just a really bloody hard job??)

I was listening to an interview with Marciniak, polish UEFA referee, and he was saying how refs have certain instructions and guides outside the rules of the game.

For example, they wouldn't likely give a red card for an offence in a high profile game in order "not to ruin the show". The same goes with penalties - the threshold of considering something a foul is higher.

That to me in itself shows how crooked the refereeing system is. If Brighton come to Old Trafford and Maguire elbows someone in 3rd minute, why shouldn't that be treated as it would in a Stoke Millwall game in 84th minute? 

A foul or a card should be given anytime and whywhere on the pitch. 

I'm not saying referees are corrupt. I'm saying the system is bent towards making dodgy decisions and being able to justify them.

• Like 1

i dont think they're corrupt

i think they're inept

i think the rule makers have made so many changes in such a short period of time that the message has been lost on fans and with certain things no one has a clue whats going on anymore which isnt helped by football having years of myths built around it like last man and got the ball, i would say that the offside and handball rules are a mess

i also think that its human nature to be influenced by pressure and refs do come under huge amounts of pressure from players, managers, fans and especially the media so whilst corrupt and agenda arent correct i do think the likes of man utd get decisions that we dont, not always but its a thing

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

I was listening to an interview with Marciniak, polish UEFA referee, and he was saying how refs have certain instructions and guides outside the rules of the game.

For example, they wouldn't likely give a red card for an offence in a high profile game in order "not to ruin the show". The same goes with penalties - the threshold of considering something a foul is higher.

That to me in itself shows how crooked the refereeing system is. If Brighton come to Old Trafford and Maguire elbows someone in 3rd minute, why shouldn't that be treated as it would in a Stoke Millwall game in 84th minute? 

A foul or a card should be given anytime and whywhere on the pitch. 

I'm not saying referees are corrupt. I'm saying the system is bent towards making dodgy decisions and being able to justify them.

Surely be a disadvantage to Brighton if Maguire got sent off 😉

There was a BBC article about an automated offside system and that it could be introduced in Qatar. That would work well - just like goal line technology, the ref would get a watch buzz when the ball is played offside based on something like 30 live cameras. 

It would be better than the silly line drawing we have today. 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

How do the cameras decide who is interfering with play and who isn't? 

Saying that I'd be happy if that rule was scrapped as a by product of this 

It's vague enough for decisions to be manipulated for profit or perverse assignment. Example, pgmol have been instructed to make sure Newcastle go down to in order to delay their assault on the elite......probably.

Great news for Dean Smith though, one less to worry about.

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I despise Mike Dean but apart from his usual over dramatic hand gestures I can't think of much he did wrong last night

wasn't too bad but no idea how they didn't get a single booking

they cynically cut us down every time we tried to break

10 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Just watching Tottenham game. That John Moss got a right belly on him. Can't be fit surely?

And 51 years old

Why cant he keep up with world class professionals in their mid 20s?

Technology is definitley the answer to help

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

And 51 years old

Why cant he keep up with world class professionals in their mid 20s?

Technology is definitley the answer to help

Bigger juggling balls.

Â