The History Thread

maqroll

It was clearly implied in your post that you felt hard done by with your blue pill reference. Twaddle.

The blue pill thing is just a way of saying that my opinions are incompatible with others'.

I don't feel hard done by because it is to be expected that when you express an unpopular opinion on the Internet, people are more likely to attack you personally, than the substance of the opinion.

My god, where's Voltaire when you need him?

But thanks Donnie, I appreciate your support.

We are supposed to live in a rational age but how quickly they built their strawman and confected accusations of racism from an implied criticism of a gender.

And where were the honest brokers? What use were the war scholars?

I suppose I need to take the blue-pill and start agreeing because this is the future.

Anyway, apologies for all concerned.

If you can't bare to stand by your opinion then you're right, your run is up. There's not a single man, woman nor beast attempting to stop you from holding court, you're choosing to walk away.

People have a right to disagree with you. People have the choice whether to listen to you at all and when they do, whether to like you or not.

So stop talking shite.

But how do you have a right to offend someone and not explain why you disagree with them??

Explain why you was so offended by his post? Did it offend you personally?

The VT off topic clique is becoming the NWO. If you not in the clique, they just don't like it man.

Edited by donnie

We are supposed to live in a rational age but how quickly they built their strawman and confected accusations of racism from an implied criticism of a gender.

I suppose I need to take the blue-pill and start agreeing because this is the future.

If you can't bare to stand by your opinion then you're right, your run is up. There's not a single man, woman nor beast attempting to stop you from holding court, you're choosing to walk away.

People have a right to disagree with you. People have the choice whether to listen to you at all and when they do, whether to like you or not.

So stop talking shite.

But how do you have a right to offend someone and not explain why you disagree with them??

Explain why you was so offended by his post? You wasn't offended was you, you just wanted to be a white knight and join the attack.

The VT off topic clique is becoming the NWO. If you not in the clique, they just don't like it man.

Lol Donnie is not in our clique guys. Let's bully him.

• Like 2

Fear not. I have reported your post and the VT Thought Police will deal with you accordingly. 

For the sake of the thread, perhaps correcting the past by deleting the previous pages might actually be a good thing :P

What argument?

There was no argument. We've always been allies.

So stop talking shite.

Explain why you was so offended by his post? You wasn't offended was you, you just wanted to be a white knight and join the attack.

Pipe down Scott Hall.

• Like 2

So stop talking shite.

Pipe down Scott Hall.

3783720-lol.gif

14th November 1908, Albert Einstein gives the world his quantum theory on light.

Not sure of the exact wording, but it's along the lines of 'nobody ever admits leaving the **** bathroom light on, but the bathroom light is always **** on.'

14th November 1922, first BBC radio broadcast.

15th November 1922, commentator Alan Green heard to tut and sigh and mention it's not as good as it used to be.

Edited by chrisp65

1905 wasn't it for Quantum theory on light ...he did 4 celebrated papers that year one of which being about a song by big audio dynamite

I'd just been reading about Hasenöhrl who came up with the equation E = 3/8mc2 a bit earlier ... Doesn't quite trip off the tongue does it :)

Einstein probably knew of his work and used it in his own , I've no idea the impact the 3/8 part has and if it means Hasenöhrl should get some / all the credit ?

Edited by tonyh29

MJ-HIStory.jpg

I feel Jacko used the history element and first disc containing a lot of his old hits (effectively a best of) to mask what was essentially a very poor album. The new stuff on disc two was pretty pants.

Its an underrated album. Some shite on there but also a fair few tunes.

Stranger in Moscow, scream, they don't really care about us, earth song, money, come together.

Did I take this post too seriously?

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't know whether to put this in the Quiz or Piss You Off Threads, but watching TV general knowledge quiz shows leaves me utterly dismayed about people's total lack of knowledge of history.

On Pointless tonight, with the widest possible subject - name ANY British monarch OR Prime Minister OR Poet Laureate OR US President of the 19th Century. A hundred years to go at, and still the contestants (young and old) struggled to come up with any correct answers.

I find this depressing.

Edited by mjmooney

I think there is a lot of dumbing down now, which is strange as we've never had so many tools we can learn with

Even when I was a lad *cue New World Order by Dvorak* I never had the internet or anything like the wealth of information people have nowadays yet they seem thicker than ever (ok, not all of them!)

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

What's the selection process on quiz shows?

I'm not really into quizzes and I'm not really into TV quizes, but I too have been annoyed by them always choosing the category 'films' or 'reality chefs that have been in howdy magazine'. But is that because that's who the quiz programme have selected. Whilst a mastermind winner might cruise through Pointless, I suspect they wouldn't get on the show. I suspect that somewhere there's an entrance form that asks:

1 names the multi headed dog that guards the gates of hell

2 name the first tank battle

3 who's been on the most episodes of celebrity junble shag off

I suspect anybody choosing to answer 1 or 2 isn't going to get on the programme.

but that's properly off topic

here's a picture of that book by the plagiarist heathen, first published today 1649

Origin-Species-390.jpg

Â