The History Thread

maqroll

I've been reading a bit about how during the 19th century in the United States, the southern slave owning aristocracy promoted the idea that they were a superior race to white northerners. They claimed they were the descendants of "noble" Norman cavaliers, whereas the northerners were all "common" Saxons. 

The raid on Scarborough, Hartlepool and Whitby, which took place on 16 December 1914, was an attack by the Imperial German Navy on the British seaport towns ofScarborough, Hartlepool, West Hartlepool, and Whitby. The attack resulted in 137 fatalities and 592 casualties, many of whom were civilians. The attack resulted in public outrage towards the German navy for an attack against civilians, and against the Royal Navy for its failure to prevent the raid.

(Wikipedia)

Southerners have always been superior to Northerners in the UK :P

Don't Southerners have a guide book of things to do up here in't North?

"Number 1 - Feel Superior."

Well, if it keeps the shandy-drinking softies happy, bless, then let them carry on with their little dreams.

• Like 3

Amazing what "Ultra" did for the war effort in WW2. How the Germans didn't know their code was broken is equally amazing.

I think the thing I find most fascinating about this is that the code was so successful that it was effectively the German's own stupidity in using it that meant we could break it.

Southerners have always been superior to Northerners in the UK :P

Southerners have always been racist self serving right wingers ;)

we are not self serving  , one simply doesn't have a Butler and serve themself

• Like 1

as a neutral:

South is so far better I just don't understand how it's any kind of issue

any metric you care to use (other than sleet) and South wins

South's full of rocket polishers.  :)

• Like 2

as a neutral:

South's full of rocket polishers.  :)

On a day trip from the North?

as a neutral:

The only metric you need to know is that Scousers are from the North.   South wins. 

as a neutral:

Price of a pint?

Distance from (actual) residence of Osborne.

Here's one for Tony: distance from France. (Edit: that would be a loser for me but I thought I'd chuck it in to ruffle Surrey feathers :) )

Erm...I'm sure there's more.

Edit: I meant 'ruffle feathers' as in cause some internal debate about ... - for clarification.

Edited by snowychap

Amazing what "Ultra" did for the war effort in WW2. How the Germans didn't know their code was broken is equally amazing.

I think the thing I find most fascinating about this is that the code was so successful that it was effectively the German's own stupidity in using it that meant we could break it.

I know what you mean. It was designed to be perfect, and in many ways it was. It was the users who cocked it up. I'm sure there was the on guy who believed that it couldn't be broken that he sent a message just pressing the L key about 50 times for a joke. Well that was cracked within about 10 minutes and gave them the crib for a day. 

The one's that really impressed me were the ones who cracked the Japanese codes, how do you do that? its symbols not letters.

The only code not broken were the windtalkers, The American Navajo indians own tongue. 

as a neutral:

Price of a pint?

Distance from (actual) residence of Osborne.

Here's one for Tony: distance from France. (Edit: that would be a loser for me but I thought I'd chuck it in to ruffle Surrey feathers :) )

Erm...I'm sure there's more.

The North is closer to France...

If you go via the North Pole and around the World that way... technically.

Â