The History Thread

maqroll

Somewhat. Though in Europe, the soviets did most of the fighting, inflicted or suffered most of the casualties, and captured/liberated much more territory. Against japan, this was the US and china, obviously though with the opposition a much less formidable adversary.

You would think that WW2 would have provided a lasting lesson on the ultimate futility of empire building. A lesson tragically lost on American Cold Warriors.

• Like 1

So I know I'm picking a fight here, but there have been a few people that have suggested that the Americans entered into WW2 at the very end, and are attributed all the plaudits for saving Europe, etc.

But if we look at the dates, we see that it's simply not true.

The war started in 1939, UK officially entered in September 1939.

1937 if you ask the Chinese!

• Like 1

So I know I'm picking a fight here, but there have been a few people that have suggested that the Americans entered into WW2 at the very end, and are attributed all the plaudits for saving Europe, etc.

But if we look at the dates, we see that it's simply not true.

The war started in 1939, UK officially entered in September 1939.

1937 if you ask the Chinese!

Ahem... 

The Chinese would probably argue that we were all late to the party anyway - they'd been fighting the Japanese since 1937. 

• Like 1

You would think that WW2 would have provided a lasting lesson on the ultimate futility of empire building. A lesson tragically lost on American Cold Warriors.

If you read Sin Zi's The Art of War, the ultimate aim is to defeat your enemy without fighting, and it would seem that these days, the great nations have moved on to the point where they attempt to defeat each other without fighting.

The Cold War was the first stage in making that transition.

China definitely seem to be leading the way, in putting the planet's only superpower into a position where their military power is increasingly irrelevant.

• Like 1

I noticed on the D-Day beaches that Gold,Juno and Sword have all gone back to their french names, but the American beaches,Utah and Omaha are stilled called Utah and Omaha.

Why is that then ?

• 3 weeks later...

Just been walking around Butrint in Albania

One of the biggest roman ruins on the planet that most people have never heard of , me included until I started researching this trip .... Very interesting place they will be digging here for many many years to come

Now enjoying a cold class of Albania's finest "Kuhalashe" beer

• Like 1

Â