The History Thread

maqroll

• 1 month later...

I'm hoping they finally dig Emperor Qin's tomb (Xian )

30ayum1.jpg

Tony - 'Art Of China' BBC4

First one starts early.

The chap above precedes Imperial China.

• Like 1

30ayum1.jpg

First one starts early.

Cheers

Just got in and now watching Wild China will have to do an iplayer for the other show ...

30ayum1.jpg

First one starts early.

they have just uncovered a fairly intact tomb in China

A 2,100 year-old tomb built for a Chinese king has been excavated to reveal more than 10,000 pieces of treasure.

Archaeologists believe the mausoleum was for Liu Fei, who died in 128BC after 26 years ruling over the kingdom of Jiangdu during the Western Han dynasty.

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Having recently rewatched The Pacific, I'm going to say the invasion of Okinawa in 1945.  

Oh, and Dan Carlin has been mentioned in this thread so I'll say that episode IV of his podcast on World War 1 was uploaded this week.  It focuses on the year 1916 and the battles at Verdun (I never really appreciated just how important Verdun is to the French) Jutland and the Somme.  It's a really good episode. (link)

• Like 1

Apparently The Guns of August is a brilliant account of the critical events that helped kick off WW1. Won the Pulitzer Prize. 

What I'd really like to find is a WW1 book that covers the entire war, but without being too textbooky.

Reading it right now (second time, 40 years after the first!)

Ha, good timing! I take it it's a good read?

Watched a great documentary about the 2nd world world war earlier, and how some of the Nazis escaped to South America and changed their names and identities. They were still tracked down, but some died mid trial because they were so old by then. 

Edited by Voinjama

Â