NurembergVillan

credit to them but no coincidence that the 2 half decent teams they have played in the league has beaten them

still need to be tested for me

Tested for what? We all know that they aren't going to challenge for the Champions League places so their season won't be defined on getting points away at the big teams. Though saying that, they really should've got something out of those two games anyway, lax finishing saw that they didn't.

I've got them at 25/1 to finish in the top 4. They're at 9/1 now. Do I think they'll do it? Probably not, but worth a punt at that price. Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, Everton and United all look bang average to me. In the end I think United and Arsenal will probably do it.

credit to them but no coincidence that the 2 half decent teams they have played in the league has beaten them

still need to be tested for me

Tested for what? We all know that they aren't going to challenge for the Champions League places so their season won't be defined on getting points away at the big teams. Though saying that, they really should've got something out of those two games anyway, lax finishing saw that they didn't.

their wins have been against 3 of the worst teams in the league QPR,Sunderland, Newcastle and then beat 10 men Swansea and a strikerless West Ham

I think they will be found out against the better sides, but fair play to them, they have sold their best players and to be where they are is miraculous. Good management, playing the game the right way unlike what is served up by Villa. 

their wins have been against 3 of the worst teams in the league QPR,Sunderland, Newcastle and then beat 10 men Swansea and a strikerless West Ham

West Ham weren't "strikerless".

West Ham weren't "strikerless".

they had Carlton Cole, my case stands ;)

10153710_10152413756546200_2191904642394

http://www.football365.com/f365-says/9525810/F365-Says

It was a record-equalling afternoon at St. Mary's. In crushing Sunderland 8-0, Southampton became just the sixth side to score eight or more goals in a Premier League match, and only the third club this century to record an eight-goal winning margin in the top flight. Amidst the summer talk of 'crisis', Football365 would like to reiterate that we remained level-headed. Some should be feeling very silly indeed.

Still, few suspected Southampton to be this good this quickly. Since the 0-0 draw with West Brom on August 23, eight matches have returned seven victories, including a 2-1 triumph at Arsenal in the League Cup. They sit third in the table, one point behind Manchester City, and have conceded just five goals, three fewer than any other league club in England. On Saturday, Saints were a footballing Midas: Everything they touched turned to goals.

"The reason I am happy is because whoever wins the Manager of the Month loses their next match," Jose Mourinho joked after missing out to Ronald Koeman. "I don't want that award." Southampton's new manager is now myth-busting, too.

One of the reasons for our positivity in the summer was the presence of Koeman in charge. I wrote in early August that 'in Koeman, they have a manager that actually has knowledge of an alternative league to the one in which he is competing...the Eredivisie provides him with a resource of potentially valuable recruits', and that has proven to be the case.

Southampton were not forced to shop with limited imagination; a Premier League introspection leading to recruitment of players with big reputations and salaries, but questionable potential or improvement... *cough* QPR *cough*.

The best example of this is Dusan Tadic, the Serbian winger signed from FC Twente for £10.9m. On Saturday his performance was verging on ethereal, scoring Southampton's sixth goal and becoming only the sixth player to register four assists in a Premier League game. Tadic's understanding with striker Graziano Pelle is already established.

There is always a cliched risk when shopping in the Eredivisie, but Tadic appeared as close as possible to a guarantee. He had scored 29 league goals in two seasons at Twente, and was comfortably the league's best player following the departure of Christian Eriksen. When Nacer Chadli was sold to Spurs last summer, Twente supporters breathed a sigh of relief. They had kept their jewel.

Possessing obvious pace, Tadic demonstrated enough intelligence and finesse to operate as a playmaker for Twente, comfortable right, left or through the middle. Last season in Enschede, he created an average of four chances a game for his teammates. David Silva (with 3.19) was the Premier League's highest provider. Making four more assists than any player in the Dutch league, his total of 14 would have been greater but for Twente's lack of a potent striker. Tadic top scored for his club too - you can't assist yourself.

Tadic's adaptation to English football has been seamless. He is creating a chance every 35 minutes played and has already contributed more assists than Adam Lallana last season. Whilst Lallana managed six in 37 starts, his replacement achieved two-thirds of that total within the space of 50 minutes against Sunderland. The legacy of Matt Le Tissier ensures that Southampton fans hold a special regard for a dribbler - St. Mary's has a new hero.

The player himself is understandably content: "It feels like I'm dreaming. Southampton is the most beautiful city in England and everything is great. It is something special to be playing for Southampton. Secretly each one of us hopes that we can finish in a position that leads to the Champions League."

Tadic isn't the only one dreaming. Given the relentless criticism over the summer, Southampton's hierarchy would be forgiven for drawing comparisons between those departed and their replacements. Tadic and Pelle have played 1,390 minutes combined, scored a combined total of seven goals, have eight assists and created 32 chances. The totals for Rickie Lambert and Lallana at Liverpool read 411 minutes played, one goal, no assists and four chances created. Plus a £10m profit in Saints' bank account, let's remember.

Further evidence to defend Southampton's actions and tough decisions was hardly needed after an impressive start, but Saturday hammered the final nail in the coffin of doom-mongering. Of the six first-team players sold by Saints, not one of their new clubs sits as high in the league.

Players performing at the top of their game; a manager enjoying an attractive assignment; a winger in Dusan Tadic that must be an early candidate for signing of the season. For the Saints, the good news just keeps marching in.
Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

What I liked about Koeman on Saturday was that at 6-0 he was encouraging his team further forward still.. I'd love to that.. The one time we went 2-0 up this season we starting sitting back

I'd be happy if we had scored 6 goals this season. 

• Like 2

What I liked about Koeman on Saturday was that at 6-0 he was encouraging his team further forward still.. I'd love to that.. The one time we went 2-0 up this season we starting sitting back

But to be fair, there's a world of difference between 6-0 and 2-0.

At 6-0 with 10 minutes left or whatever it was, they're not going to lose, they've got Sunderland on the ropes and there's very little risk in turning the screw.

At 2-0, if you commit forward too much and the other team nick a goal, it's squeaky bum time.

You can't really compare the two.

But to be fair, there's a world of difference between 6-0 and 2-0.

At 6-0 with 10 minutes left or whatever it was, they're not going to lose, they've got Sunderland on the ropes and there's very little risk in turning the screw.

At 2-0, if you commit forward too much and the other team nick a goal, it's squeaky bum time.

You can't really compare the two.

At 2-0 if you score a third you are out of sight, it's a negative thought to sit back, something we did for the entire second half when we had been cruising first. We invited pressure onto us. Best form of defence is attack.

Anyway going off topic now.

Well you sort of missed the point there.

How did I? Your point was that at 6-0 they could go forward and not worry as the game was safe, whereas at 2-0 we couldn't because there was always a chance that they could come back into it. However, it is my thought that you only get to 6-0 (and so being comfortable) by going for it at 2-0. My original post was merely reflecting that Koeman didn't allow his team to take their foot off the pedal despite being 6-0 up.

He also saw that Sunderland were a shambles and there for the taking.   Your claim about "if you score a third at 2-0" is a pretty big if, isn't it?  I mean it's been a cliche for years that the third goal scored in any game is the most important and loads of teams try to shut up shop at 2-0.  Southampton thrashing a piss poor Sunderland has nothing to do with our negativity against other teams, I mean it was only 18 months ago we put six past Sunderland ourselves. 

• Like 1

Â