Southampton

NurembergVillan

Having possession doesn't mean that your defence isn't exposed. Arsenal and United are first and third on the possession table respectivly and the vulnerability of their defences have been clear for all to see. Southampton have conceded few goals because they ultimately have a strong defensive structure.

Also, if we go player vs. player, then I believe that Clyne, Alderweireld and Bertrand (based on this season's form) are better than their corresponding counterparts in our defence.

Edited by Isa

But the fact is, they play as a unit and part of their game plan is to use the ball further forward, high pressing, high defence, and this keeps the ball further forward (and actually, part of their problem recently has been where they get caught out with the high line).

Bertrand is a fantastic example. Struggled with our limited tactics where the ball comes straight back at us, but thrives in a team which uses the ball better further forward and takes the pressure off the defence.

But the fact is, they play as a unit and part of their game plan is to use the ball further forward, high pressing, high defence, and this keeps the ball further forward (and actually, part of their problem recently has been where they get caught out with the high line).

Bertrand is a fantastic example. Struggled with our limited tactics where the ball comes straight back at us, but thrives in a team which uses the ball better further forward and takes the pressure off the defence.

I see where you are coming from mate but my point was that there are other teams that do these things and have worse defensive records than them. Both collectively and individually, their defence has performed well. As have ours, no doubt. I just don't see the basis to claim that ours are more solid than theirs.

Guzan, Vlaar, Okore and Benteke are the only players from our team that would get into Southampton's.

I think Delph makes it ahead of Steven Davis who's been a regular this season or Jack Cork.

But 4/11 sounds about right otherwise it begs the question why are we so far behind them in the league surely?

To me a more relevant example would be Newcastle as I really don't believe their first 11/squad is much better than what we have so those are teams we should be pushing much closer in the league.

Davis usually doesn't play Delph's role. If we are comparing our strongest midfield-three comparatively with theirs then it is Wanyama vs. Westwood/Sánchez, Schneiderlin vs. Delph and Davis/Ward-Prowse vs. Cleverley. I think they win on all counts.

Edited by Isa

Would you not say Davis is the one who at least attempts to link up with the strikers as the most advance of the middle trio so similar to Delph as neither team has a number 10 so that's why I did the comparison.

Schnderlien is more of a proper central midfielder who patrols the centre circle biting into tackles and hitting excellent forward passes. Excellent player who wouldn't look out of place at most of the top clubs.

This thread needs a bit of CON methinks. ;)

Yes but Delph isn't the most advanced of our three, he is more of an box-to-box midfielder except that he offers little in the final-third. Positionally, Davis is most comparable to Cleverley in our midfield.

Edit: Also, agree totally with your summation of Schneiderlin. He is an excellent player. How adequately Southampton replace with will determine a lot regarding any continuation of their progression.

Edited by Isa

Guzan, Vlaar, Okore and Benteke are the only players from our team that would get into Southampton's.

I think Delph makes it ahead of Steven Davis who's been a regular this season or Jack Cork.

But 4/11 sounds about right otherwise it begs the question why are we so far behind them in the league surely?

To me a more relevant example would be Newcastle as I really don't believe their first 11/squad is much better than what we have so those are teams we should be pushing much closer in the league.

Edited by kurtsimonw

I see where you are coming from mate but my point was that there are other teams that do these things and have worse defensive records than them. Both collectively and individually, their defence has performed well. As have ours, no doubt. I just don't see the basis to claim that ours are more solid than theirs.

If our defenders were playing for them, they would be just as good as those at Southampton now. If the Southampton defenders were at Villa, they would struggle (although if this new style of any sticks, that might change). We set out not to lose, concede pressure, make mistakes, leak goals.

If our defenders were playing for them, they would be just as good as those at Southampton now. If the Southampton defenders were at Villa, they would struggle (although if this new style of any sticks, that might change). We set out not to lose, concede pressure, make mistakes, leak goals.

Â