NurembergVillan

Well you sort of missed the point there.

How did I? Your point was that at 6-0 they could go forward and not worry as the game was safe, whereas at 2-0 we couldn't because there was always a chance that they could come back into it. However, it is my thought that you only get to 6-0 (and so being comfortable) by going for it at 2-0. My original post was merely reflecting that Koeman didn't allow his team to take their foot off the pedal despite being 6-0 up.

The Rev put it well.

You're focusing on the rewards.

Of course it's better to score a third if you're 2-0 up. THat goes without saying.

My point is the risks are higher. If you get caught on the break and concede when you're 2-0 up you're suddenly clinging on to a lead.

You're also still playing against a team who (should) think they can get back into the game so will still be trying.

At 6-0 you're most likely playing against a team who are just trying to limit the damage. And if you do get caught on the break, you're still 5 goals in front. It's a very very low risk approach to wave your players forward at 6-0 up.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing to go for it at 2-0. Just that you can't blame a team for not being all out attack at that scoreline because the risks of getting caught are far far higher.

Edited by Stevo985

• 2 weeks later...

So the Southampton hype seems to be endless. Again people forget to look at the fixtures and that it's a long season. I have highlighted the only two teams that finished in the top seven that Southampton have played so far this season, lost both. Fair play to them that they have been able to beat a lot of the other midtable teams but talking about them challenging for anything other than top 7 or 8 is nonsense IMO.

• Hull City   0  1    Southampton         
  • Southampton   1  0    Stoke City     
  • Southampton   8  0    Sunderland     
  • Tottenham Hotspur   1  0    Southampton     
  • Southampton   2  1    Queens Park Rangers     
  • Swansea City   0  1    Southampton     
  • Southampton   4  0    Newcastle United     
  • West Ham United   1  3    Southampton     
  • Southampton   0  0    West Bromwich Albion     
  • Liverpool   2  1    Southampton 
Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

Not nonsense given how wide open it is with Liverpool, United and Spurs not looking particularly good but yes, you would expect Southampton to drop at some point. Could finish top-six though.

Edit: Though I'm not really convinced by that conclusion based on the Liverpool and Spurs defeats as anyone who watched both knows that they should've got something from those matches, especially vs. Liverpool. It's not like they were completely outplayed and a big gulf in class was evident or anything.

Edited by Isa

I think I read that they have had 8 players who have played every game this season. Including the back 4. The same back four for every game. I don't think we have put the same back four out for two games running, maybe the first 2 games. 

Liverpool, United and Spurs .... Could finish top-six though.

I think those three teams will all spend in January and So'ton won't. I'd be very surprised if they managed to finish top six.

It would've surprised me before the season started, not so much now. Everton finished 5th last season with a squad that isn't too far ahead of theirs for example. At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if it pans out as you say and they pretty much replicate last season.

I think I read that they have had 8 players who have played every game this season. Including the back 4. The same back four for every game. I don't think we have put the same back four out for two games running, maybe the first 2 games. 

Ronald Koeman is the Dutch version of MON ;)

Tony Cascarino (sp?) was being interviewed on talk sport this morning. When asked if Chelsea could go undefeated all season he said that the toughest game left was Southampton away.

Now I do get a lot of the love for Southampton after the summer they had, but really? Toughest game left?

Edited by av1

<p>

So the Southampton hype seems to be endless. Again people forget to look at the fixtures and that it's a long season. I have highlighted the only two teams that finished in the top seven that Southampton have played so far this season, lost both. Fair play to them that they have been able to beat a lot of the other midtable teams but talking about them challenging for anything other than top 7 or 8 is nonsense IMO.

• Hull City 0 1 Southampton
  • Stoke City 2 3 Southampton
  • Southampton 1 0 Stoke City
  • Southampton 8 0 Sunderland
  • Tottenham Hotspur 1 0 Southampton
  • Southampton 2 1 Queens Park Rangers
  • Swansea City 0 1 Southampton
  • Southampton 4 0 Newcastle United
  • West Ham United 1 3 Southampton
  • Southampton 0 0 West Bromwich Albion
  • Liverpool 2 1 Southampton
If you're gonna throw in the cup game vs. Stoke you may aswell add the previous round;

Arsenal1-2 Southampton

which constitutes beating a top side away but I suppose that didnt support you're argument. For what its worth, they were the better team against Liverpool and should have probably won and had their 1 off day this season away to the scummy spuds which resulted in a narrow 1-0 reverse. They look brilliant from what iv'e seen of them this season tbf, an actual improvement on last season. 6 clean sheets in the league, best defensive record about too..

I do expect the wheels to fall off at some point but what a ride for their fans to be on these last 5 years.

Edited by BleedClaretAndBlue

If you're gonna throw in the cup game vs. Stoke you may aswell add the previous round;

Arsenal1-2 Southampton

which constitutes beating a top side away but I suppose that didnt support you're argument.

Sorry that cup game shouldn't be there, I missed deleting it. Also beating Arsenal's B team in an early season mid week cup tie that Arsenal don't care about doesn't constitute beating a top side IMO.

Edited by villa89

• 3 weeks later...

didnt look too great last night at all. 1st time really saw them but they were very slow paced at times.

also the pre game interview with Koeman just proves he is a smug square headed word removed

Its the Phil brown syndrome. Excellent start to the season, believe the hype and hope the confidence transmits to the players. Some managers downplay similar situations.

I hope Southampton get in the top 4 tbh, even more so at the expense of Liverpool.

They're a bit like us a few years ago.

A good team, good players, but it'll be the inability to break teams down who set out to defend and defend well.

The problem is we are now that defensive team.

They've been facing teams that they have had to break down for weeks. It was an off-day but also the change of system didn't help. They were not able to exercise their usual control with only two central-midfielders.

Inability was probably the wrong word.

But you know what I mean. Again, like us when we were finishing 6th. We'd do well but then we'd come up against Wigan who'd park the bus and we'd really struggle to break them down.

It was games like that that stopped us breaking the top 4. And i think it'll be games like that that stop Southampton doing the same.

I'm not knocking them. They've been fantastic so far, and I'm jealous of their league position and the way they play.

Yeah, in general you make a valid point. Ultimately, they should eventually fall short of maintaining the consistancy required to break into the top-four. If they finish around sixth, they've done well.

I think one look at the bench will show why they'll falter when they get a few injuries and suspensions at the same time. Couple of youth products in Targett and Reed who I know little about, back up CB is Yoshida and back up striker is Mayuka who I don't think has ever scored in the premier league.

I still fancy them to finish above Spurs and Liverpool though so could still be 6th.

Â