NurembergVillan

I said "I expect Southampton to surprise people again" page 30 back in early August.

The important thing was who were the most influential players in the Southampton team last season and what happened to them?

The most influential player in any football team in my opinion is the centre back, then a strong midfield player (if any) and then the goalkeeper.

Southampton kept Fonte, their strongest CB, and they kept Schneiderlin, and they actually recruited a better goalkeeper than they have had in years - Forster. 

With a core like that they will continue to do well based on a good defence.

The question I had was whether the new players they bought would be able to create chances and score the goals. Seems like that question was answered against Newcastle.

I think the close of the transfer window probably came as a blessed relief. At one point, people were talking about Fonte going to Cardiff, which is just madness in so many ways. Now, they get on with the football, and they do still have a pretty good core of players. When injuries start to bite, they may seem a little lacking in depth, but we'll see. 

Of the players they lost I think Lallana was the only huge impact. Shaw was still finding his feet , he had promise but 30m for him is ludicrous, same goes for Chambers. Lambert was being used less and less and in Pelle has been well replaced, Lovren has been replaced with Anderweireld(sp?)

Add Long, Tadic, Taider, Bertrand and the others they brought in, they've not gone backwards and have several million in the bank if anything is needed in January.

The firesale there was only an issue if they didn't replace players. They've had to pay over the odds, but they've received over the odds for their sales so it's balanced out quite nicely there.

Let's not forget that Newcastle are **** atrocious.

Mad to think it does actually feel like points dropped at the moment. 

Yep.

I think we knew that at the time, regardless of how poor they've been since.

It was a good performance form us that day, it just lacked any sort of competence going forward. 

Had we mustered a handful of efforts that day we'd have won. That's the disappointing thing.

Let's not forget that Newcastle are **** atrocious.

Mad to think it does actually feel like points dropped at the moment. 

Yep.

I think we knew that at the time, regardless of how poor they've been since.

It was a good performance form us that day, it just lacked any sort of competence going forward. 

Had we mustered a handful of efforts that day we'd have won. That's the disappointing thing.

I think if away fans turned up at VP with Pardew out, Pardew is a muppet banners. When your away fans turn on you, a team has had it. Think that helped Soton to settle and win the game easily.

• 1 month later...

Wow just wow.

After a squad being decimated Koeman has been phenomenal.

Tadic is awesome. 4 assists today.

Pelle showing he has ability.

Even players like Davis (formally us), showing his ability.

Yes Sunderland were poor but never thought anything like this for Southampton.

They'll struggle when they pick up a few injuries as they've been o.k so far on that front. Top half for sure though from what they've produced so far. Keeping Schnderlein was key, lose him and your team heartbeat goes like it did for us with Milner and Newcastle with Cabaye.

Wow just wow.

After a squad being decimated Koeman has been phenomenal.

Tadic is awesome. 4 assists today.

Pelle showing he has ability.

Even players like Davis (formally us), showing his ability.

Yes Sunderland were poor but never thought anything like this for Southampton.

Tadic is an amazing player we was linked with him ourselves for a few years and rumours we submitted a £9mil bid in January for him which was rejected..

Pelle was a player i would have liked at Villa for a few seasons as his record in Holland is similar to Bony's and Finnbogason's and know's where the net is.

Would love Villa to continue looking to the dutch leagues for talent a similar talent to Tadic is Hakim Ziyech and he assists and scores a lot for a playmaker and banging them in for fun at moment is Michiel Kramer, hopefully we have scouts looking at this league for the best talent.

Top marks to Koeman for bringing class talent over to the Premiership.

credit to them but no coincidence that the 2 half decent teams they have played in the league has beaten them

still need to be tested for me

Whilst I agree, it depends on the context. They're certainly not going to be down in the mud with the likes of us if they put teams weaker than them to the sword as they do. Plus, their confidence will be sky high right now, they know they have lots of goals in them.

Impressive.

Â