Match Thread - PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

samjp26

I agree we probably won't change anything for now, but for me I firmly believe, Baker and Okore to be our best central defensive pairing, and I hope to see this materialise throughout the season, I will admit I'm not a huge fan of Vlaar, for someone dubbed with leadership skills, he doesn't strike me as a leader of men, and I find his apparent (not that i'm sure i agree) inability to play at LCB disturbing, his inability to adapt is ridiculous. I just believe he could be much more commanding of the area, and a lot more vocal if it's his experience were to utilise, Chelsea's pace in the final third could tear apart the wooden approach Vlaar boasts, but i agree Sylla>KEA any day of the week his grit, determination and defensive prowess would prove vital against Chelsea. 

My prediction is we'll see the debut of Jores Okore. He already excelled against Chelsea in the CL and with Baker out and Clark having played on Saturday it's the perfect opportunity to introduce him into the side.

Watching the Malaga game Okore looked a little bit like a rabbit in the headlights  - so I think for all his faults Clark will start tonight

Just realized that if we manage a draw, we'll go top of the table again on goal difference. At least until the weekend.

Goals scored wouldn't it be?

Table after an n-n draw:

Villa: 4 pts, +2 gd, 3+n scored

Chelsea: 4 pts, +2 gd, 2+n scored

Don't think we'll win but don't think it will be a loss by more than 2 goals, it's not Mourinho's style. Chelsea will go 2-0 up and take the foot of the gas, and we might claw back a draw. If we get the upper hand, I don't think Chelsea's defence will be able to handle Gabby-Benteke-Weimann, they couldn't at VP last year.

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla

I would never predict 3-1 win against Arsenal. I find it highly unlikely we will win Chelsea.  We should play defensive.   A draw or a win would be a bonus. If we don't loose away against MC, MU and Chelsea would be great.

Chelsea is a much better team than Arsenal. Much better.

The match is pretty much given before it's played, they will have a right go at us from the whistle. Our chances will come in the form of counters, which of course always is our game-plan. Our team is pretty crap at charging games and creating momentum, especially at home against teams we are "expected" to beat. Chelsea away though is as tough as it gets, they will probably have 25 shots and we will have something like 3 or 4 tops. Let's hope they have one of those days Paris St. Germain had the other day, where they had some 35+ shots and one goal max. The other team had 1 shot on target and they drew the match... Let's get lucky...

It's interesting how Sky slyly try to make us look like we are on worse recent form than Chelsea. What's the point of doing that? It's actually quite hilarious. On the "Last 6 matches section" for starters, they only have 5 fixtures for us instead of 6. 2 of which being the loss to Luton and the draw with Wycombe. Umm, what about our 5-0 and 5-1 back to back victories? Weird.

Edited by Keyblade

I'd take 3 points and a decent GD after our first 3 games, so if we can keep them from scoring a load I'll be happy, still think we can get something off Liverpool as well.

Today seems to be going quick, canny wait!

Edited by samjp26

Think we need to play quite conservative today.

As much as I love Weimann I would put Bacuna in his place. Him and Gabby on the counter....just think Bacuna having been tried for RB will be better Vs Cole, Mata/Oscar etc.

Id start with:

_______________Guzan________________

_Lowton____Okore______Vlaar_____Luna__

________Sylla__Westwood__Delph________

___Bacuna____________________Gabby___

_______________Benteke________________

The match is pretty much given before it's played, they will have a right go at us from the whistle. Our chances will come in the form of counters, which of course always is our game-plan. Our team is pretty crap at charging games and creating momentum, especially at home against teams we are "expected" to beat. Chelsea away though is as tough as it gets, they will probably have 25 shots and we will have something like 3 or 4 tops. Let's hope they have one of those days Paris St. Germain had the other day, where they had some 35+ shots and one goal max. The other team had 1 shot on target and they drew the match... Let's get lucky...

Against Arsenal we were 1-0 down, yet we got into the game, created a bit of momentum and changed the game. And we had almost the same amount of shots as them.