Match Thread - PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

samjp26

I think we will field pretty much the same team - this is also going to be a much harder game as well. We met a tired Arsenal with a lot of injuries and niggles, now we are playing a blistering Chelsea away and they have pretty much all their players available.

Arsenal suits ut well, they have high up the field but sometimes have slow tempo in their passing - making it possible for us to counter them every single game. We have beaten them some three times in the last five or six at Emirates right?

Chelsea are a totally different ball-game. They are extremely good at defensive organizing and have been for ten years, especially under Mourinho when they let in 15 (!) goals in one season. It's hard to think that we let in 15 goals against Chelsea, Spurs and Wigan - and they let 15 goals in during 38 games? Not dissing us, what happened last year was freakish of course, but it just says something about Mourinho. Arsenal were lackluster in their attacking play, no chemistry and just random bursts into our area. Chelsea are quick, their play for Oscar's 1-0 goal was pow pow goal.

I think with the cards we have been dealt with Arsenal (a) and Chelsea (a) in 5 days, including traveling down to London and up again in the meantime, well we are not favorites for this tie. I have one eye on Liverpool as well, why wouldn't that tie be moved to Monday? Annoying setup for us. What I fear is giving it a real go tonight, lose 3-0 and leaving every player knackered for the Liverpool-game we actually have a shot at winning on Saturday... must be tough for Lambert, knowing every bit of firepower spent today will leave us tired for Liverpool. These are great athletes though, we have a week off after Liverpool so I guess we will be fielding the same team in all these three games, more or less.

Guzan - Luna - Vlaar - Clark - Lowton - KEA - Delph - Westwood - Weimann - Gabby - Benteke

Before Arsenal I felt we had something going into the game, I think I predicted we scored 2 or so goals in the match thread before the game and we did! Tonight I am afraid every single analysis of the game predicts a heavy loss. They are just that good, and we meet them at a bad time. They were awesome in the first half against Hull, before stepping it down a few gears in the second-half, making substitutions and resting players. What sucks is that their next game is away to Man Utd on Monday, so they can field a strong team and still recover in good time.

Prediction: 4 - 1

But if we lose tonight and bring it to Liverpool, well we still stand a great chance of having a much higher tally of points compared to what we could expect from these three opening fixtures :) Now, prove me all wrong and bring us a point!

Are we not all villa fans here, what's with the pessimism, sure Chelsea ran rings around hull on Sunday, but did you not notice the space they were given, we have a much younger, energetic team, sure the Chelsea team posses some pure class, but we can easily get in amongst the quick passing, force them into dead ends and utilise our youthful strength, admittedly I fear Vlaar's lack of pace and think we need to give Okore a start, I know we've got the ability up front to break them down, especially if Agbonlahor puts in another blistering performance, besides the last game we played against Chelsea I believe we deserved to win, and thought we looked to do so until Benteke got sent of, still 2-1 was hardly a pounding, and an interesting fact for you; Jose Mourinho has won none of his last four Premier League matches against Aston Villa, three ending in draws and the other a villa victory, so we get in amongst them tonight, make not silly mistakes and I truly believe a 2-1 villa victory is on the cards!!!!

My prediction is we'll see the debut of Jores Okore. He already excelled against Chelsea in the CL and with Baker out and Clark having played on Saturday it's the perfect opportunity to introduce him into the side.

• Like 1

I would be happy with 3 points from our first 3 games so saturday was a great start and anything else is a bonus now for me.Predicted a drubbing by arsenal and they proved me wrong

But I still simply can't see pass a comfortable Chelsea victory

The way lambert has been bigging up kea this week suggests Sylla won't play

That would be disappointing coz I think Sylla is vital to our team and I don't rate el Ahmadi

Hope Okore starts. 3-0 Chelsea

Clark should be in for Baker.

There's no point in changing a winning side this early in the season. Had we lost or drawn at Arsenal then fair enough, but you don't reward a win by benching a number of the players.

Talk of Okore will be wide of the mark. Rotation further up the field can be worthwhile, but you don't swap out your centre backs for the sake of it. 

Will people stop going on about Vlaar being uncomfortable on the left side. He has played there for Feyernoord, he has played there for Holland.

Anybody ever wondered that maybe it just so happened to be Baker and Clark that are more comfortable on that side? They have both been deployed at left back before so it would make more sense.

Vlaar and Okore can work fine.

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 1