Manchester United

BOF

Premier League drops to 14 clubs

Premier League 2 with 16 or 18 clubs

Premier League 2 clubs get a half share of the TV deal

The "big" clubs get basically the same money as before with a less-congested schedule

The clubs for whom relegation is a major threat get protection from relegation

Wasn't that suggestion from the Bolton chairman? It's not practical IMO as the premier league 2 would just become the new "division one" and all the hype media focus would be on the Premier League 1. Also it would take about 15 minutes for the clubs in the Premier League 1 to realise that they are the ones generating all the TV income and they would want their % increased.

The FA cup is the winter break. Premier league teams don't have a competitive game for 9 days after the games on new years day.

Edited by villa89

• 1 month later...

To be fair to him, playing in La Paz is like playing on top of a mountain. I can imagine for somebody not used to it it's a hell of a shock to the system!

Don't Bolivia have an outrageous home record because teams can't cope with playing at altitude?

Yeah and I knew that'd be used in his defence. This is a footballer who has trained with one of the top football clubs in the world for years. Shock to the system or not, half an hour and needing oxygen is a disgrace. He also missed a penalty on his debut for them but that's neither here nor there. This is one footballer who deserves precisely zero sympathy.

I do like their jersey though :D

Yes, it's not like playing on top of a mountain. It literally is playing on top of a mountain. La Paz is the highest capital city on the planet. 

Yeah and I knew that'd be used in his defence. This is a footballer who has trained with one of the top football clubs in the world for years. Shock to the system or not, half an hour and needing oxygen is a disgrace. He also missed a penalty on his debut for them but that's neither here nor there. This is one footballer who deserves precisely zero sympathy.

I do like their jersey though :D

You can't train for altitude sickness. Some people just get affected worse than others. 

It doesn't excuse him, I was just putting context around it. If you didn't know how high La Paz was (I'm not saying you didn't, but someone watching the video might not) then it looks a lot worse than it is.

:bang: Yes, La Paz is high. I know. Most football fans know. Still doesn't excuse him to this extent.

Harsh. It affects people differently. Didn't stop me laughing at people being carried back down the trek I did in Nepal though

:bang: Yes, La Paz is high. I know. Most football fans know. Still doesn't excuse him to this extent.

Ridiculous. Do you know how it is to play in La Paz after being in England/Italy for 10 years? Do you know how his stamina is and how his oxygen uptake is? I don't either, but it should be mountains above yours I'm sure!

Anderson was always a honest player, injuries ruined his career and motivation. Happens to a lot of them.... he has won the Premier League ( four times) and the Champions League by the way.

• Like 1

Anderson had a good first season and then stole a living afterwards...look at his contribution between 12/14 for instance...oh wait there wasn't one. Djimi Traore, Riise and Nunez won champions leagues so that's a bit pointless.

I do agree though that there's next to no altitude in europe (the highest english ground is the Hawthorns believe it or not) so can understand why his body couldn't really cope as apparently you need to be based there for two weeks to fully adapt.

That said he's not the best conditioned player is he and was frequently blowing out of his backside after 60 minutes on his rare appearances for Man. United.

Heard Tim Vickery talking about Anderson on talkshite earlier, in 30 seconds

Exceptional talent, world class potential, moved to Europe, got injured, gained weight, lost interest, moved back to brazil.

Edited by Jimzk5

He was good at Porto but he played a different position...from memory he played as a wide right attacking midfielder...sort of similar role to Beckham but Fergie had it in his head that he had to be converted into a central midfielder.

He was a proper number 10 with a free role, had tons of skill and good passing ability.

Fergie signed him and played him defensive mid and he lost interest, can understand why.

In no way should anybody be mocked for getting altitude sickness in La Paz. You can't say, 'well, he's a professional footballer, he should be able to cope with it' - it's completely and totally different to playing almost anywhere else in the world. There may be many good reasons to mock Anderson but this isn't one of them. 

• Like 3

Â