Manchester United

BOF

Which is always why this "winter break" argument makes me laugh. The players will be jetting all over playing "lucrative friendlies" and not getting the rest they supposedly need 

You will note that the clubs who are pushing for it the hardest are the ones who have tours of South East Asia, the United States and the Middle East lined up...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

No away wins so far....Sunderland, Burnley, Leicester and WBA have hardly been the most taxing opposition. 

I'd suggest to get top 4 they need to starting winning some away games. Man. City and Arsenal their next two away although if they're still struggling no doubt we will oblige and break their duck.

Could be a very low points total for 4th this year I reckon, 70 points is usually the margin but could be the low 60s as Liverpool have looked very unconvincing aswell.

I'd love someone like Southampton to get it while selling their best players. Yes it wouldn't be good for us but Southampton are hardly going to be making the top 4 every season so would freshen things up like you get in Spain.

• 1 month later...

Didn't take long for them to get back to the top end of the league did it?

Van Gaal has done quite a good job actually, the fact that he now has Valencia, Young and Fellani all playing so well is amazing.

The scary thing is they have won six in a row, whilst beating Arsenal and Southampton away whilst not playing very well as a team. They will be a very scary team to face once Di Maria and Shaw are back and Falcao is fully fit.

No away wins so far....Sunderland, Burnley, Leicester and WBA have hardly been the most taxing opposition. 

I'd suggest to get top 4 they need to starting winning some away games. Man. City and Arsenal their next two away although if they're still struggling no doubt we will oblige and break their duck.

Sorted. Unfortunately. 

Can't see them competiting for the league this year. To win the league you'll need 90 + points this season I reckon so United still need to win a stupid number of games.

In good shape to properly compete for it next season though, this season was all about getting top 4 and maybe winning a cup.

I don't even think Van Gaal thought they could win the title this season but they are probably ahead of schedule.   They have been fortunate of late, winning a few games on very fine margins which could have easily gone the other way and maybe we wouldn't be having this conversation right now if they had. But like they've always said, if you cant be good, be lucky.  Of course having £150m to throw at the squad helps too, but we don't talk about that because Chelsea and Man City are the sides who buy their way out of trouble. 

If you think about the players that are not fit then I think Van Gaal is doing a very good job. They can only get better imo. Not title winners this season but definately top 4. Actually I think the top 4 is going to be very predictable this season. 

If you think about the players that are not fit then I think Van Gaal is doing a very good job. They can only get better imo. Not title winners this season but definately top 4. Actually I think the top 4 is going to be very predictable this season.

Not really. Even only considering the players they have available then United should be at least 3rd. Their goals this weekend were scored by players who cost a combined £90m in transfer fees and are almost certainly clearing £2m a month between them in wages. If you don't give them a pass for having injures like every other club has to deal with then they have the most expensively assembled squad the Premier League has ever seen.

Van Gaal is simply getting credit for being the guy who followed the guy who followed Fergie.

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 1

Didn't take long for them to get back to the top end of the league did it?

Van Gaal has done quite a good job actually, the fact that he now has Valencia, Young and Fellani all playing so well is amazing.

The scary thing is they have won six in a row, whilst beating Arsenal and Southampton away whilst not playing very well as a team. They will be a very scary team to face once Di Maria and Shaw are back and Falcao is fully fit.

I can't "like" that post, but it's a good post. Juan Mata is playing better under LVG too. 

• Like 1

Van Gaal is simply getting credit for being the guy who followed the guy who followed Fergie.

I'm not sure it's as simple as that. Not that i want to give the guy any credit at all, because he's not very likable, but he's a skilled manager who has righted the ship after a disastrous season last year and a terrible start to this season. Injuries and pressure can destroy a manager's plans; he seems to have taken it in stride and made progress. I'll concede that that's easier to do with the players at his disposal, but superstars need guidance and direction too. 

A month ago Van Gaal had fewer points after the equivalent number of games than Moyes had got, and he had fewer points in game against the same opposition as Moyes had played.  If fans hadn't vented against Moyes a year earlier they would have been spitting feathers at Van Gaal.  It's been said repeatedly on here that Fergie was an impossible act to follow and whoever did it would have a very rough ride from the fans.  Moyes did badly but Van Gaal is still being judged against what Moyes did rather than against what Fergie did or what players he has at his disposal. 

• Like 2

I think with Moyes though, he had lost the dressing room by this time last season. I don't think LVG has the same issues, and that's down to his managerial nous. 

Sometimes I wonder with Moyes, had results gone a little different very early on, even preseason games, would things have turned out better for him there...it's not like he morphed into a bad manager overnight. Maybe the pressure made him lose self belief and the players could smell it.

• Like 1

Â