Manchester United

BOF

I think with Moyes though, he had lost the dressing room by this time last season. I don't think LVG has the same issues, and that's down to his managerial nous. 

Or down to him not having been there long enough.  Usually takes LVG about 7 or 8 months for the players to properly start hating him.

• Like 4

I think with Moyes though, he had lost the dressing room by this time last season. I don't think LVG has the same issues, and that's down to his managerial nous. 

Sometimes I wonder with Moyes, had results gone a little different very early on, even preseason games, would things have turned out better for him there...it's not like he morphed into a bad manager overnight. Maybe the pressure made him lose self belief and the players could smell it.

Moyes was way out of his depth, although his results in the first half of the season were not that bad. They had qualified from their Champions League group unbeaten, were still well in the race for fourth and through to the Capital One Cup semi finals.

It was the second half of the season where he seemed to have no answer to things, including the infamous Fulham game, signing Mata even though they had more pressing concerns and then saying Liverpool go to Old Trafford favourites and that they aspire to be like Liverpool,

Or down to him not having been there long enough.  Usually takes LVG about 7 or 8 months for the players to properly start hating him.

But don't forget that most of the Manure squad are used to Fergie's authoritarian rule. I don't think they will mind LVG's approach as much as other squads.

I think they've done well to get where they are with a defence worse than our own. De Gea is a big part of that. Brilliant keeper.

Get a few defenders in and I see no reason why they can't go for the title. Like Liverpool last year, they've no distractions, and plenty of goals in them. Unlike Liverpool, they have the experience to get over the line if it comes to it.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

Sometimes I wonder with Moyes, had results gone a little different very early on, even preseason games, would things have turned out better for him there...it's not like he morphed into a bad manager overnight. Maybe the pressure made him lose self belief and the players could smell it.

I like David Moyes but he wasn't a good fit at all.

He has a negative mentality which gradually transmitted itself to the team and crowd over the season. Look at United's record against the top 6 last season, so often they'd win the big games under Fergie without batting an eyelid.

Last season it was liverpool- 2 losses (including them taking the mick at Old Trafford), Man. City, two heavy defeats (again Man. City strolling to victory at OT), Chelsea, 1 point, Spurs 1 point, Everton 2 losses and one win v Arsenal who are like us when they play Man. United.

One thing early in his reign struck out. They were beating Southampton 1 nil at Old Trafford with 5 minutes left and he was instructing Wellbeck to take the ball to the corner flag. They started sitting back and eventually conceded in injury time and drew 1-1. Under Fergie they'd have just kept attacking and scored a second goal to kill the game that way. That would've been the mentality under him anyway.

Another was the Sunderland cup game. Shambolic way to lose a cup semi final akin to our Bradford game.

I think he would've got more time and a second season at least there but as the season went on the performances just got more embarrassing.  Everyone remembers the Fulham 300 crosses game but after that I think I saw one of the worst performances from then in all my time watching football with that Olympiakos away performance. Apparently that was the night the board lost confidence in him big time.

It was embarrassing while it all happened, but it's probably done them some good as a club to finally admit that 'continuity' is less important than winning stuff. It's always a bad idea for people at the top to start believing their own PR. 

I like David Moyes but he wasn't a good fit at all.

He has a negative mentality which gradually transmitted itself to the team and crowd over the season. Look at United's record against the top 6 last season, so often they'd win the big games under Fergie without batting an eyelid.

Last season it was liverpool- 2 losses (including them taking the mick at Old Trafford), Man. City, two heavy defeats (again Man. City strolling to victory at OT), Chelsea, 1 point, Spurs 1 point, Everton 2 losses and one win v Arsenal who are like us when they play Man. United.

One thing early in his reign struck out. They were beating Southampton 1 nil at Old Trafford with 5 minutes left and he was instructing Wellbeck to take the ball to the corner flag. They started sitting back and eventually conceded in injury time and drew 1-1. Under Fergie they'd have just kept attacking and scored a second goal to kill the game that way. That would've been the mentality under him anyway.

Another was the Sunderland cup game. Shambolic way to lose a cup semi final akin to our Bradford game.

I think he would've got more time and a second season at least there but as the season went on the performances just got more embarrassing. Everyone remembers the Fulham 300 crosses game but after that I think I saw one of the worst performances from then in all my time watching football with that Olympiakos away performance. Apparently that was the night the board lost confidence in him big time.

Can't argue with any of this. Moyes is a very negative manager and it showed when at a bigger club.

I still think he'd be a good pick for us in our present state and would do good jobs at the likes of Newcastle and West Ham. Maybe even Spurs. Y'know that sort of level.

His Everton team weren't that bad to watch, especially in the later stages of his reign. 

Even if it did, it would surely cost United a ridiculous amount of money?

They signed him for £85 million and he's better than he was when they signed him, he's contracted until 2019 and surely Madrid don't want to sell him?

It would be an astronomical fee.

Re: Kurt & Stevo

That's kind of my point, it just seems impossible on every level, not least that bale seems as happy as the proverbial pig,

Yet the rags won't give up.

They are all crying out for UTD to succeed.

Why did they keep winning games? Looked pretty average, even against 10 men.

They are better in both boxes than most teams.   The number of attacking players at their disposal who can score goals out of nothing needs no explanation and they have a goalkeeper who is playing out of his skin at the moment.  The outfield part of their defense is disorganised and the midfield gets overrun too easily but even if you take yesterday's performance against ten men as an example, De Gea kept them in the game with his save from 'Tekkers and lets face it, who would have been surprised in RVP or Rooney had popped up with a last minute winner?  

They are better in both boxes than most teams....The outfield part of their defense is disorganised and the midfield gets overrun..

Bit of a contradiction, and as you point out Nays, they're a mess at the back - I don't think they're "better in their own box" than most sides are - they're weak at the back, but have a really excellent 'keeper.

They are better in both boxes than most teams....The outfield part of their defense is disorganised and the midfield gets overrun..

Bit of a contradiction, and as you point out Nays, they're a mess at the back - I don't think they're "better in their own box" than most sides are - they're weak at the back, but have a really excellent 'keeper.

De gea will be up there with likes of neuer and buffon as the best keepers in the world, that stop from bentekes header yesterday was insane.

Man. United 1-0 Palace- Palace missed a great chance at 0-0, United just about scraped a win but were pretty fortunate. Poor game.

Arsenal 1-2 United- Arsenal should've been well clear in this game at half time but recent record shows Man. United have Arsenal's number and like us Arsenal have it in their heads they just can't beat United no matter the performance. Plus they played well and took their chances in the second half.

Man. United 3-0 Hull- Convincing performance, that said Hull are rubbish atm.

Man. United 2-1 Stoke- Decent performance but they got away big time in the last minute with the miraculous clearence off the line from Young so really that could've been 2-2.

Southampton 1-2 United- Very similar to the Arsenal game really, they somehow hung on and took their chances. That said to me any win at Southampton this season is a very good result.

Man. United 3-0 Liverpool- Scoreline flattered them a fair bit but Liverpool are rubbish so think they'd have ground out a win anyway.

So many close games in there that have swung their way so law of averages suggests sooner or later they'd get a game where things wouldn't go their way. Given there was a ridiculous sending off in their favour, more along the lines of a result finally meriting the performance.

Think they'll drop more points over xmas, Spurs and Stoke away back to back over 3 days is pretty tough and they also have Chelsea away in January so no chance of a title challenge.

• Like 1

Â