VillaGoMarching

25 minutes ago, av1 said:

@OutByEaster?asked a question in the pre match thread yesterday regarding the Spurs midfield 2 vs our own. Watching the game I’d go further, take Kane and Son out of that Spurs team and they are absolutely bang average. Which I think is their problem, when those two aren’t on it they offer nothing. 

I know they were missing a few key players yesterday, but watching the game I thought  (aside from Son/Kane) there was probably 2 players at the most that would get into our 11. 

They have serious issues. Can’t see Conte sticking around for too much longer. 

People always say this yet I keep on looking at league table and these teams always end up finishing 10 points clear of us.😂

Spurs for all their flaws remain 9 points clear but we do have an excellent opportunity in next 6 games to significantly cut that margin.

Same as when Man. United have a bad result or two people always say they'd only take a couple of players from their 11, they've been on very good form now since mid August so clearly some of the summer signings have worked.

If we can keep on now after yesterday I think we have a serious chance of finishing above Chelsea and perhaps Spurs aswell.

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

They lack a decent ball playing midfielder so badly. Amazed they seemingly passed up on Eriksen and just let him go to Man. United. On a free and eventually played well for Conte at Inter Milan.

Back to where they were two years ago and this time Kane will leave in the summer so given Son is seemingly declining they're going to be very average at the back and upfront soon.

Bentancur can play in the middle but have never replaced Eriksen and Dembele and Spurs have not really been going anywhere for 3/4 years. Get into Champions League some years but never really challenge for either big trophy

• Like 1

Spurs's potential decline should encourage our owners that we can continue to progress. Their fanbase is all crying for Poch to return, but I highly doubt that would happen if they miss out on the top 4. The team lacks a spine, lacks leaders and Kane isn't going to be sticking around if they fail for make the above.

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Spurs's potential decline should encourage our owners that we can continue to progress. Their fanbase is all crying for Poch to return, but I highly doubt that would happen if they miss out on the top 4. The team lacks a spine, lacks leaders and Kane isn't going to be sticking around if they fail for make the above.

We had this opportunity two years ago but probably didn't have the manager to capitalise. Then Grealish leaving set us back a good 18 months.

We are finally over that and certainly have an elite manager in place so yes it's a big chance.

With a top 6/7 it's also worth noting that those in the 6th and 7th place finishes will always be likely sacking their manager and revamping the squad so those are the teams we need to seriously challenge in next few seasons and see what happens.

If Newcastle finish 5th then it will be interesting to see if they can challenge again next season or do they target winning the europa league instead to get in CL as they don't have the largest squad in many areas so that could play into our hands aswell.

• Like 1

I think Spurs should have sold Kane in 2021 and kept Mourinho and allow him to rebuild

Kane is a shadow of what he was and while he was never the most mobile before he just seems to have lost what he had

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

I think Spurs should have sold Kane in 2021 and kept Mourinho and allow him to rebuild

Kane is a shadow of what he was and while he was never the most mobile before he just seems to have lost what he had

Agreed, they had the best of him prior to that point. 

Its the hardest part of the game however actually letting a great player leave, even though deep down you know its right.

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

Kanes still very useful though withiut him i think they would be midtable. He hasbailed them out so many times nit just this year but last too. 

I think they should look to cash in on son they could probably still get big money for him to rebuild as he looks not the same player since his facial injury

Can’t stand Spurs and can’t stand Conte, chequebook Manager at best, fraud at worst.

Moaning about needing to spend more, didn’t they spend quite a bit in the summer? 

Conte saying they can’t challenge for the title and yet are behind Newcastle who’ve had less investment and have come from further behind than spurs are or were. Jamie o’hara on sky now parroting the same shit as well, more money, more money, more money - it’s not the answer when you have an egotistical, stubborn and overrated Manager.

• Like 1

On 02/01/2023 at 12:28, Zatman said:

Mourinho was never going to stay for long. It was never the right fit.  Wouldn't be surprised to see Poch back at Spurs this year.

They'd be in a much healthier position if they took the much touted deal of swapping Kane for Laporte, Cancelo and Bernardo Silva 2 summers ago and buying Vlahovic. Instead they have about half a dozen fullbacks and centre backs that aren't good enough for them and zero creativity in midfield which is their chief issue. Kane is going to leave eventually anyway and he's already declining slowly and doesn't affect games as much as he did 2 years ago.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Sky are going to town on the Spurs crisis - a team in trouble, underperforming and deserving more.

They're 5th.

What is it they're expecting?

5th is a good finish for Spurs, they're having a good season.

Weirdos.

They have too much airtime and not enough to talk about. 

• Like 1

Has a manager ever gone back and done better than 1st time?

Remember qhen taylor came back here second time? It was a utter disaster.

I doubt poch does any better than last time he went.he is better waiying fir newcastle job

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Sky are going to town on the Spurs crisis - a team in trouble, underperforming and deserving more.

They're 5th.

What is it they're expecting?

5th is a good finish for Spurs, they're having a good season.

Weirdos.

Sky not realising they created the chaos by talking them up at title contenders all summer...

In the context of arsenal being top and Newcastle flirting with 2nd I'm sure that adds to the disappointment

They should be around 3rd on paper, currently 5 points off it with a game in hand

17 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

A 4-0 win away from home, Son combining with Kane, they're two points off Newcastle in 3rd. Honestly, anyone would have thought they were in 15th after the last three days of Discourse. 

Maybe but the trajectory is very similar to when Mourinho was in charge. Came out flying for the first 10 games but then they dropped off and were 7th/8th when he was sacked in late April 2021.

Think people just got carried away by how they ended last season. Think they finished on 72 points so guess expectation was they'd kick on and get 80 + points but that was always going to be a big ask as they just don't have very good defenders bar Romero and constantly conceding two goals and expecting to win isn't sustainable even for Man. City.

Hopefully they'll be back in a state of flux in the summer with Conte and Kane and we can kick on and take advantage of it next season.

Â