VillaGoMarching

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

last few seasons after Fergie has shown what United fans really are, just another Liverpool. I happily prefer Spurs to win the league than them

*though hope glastonspur doesnt see this*

Fans are completely irrelevant. It's about the club's honours for me. 

I may be in a minority but I don't mind Man City.  I always had a soft spot for them when they were yo-yoing through the leagues and if any club other than Villa got bought out by oil billions, they'd be one of my preferred options.  At least they've generally played attacking football and bought exciting players unlike Chelsea under Mourinho.  I've grown to hate Liverpool and Utd over a long period of suffering their smarmy fans even down in Sussex and Utd now have Mourinho in charge on top of that, so there's double hate.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I may be in a minority but I don't mind Man City.  I always had a soft spot for them when they were yo-yoing through the leagues and if any club other than Villa got bought out by oil billions, they'd be one of my preferred options.  At least they've generally played attacking football and bought exciting players unlike Chelsea under Mourinho.  I've grown to hate Liverpool and Utd over a long period of suffering their smarmy fans even down in Sussex and Utd now have Mourinho in charge on top of that, so there's double hate.

I liked City until that arrogant clearing in the woods took over last summer

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Man City are everything that is wrong with football.

So are Chelsea. At least City had a core of loyal support. Back in the 80s Chelsea gates went down to 4k 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

With Spurs lack of additions it could be physiological impact on them.

Can't see Spurs winning the league next season anyway. I think they will do well to get top four.  once the season starts and they play each other that friendly game will be nowhere in their mind. My opinion of course.

Kane - Probably the best striker in the league. At least top 3.

Eriksen - IMO, best attacking mid in the league. 

Alli - One of the best CMs in the league. Flies under the radar. 

Dembele - Again, vastly underrated CM. He never loses the ball, and has great defensive positioning

Wanyama - Had a good year last year. Wasn't talked about often but he was a rock.

Son - Had a great season last year. Did more than a lot of "top" wingers in the league

Rose - solid full back. Not much to fault him on.

Vertonghen and Alderweireld - Arguably the best and most consistent defensive pairing in the league

Trippier - He was good for Burnley, and has done well when filling in. Only spot I'd say is really suspect.

Lloris - Top 3 keeper

Spurs have a great starting XI. Problem is their depth. Janssen, Lamela, Nkoudou, Dier, Winks, Carroll, Davies, Wimmer, Carter-Vickers, and Walker-Peters are their core subs and 2nd team. Not the best. If Spurs hit injury trouble, I can see them dropping fast.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Czechlad said:

Spurs have a great starting XI. Problem is their depth. Janssen, Lamela, Nkoudou, Dier, Winks, Carroll, Davies, Wimmer, Carter-Vickers, and Walker-Peters are their core subs and 2nd team. Not the best. If Spurs hit injury trouble, I can see them dropping fast.

I actually disagree - I think their squad depth is really impressive, particularly compared to the other "big clubs" who spend far, far more money.  Before Walker **** off to Man City, they had:

GK - Lloris (Vorm)

DF - Rose, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Walker (Davies, Wimmer, Trippier, Dier if needed)

MF - Dier, Wanyama, Dembele, Eriksen, Alli (Son, Sissoko, Lamela, Winks, Onomah)

ST - Kane (Son, Janssen)

Ben Davies, Kieran Tripper, Son Yeung-min, Moussa Sissoko (attitude, ofc), Harry Winks and Eric Lamela (maybe) are pretty good quality players to be backup.

I think only the oil clubs top it, personally.

When can we say Kane is the best striker in the league? Does he need to win a 3rd golden boot in a row? 

They have the best defence in the league (by far if you include Lloris), the best striker in the league, one of the best CAMs in the league as well as a very solid and deep midfield. And most importantly, the  best  team  chemistry  in the  league. No reason why they shouldn't be up there again.

• Like 1

Kane's record against the top clubs is pretty abysmal. I remember seeing a chart that showed he only scored 1 goal against the teams that finished top 5 and it was a penalty. 

A lot of Kane's goals came against midtable clubs. Obviously he needs to be scoring those goals, but for me he needs to do more against the likes of Chelsea and City instead of hammering 3 past Hull and Swansea. 

8 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Kane's record against the top clubs is pretty abysmal. I remember seeing a chart that showed he only scored 1 goal against the teams that finished top 5 and it was a penalty. 

A lot of Kane's goals came against midtable clubs. Obviously he needs to be scoring those goals, but for me he needs to do more against the likes of Chelsea and City instead of hammering 3 past Hull and Swansea. 

same can be said for Lukaku in fairness, his record in derbies at Everton was awful

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

same can be said for Lukaku in fairness, his record in derbies at Everton was awful

Lukaku was actually a little bit better. He had 3 goals if I remember right against top 4 opponents. 3 goals in 8 isn't bad. 

Also should be noted that Kane had better players around him when playing better opponents. I know i'd rather have Eriksen feeding me chances instead of Barkley. 

On 7/30/2017 at 19:17, TrentVilla said:

With Spurs lack of additions it could be physiological impact on them.

It will be interesting as Spurs have had City's number the last couple of seasons, with their pace and energy a really bad match up for Man. City.

I remember last year they'd won their opening 7 games, went to WHL with Spurs having an indifferent start and were played off the pitch, 2-0 but could've easily been 4 or 5.

If Man. City can start owning Spurs in league games it suggests they're likely to win the league.

Â