VillaGoMarching

Need to start a season off like that, last two years they've made reasonably slow starts and the points dropped add up in the end.

Mind you Man. City won their first 8 league games I think and were nowhere near in the end. 

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Hmm know what you are saying but they were what... 7 pts off? It's not exactly close and they never at any stage looked like they would win it.

Theyve been unlucky to miss out two years running to sides not in Europe but I'm not sure I'd go as far as to say the above.

That's quite true but Chelsea were worthy winners. 

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Another season without no silverware for spurs 

They've expanded their search for silverware.

DAWEefvXoAEhvp_.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

I don't think luck had anything to do with it, they were beaten by a better team.

Yes they were but that's not my point. My point was that there has been many teams worse than Spurs that have won it. 

Edited by PaulC

Spurs are a good side with some excellent players and predominately young and British - whether or not that last aspect means anything to you in particular it should still be applauded.

Look at the players they have and where they bought them from (where applicable), for example:

Dele Ali - Milton Keynes

Ben Davies - Swansea

Harry Kane - Academy

Kyle Walker - Sheffield United

Keiran Trippier - Burnley

Compare this to any of the other top 5/6 sides who have spunked huge amounts of money on players from big clubs (Mourinho / United, case in point) and it's really a quite phenomonal achievement to be fair to them.

Edited by bannedfromHandV

I would bet a fairly large amount of cash that they won't win the league next season.  That doesn't mean I'm against the idea.  Just that there are a few factors counting against them.

The stadium is going to impact them in more ways than one.

Firstly and most tangibly, the fact that their home games will be in Wembley.  A stadium they've struggled to perform in to date.  They'll no doubt improve their Wembley form from what it currently is, but will they improve it enough to win the league title?

Secondly, the stadium's financial impact on Spurs's ability to buy the right players in the transfer market.  They'll be surrounded by clubs who can spend shedloads more than they can.  So not only will their transfer activity be hampered financially, it will therefore be hampered numerically.  They'll be fighting on all fronts again next season and unless they throw Europe away again like last season then they'll struggle to compete.

The only thing in their favour will be Champions League football.  By which I mean this season's champions will now have the scheduling burden of European football.  It's no co-incidence that the last 2 champions had no European football.  So at least Spurs's playing field will be levelled next season by every probable rival having some flavour of European football.  Obviously it remains to be seen how seriously Arsenal treat the EL and whether Man Utd will be in the EL or the CL.

Ironically, if Arsenal take the decision to treat the Europa League the way they treat the League Cup, then they'll have their best chance at a league title in more than a decade.

• Like 1

Yes Wembley is a factor but the squad is already good enough to win the league, wheares Arsenal's isn't and there is every chance the will loose their best player. 

Edited by PaulC

Just now, PaulC said:

Yes Wembley is a factor but the squad is already good enough to win the league, wheares Arsenal's isn't and there is every chance the will loose their best player. 

I didn't even broach the fact Spurs need to keep hold of their better players.  I expect this summer to break all spending records, and they're currently sitting on anything from 2 to 4 diamonds.  Also, you took me up wrong if you took it to mean Arsenal are the main threat.  I was merely pointing out their improved situation.  I don't expect City to be anywhere near as crap next season.

1 minute ago, BOF said:

I didn't even broach the fact Spurs need to keep hold of their better players.  I expect this summer to break all spending records, and they're currently sitting on anything from 2 to 4 diamonds.  Also, you took me up wrong if you took it to mean Arsenal are the main threat.  I was merely pointing out their improved situation.  I don't expect City to be anywhere near as crap next season.

Ok sorry. I think City will win the league next year. Can Spurs keep their best players! I think so! They are in a much better position than where they were when they sold Bale. 

2 hours ago, BOF said:

I would bet a fairly large amount of cash that they won't win the league next season.  That doesn't mean I'm against the idea.  Just that there are a few factors counting against them.

The stadium is going to impact them in more ways than one.

Firstly and most tangibly, the fact that their home games will be in Wembley.  A stadium they've struggled to perform in to date.  They'll no doubt improve their Wembley form from what it currently is, but will they improve it enough to win the league title?

Secondly, the stadium's financial impact on Spurs's ability to buy the right players in the transfer market.  They'll be surrounded by clubs who can spend shedloads more than they can.  So not only will their transfer activity be hampered financially, it will therefore be hampered numerically.  They'll be fighting on all fronts again next season and unless they throw Europe away again like last season then they'll struggle to compete.

The only thing in their favour will be Champions League football.  By which I mean this season's champions will now have the scheduling burden of European football.  It's no co-incidence that the last 2 champions had no European football.  So at least Spurs's playing field will be levelled next season by every probable rival having some flavour of European football.  Obviously it remains to be seen how seriously Arsenal treat the EL and whether Man Utd will be in the EL or the CL.

Ironically, if Arsenal take the decision to treat the Europa League the way they treat the League Cup, then they'll have their best chance at a league title in more than a decade.

Yeah, agreed with all of this.  Man City will be (well, should be) a challenger next season as well.

If you look at the squads rather than simply first teams of all the Premier League clubs, Spurs have built one tremendously well.  Very good rotation/cover where needed in pretty much every single position bar upfront - and that's likely to always be the case as strikers want to play rather than be cover.  I suppose Janssen could come good?

Just a brilliant job over the past few years.  Even when they didn't spend that Bale money very well and the Sissoko signing which has been awful, they have a top squad.

Quite refreshing seeing Spurs and Arsenal being "run properly" to be honest.  I imagine Spurs will pick up some debt with the stadium build (maybe?), but literally all of the other top teams are either oil-clubs or in massive debt.

• Like 1

When you have Levy in the boardroom it doesn't seem to be a problem when you do make a mister with a signing, they rarely lose money on players. 

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them turn a profit or get their money back on Sissoko.

I think they are in for a tough summer and will struggle to replicate this season next but the progress they've made is remarkable.

The new stadium will transform the finances of the club and put them on another level.

They are the best run club in the PL.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

They are the best run club in the PL.

Could argue Arsenal - but Spurs have at least made a whole load of progression recently whereas Arsenal haven't at all.

They did finance a new stadium build without going into debt, though.  That's fairly remarkable.

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

Nothing but absolute respect for them.

Even when they knew they'd finished second, none of those players have "gone on holiday".  John Terry is busy giving himself a guard of honour.  Jose Mourinho is resting absolutely everybody.  Man City, Liverpool and Arsenal aside - the rest of the league has nothing to play for.  They can't be bothered.

Spurs?  They thump Champions Leicester 6-1 and Hull 7-1, both away from home.  Just superb application and effort.

They've got an excellent team and perhaps in another season might have won it. They were superb.

I have to say. mind, that the Prem has gone from being a mini set of 3 leagues within a league, to just 2 leagues within a league - 7 teams battling for the top 6 places and then everyone else fighting not to be relegated - as soon as they get that, they pack up.

Â