VillaGoMarching

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Spurs can finish between 2nd and 4th as much as they like and have some impressive league and CL performances like Real Madrid, but if you dont win anything whats the point? Even we have been to more FA cup finals than they have over the last few years 

But we didn't win any so what's the point? ;)

Yes the better question would be imagine we had a manager like Poch instead of Mon.

Poch is the one that will be poached before long and the exodus will follow if they don't win things.

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Winning things is good but the league cup is worthless now. Might as well scrap it. 

Its good for the clubs that cant finish top 4 but its an unnecessary distraction for the likes of Man City and Spurs. Still Mourinho loves it. 

47 minutes ago, Xela said:

Winning things is good but the league cup is worthless now. Might as well scrap it. 

Totally disagree. That would be another nail in the coffin for football and just bowing down to the big clubs, because we all know the bigger clubs would rather it be scrapped. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa

8 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Should bring back the Cup-Winners cup, and scrap the "Champions" League and Europa league and turn them both back into straight  ahead, knock out competitions. Champions League should be the European cup involving  just the league winners not the top 3/4 depending on co-efficients blah blah bollocks.

(Yes I am getting old and I preferred things the way they were when they made sense.)

I agree. The days where you could draw any team with straight knock outs was the best. All this separating team bollocks has what's made it so shit

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I agree. The days where you could draw any team with straight knock outs was the best. All this separating team bollocks has made UEFA tons of **** money, given the big boys a chance to play money spinning dead rubbers and given eastern european nobodies 6 games a season vs the bigger boys

;)

its not going to change, if anything it'll probably expand

On 10/24/2017 at 16:55, TheAuthority said:

Playing devil's advocate, I find it hard to hold Kane to that standard because sadly he is playing in a shite team with a dour manager who has never done anything in club football.

The '96 team had McMannaman, Gascoigne etc. and El Tel knew what he was doing. Likewise Owen was part of a really good team in '98.

The team Lineker played in was managed by Bobby Robson and he had Beardsley, Waddle, Barnes, Hoddle & and an emerging Gascoigne playing with him. (Great memories.)

True but for England he's playing with half his team mates. Ali, Danny Rose, potentially Winks in the next year and he played with Kyle Walker for years aswell so if those combinations can get him goals for his club it shouldn't be impossible for the same to happen with England.

Spurs need to win stuff to keep their squad together.

There's only so long you can keep playing the we're ambitious card.

We saw what happened here, Barry and Young gave about 15 years service between them and we still didn't win anything and they went off and within 1-2 years were winning multiple trophies with their new clubs.

Kane, Ali, Vertonghen, Alderwield and Lloris could all be earning much more elsewhere but clearly they like playing for Pochettino and the Spurs project but only so long that viewpoint will last.

15 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Should bring back the Cup-Winners cup, and scrap the "Champions" League and Europa league and turn them both back into straight  ahead, knock out competitions. Champions League should be the European cup involving  just the league winners not the top 3/4 depending on co-efficients blah blah bollocks.

(Yes I am getting old and I preferred things the way they were when they made sense.)

That's never going to happen though

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Spurs need to win stuff to keep their squad together.

There's only so long you can keep playing the we're ambitious card.

We saw what happened here, Barry and Young gave about 15 years service between them and we still didn't win anything and they went off and within 1-2 years were winning multiple trophies with their new clubs.

Kane, Ali, Vertonghen, Alderwield and Lloris could all be earning much more elsewhere but clearly they like playing for Pochettino and the Spurs project but only so long that viewpoint will last.

Winning the league cup wont keep them together. they need a league title 

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

True but for England he's playing with half his team mates. Ali, Danny Rose, potentially Winks in the next year and he played with Kyle Walker for years aswell so if those combinations can get him goals for his club it shouldn't be impossible for the same to happen with England.

Fair point - however playing for Poch over Southgate is kinda like having steak, egg & chips for dinner  or some old, limp, wilted spinach.

9 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I agree. The days where you could draw any team with straight knock outs was the best. All this separating team bollocks has what's made it so shit

Also if you bring back the cup-winners cup, it makes the league cup something worth playing for. Make it a straight knock out competition with no seeding and the fans would love it. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Totally disagree. That would be another nail in the coffin for football and just bowing down to the big clubs, because we all know the bigger clubs would rather it be scrapped. 

The nails are already in the coffin.

That happened when finishing 4th in the league became the sole aim of teams, rather than actually winning things. 

Lap of honours for finishing 4th. Shit. 

• Like 1

Â