VillaGoMarching

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes but shambolic in Champions league and couldn't be bothered in Europa league. They are representing this country and need to earn respect. compared to Leicester they are a disgrace

Spurs represent Spurs in Europe. No patriotism for Champions League unless your in the media. Dont think neutral Spanish fans be cheering for Barca or Real or neutral French cheering for PSG when they are playing

I think most neutrals wanted Leicester to do well in the champions league last season. Not Forest and Derby fans obviously!  Still think they need to show a bit more in Europe than they have. get out the group stage at least else nobody can say this is a great team. They wont win the league this season. 

9 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I think most neutrals wanted Leicester to do well in the champions league last season. Not Forest and Derby fans obviously!  Still think they need to show a bit more in Europe than they have. get out the group stage at least else nobody can say this is a great team. They wont win the league this season. 

most wanted them to do well before the assistant and players stabbed Ranieri in the back. Then they became as detestable as other clubs

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

I think I would rather the north west  do well over London myself. 

I grew up hating Utd during the fergie era and could never want them to do well. Liverpool, the fans do my head in and so again could never want them to do well (despite being my very first team before I knew better. City are just city. Spurs at least play young British players and develop a lot of youth

• Like 1

I like them, but then my Dad supports them so I'm a bit biased. I remember him waxing lyrical about the '61 double winning team, telling me about John White, etc.

My first Villa match was against Spurs (2-1, God and Yorke). 

I have fond memories of them in the 90's, most notably the entertaining 94-95 season of Klinsmann, Sheringham, Barmby and Anderton.

To top it all, arguably their most famous goal was scored by Villa :D

For me, easily the most likeable of the top six. 

I do have fond memories of white hart lane to be fair. one of my first games was there when Ardiles and Villa made their debuts but we spoilt their party and Brian Little was amazing in our 4-1 win.  John Gregory played up front I think. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I grew up hating Utd during the fergie era and could never want them to do well. Liverpool, the fans do my head in and so again could never want them to do well (despite being my very first team before I knew better. City are just city. Spurs at least play young British players and develop a lot of youth

This is my take on it as well. Although I have never been a big fan of Spurs (I used to hate them along with all the others), I have a bit of respect for how they have built themselves squad and club wise over the last few years and my dislike for Spurs has dwindled as a consequence. It is easy to knock them for not winning anything, but at least they are challenging, and I imagine they are not too far from winning some silverware again.

On 26/07/2017 at 18:38, Zatman said:

I think its scary they are the top team I most respect at the moment and be happy if won title race :o

No I want the status quo.  Keep them on 2 titles.

• Like 2

It really, really upsets me seeing these guys who have, for a long time, been amongst our equals ("the top teams that never quite make it") race away from us with a massive stadium and massive international presence.

The rate at which we became nobodies while Everton, Spurs and Man City became massive powerhouses keeping up with the times is frightening.

edit - in b4 Everton need a new ground etc. I know this, but that doesn't stop them buying and selling multimillion pound stars.

Edited by islingtonclaret

4 hours ago, Rodders said:

Definitely hope Spurs do well this year, easily least dislikeable of the lot,  but they should probably at least bring in 1 or 2 players before the end. 

Spurs > Arsenal > Liverpool > <large gap> Chelsea > Man City > Man Utd in terms of "likeability" of top 6 for me.

Close between the 2 Manchester clubs - City just about pip Utd because they don't have Mourinho.  If Mourinho left Man Utd, they'd be slightly more preferable than Man City.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Spurs > Arsenal > Liverpool > <large gap> Chelsea > Man City > Man Utd in terms of "likeability" of top 6 for me.

Close between the 2 Manchester clubs - City just about pip Utd because they don't have Mourinho.  If Mourinho left Man Utd, they'd be slightly more preferable than Man City.

Mostly agree apart from I'd put Liverpool and their nutcase fans only above United.

Ironic that they hate each other so much when they're both the most detestable clubs around.

Edited by Wainy316
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Yeah thst's fairly close to my preferences too. Although a few of those teams are regularly interchangeable, depending on who I think are the most hateful at the time.

Over the last few years, the best thing about the premier league for me is that every year, several of those teams are going to be disappointed.

Liking a team and wanting them to win the league are 2 very different things to me.  I don't mind Spurs, but if you're asking would I rather United throw another title on the pile, or Spurs break their 57 year duck then I'll go with United by a huge margin.

22 minutes ago, BOF said:

Liking a team and wanting them to win the league are 2 very different things to me.  I don't mind Spurs, but if you're asking would I rather United throw another title on the pile, or Spurs break their 57 year duck then I'll go with United by a huge margin.

I have to ask why is that? (Apologies if you've explained previously.)

I can understand it if say Spurs or whoever were on 6 league titles and they'd be level with us. I can see the logic there and would agree. I didn't want Arsenal to win the FA cup last season as it meant Wenger breaking Ramsay's record.

But if it was between a club like Man Utd who have won loads over the past 20+ years and a club who hasn't then I'd always pick the less decorated club. Simple reason is that the fans would appreciate it more. 

I've seen my Man Utd mates when they won the champions league and based on their reaction, it may as well have been the charity shield. I genuinely went more ballistic when we scored against Rotherham last season.

Just now, Shropshire Lad said:

I have to ask why is that? (Apologies if you've explained previously.)

I can understand it if say Spurs or whoever were on 6 league titles and they'd be level with us. I can see the logic there and would agree. I didn't want Arsenal to win the FA cup last season as it meant Wenger breaking Ramsay's record.

But if it was between a club like Man Utd who have won loads over the past 20+ years and a club who hasn't then I'd always pick the less decorated club. Simple reason is that the fans would appreciate it more. 

I've seen my Man Utd mates when they won the champions league and based on their reaction, it may as well have been the charity shield. I genuinely went more ballistic when we scored against Rotherham last season.

It's about changing their stripes as it were i.e. making the next big leap.

At the moment from a historical standpoint Spurs are in a purple patch.  They're up with the big boys for the first time in donkeys years and fair play to them.  I'm enjoying it and they're doing it the right way for them.   But it would not take a lot for them to go back to where they belong and be back battling Everton for best of the rest.  They're in a position they're not used to and which in the footballing hierarchy is a false one.

But if they were to win a league, we would risk them becoming a regular part of that elite and we would risk their current position becoming their real position.  And thus we fall one team further away from regaining our own position when we get back up.  Spurs are punching above their weight at the moment.  I don't want that to become their weight.

The reason I don't want Spurs to be successful is purely demographic. London has too many  advantages. I know you have Liverpool and Manchester but look at other big cities like Birmingham, Sheffield, Leeds and Newcastle. These cities have great footballing traditions but are nowhere now.  We'll never be able to compete with Spurs again, not in my life time and not in many peoples lifetimes. 

11 hours ago, BOF said:

last few seasons after Fergie has shown what United fans really are, just another Liverpool. I happily prefer Spurs to win the league than them

*though hope glastonspur doesnt see this*

Â