Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

But when does right become wrong?

If everyone pronounces it Feb-U-ary, then surely that is the correct way to say it?

Absolutely not! Most people don't know particle physics. Does that make particle physicists wrong? Point being, the majority should not dictate what's right just because most people do it wrong. Dangerous way of doing things (although I appreciate that the pronunciation of February is quite low down in that list of risks :))

I think there's a difference. Speech evolves over time, and pronunciation comes from those who speak the words in question. Particle physics is a matter of right and wrong, and is far less (if at all) subjective. 

How we pronounce something today may differ from how it's pronounced somewhere else. But who's to say who is right and which is wrong? We don't speak in the same way that we did 100 years ago, so I don't think there's any reason why we should always look to conform to some kind of ideal going into the future.

I think there's a difference. Speech evolves over time, and pronunciation comes from those who speak the words in question. Particle physics is a matter of right and wrong, and is far less (if at all) subjective. 

How we pronounce something today may differ from how it's pronounced somewhere else. But who's to say who is right and which is wrong? We don't speak in the same way that we did 100 years ago, so I don't think there's any reason why we should always look to conform to some kind of ideal going into the future.

Yeah I know and my comparison was partially tongue in cheek, but regional accents at the best of times make a balls of a word already. It shouldn't change the objective 'right' way of pronouncing a word sans-accent. Most people say Feb-u-ary out of nothing other than annunciation laziness. That shouldn't be a reason to make that the right way. Take language-related laziness to the Nth degree and txtspk is where we're headed.

The word February.

Does anyone actually pronounce it Feb-roo-ary?

Or Feb-u-ary?

The correct pronunciation is the top one, but surely nobody ever says it like that?

I just said it to myself a couple of times and it comes out as 'Febree'.

I've since said it a few more times and anything just sounds so wrong that I think I shall boycott the month altogether.

Edit: More like Febreh than Febree, actually.

Edited by snowychap

Yeah I know and my comparison was partially tongue in cheek, but regional accents at the best of times make a balls of a word already. It shouldn't change the objective 'right' way of pronouncing a word sans-accent. Most people say Feb-u-ary out of nothing other than annunciation laziness. That shouldn't be a reason to make that the right way. Take language-related laziness to the Nth degree and txtspk is where we're headed.

I agree, but...

... no actually I do agree.

Unfortunately the status quo will always act like a big magnet, towards which standards will be attracted. Eventually we will all be talking like idiots according to today's standards. If Shakespeare was witness to our conversation today, he'd probably have his head in his hands wondering what had happened to his language.

The word February.

Or Feb-u-ary?

The correct pronunciation is the top one, but surely nobody ever says it like that?

I just said it to myself a couple of times and it comes out as 'Febree'.

I've since said it a few more times and anything just sounds so wrong that I think I shall boycott the month altogether.

Edit: More like Febreh than Febree, actually.

I think this is more accurate than my attempt to explain my pronunciation earlier.

In a similar way to how a lot of people would say "libree" (for "library")

Point is, the r after the b is pronounced for me.

Having an interview at 9.30 in the morning in a city over 50 miles away. Hotel it is.

Get up earlier?

I had a 9am meeting in Carlisle once and I live in Sutton! 

Having an interview at 9.30 in the morning in a city over 50 miles away. Hotel it is.

Get up earlier?

This

Presumably though if you got the job you would be moving in at aforementioned hotel as commuting to work would be out :)

surely spelling and pronounciation and just full of variables and ever changing

I take as my example the word 'night'

Probably originally pronounced more like nicht (nikt) and mis spelled by printers before there was an official spelling (as it was another 275 years before the invention of american auto correct).

and then there's yacht, original pronounced uppermiddleclasstwat but slowly over the years morphing into russiangangstaaa

• Like 1

The word February.

Or Feb-u-ary?

Feb-ruh-ary.

Â