Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

On holidays, I wouldn't mind going the same place a few times. Particularly big cities, i.e. London, New York, Paris. Those types of places you need a good few visits to soak it all in.

The 'poolside' holidays are **** shite, though. Went on a few as a kid and while the parents lazed around and got hammered, I sat on my tod and got sunburnt. Terrible things, don't inflict them on your kids.

Best holidays have a mixture of both, somewhere for the parents to wind down and with plenty of cultural spots to take the kids to and expand there minds a little.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner
  • Like 1

On the holidays thing, people who pay a lot of money to go on package holidays in nasty hotels and then turn their nose up on people who stay in hostels. 

In general, it takes more effort to find them and book them, but the hostels are not only cheaper, but they are cleaner too and location has never been a problem. 

New York wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be, it's good to go there once, to say you've been and go and see the sights and stuff, but I'd rather go back to Chicago, Toronto, Paris, Barcelona, Rome or even better, Las Vegas :D 

The 'poolside' holidays are **** shite, though. Went on a few as a kid and while the parents lazed around and got hammered, I sat on my tod and got sunburnt. Terrible things, don't inflict them on your kids.

Do you have problems making friends? :lol:

As a kid I always had an awesome time hanging out with my brothers and the new people we'd meet in the hotel. Swimming, playing pool, exploring. All good.  

Best holidays have a mixture of both, somewhere for the parents to wind down and with plenty of cultural spots to take the kids to and expand there minds a little.

In your opinion.

Frankly I really think the average person on the street prefers sunbathing on the beach to visiting museums.

Not that I disagree with you, mind, just that I don't think most people share our preferences.

In your opinion.

Frankly I really think the average person on the street prefers sunbathing on the beach to visiting museums.

Not that I disagree with you, mind, just that I don't think most people share our preferences.

You're kind of talking cross purposes there though. I don't think he'd disagree that your average Eddie Punchclock prefers sunbathing to museums. He was saying don't inflict it on your kids is all. I think it's not difficult to do a bit of both.

In your opinion.

You're kind of talking cross purposes there though. I don't think he'd disagree that your average Eddie Punchclock prefers sunbathing to museums. He was saying don't inflict it on your kids is all. I think it's not difficult to do a bit of both.

Should theme parks be considered cultural activities? (genuine question)

As for not inflicting sunburns on kids, yeah agreed.

Edited by legov

Tell you what my kids always liked - castles.

Of course, it helps to live in a country that has lots of them (proper ones, not Disney repros).

EDIT: For country, read: continent.

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

Should theme parks be considered cultural activities? (genuine question)

As for not inflicting sunburns on kids, yeah agreed.

Not culture in the sense of expanding the mind but certainly; for example; going to Disneyland would be experiencing Americana or American 'culture'. I just think a holiday should have a certain amount of activity in it. You can slob at home for free for the 2 weeks if you wanted to. I go somewhere to experience THAT somewhere and surely a kid's attention span means you'll probably enjoy your holiday all the more if they're somewhat engaged in it. Or am I also being slightly naïve in thinking that your average Eddie gives 2 shits what their kids think of the holiday so long as they're enjoying themselves. I dunno. I just imagine that if I had kids I'd want them to be having the time of their life and making memories they'll keep for the rest of their life. Not going crispy, slobbing at a communal pool in a high rise while walrus people wobble by pissed at midday. Each to their own :)
  • Like 1

Personally I think there are few things worse than the traditional European Poolside holiday, for adults or kids.

Going back to my in-laws, they go for the sun and nothing else. They stay in their hotel complex for 10 days with no concern other than for getting burnt during the day then drinking Lambrini in the evening.

Despite being a massive beach-o-phile and sun worshipper, I could imagine nothing worse.

To be fair if you do not believe in an afterlife or reincarnation then YOLO makes sense as acronyms save a lot of time. The last thing you want to do in this short time on earth is spend it saying full sentences.

#OYOL....Yoda .

Tell you what my kids always liked - castles.

Of course, it helps to live in a country that has lots of them (proper ones, not Disney repros).

EDIT: For country, read: continent.

we rented the west wing of a castle a few years ago and the kids still have it as their fave holiday

spent mental money, but had our own key to a big timber door, up some stairs to an apartment that had four poster beds, balconies looking out to sea and most awesome as far as the kids were concerned: a big old loo with a pull chain cistern! They liked the private pool and air hockey table, but the pull chain loo was a highlight.

As someone who finds hot weather uncomfortable, I disagree that "any (British) nice spots are blighted by cold weather".

I'd a million times rather be out in the Yorkshire Dales or the Lake District on a clear, crisp autumn day, than the Caribbean or the Indian Ocean (beautiful as they undoubtedly are).

Autumn is ok if there was a Summer first.

A proper Summer in the UK is a wonderful thing, but they've become the exception rather than the rule.

Told the girlfriend -  If Summer fails this year, I'm running south til hitting the coast, then I'll start swimming.

Â