Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

whilst the Irish get the sentimentality of modern americans, the hard undeniable fact of the matter is that America was discovered by Welsh Prince Madoc in 1170

Aber-Kerrik.jpg

If he found Alabama. Where the **** was he sailling from?

Elvis Presley's relatives were on that boat y'know! (that's actually true and probs deserves to be in trivia thread).

Ah yes, that famous passenger list from The Mayflower:

Ezekiel Presley

Bartholemew Diddley

Humphrey Big Bopper

William Dion and the Belmonts

I have my doubts.

• Like 1

No it actually is verified. The episode of WDYTYA that Ashley Judd is in confirms that his ancestors were on that ship (she finds out hers were too). Obviously 'Presley' isn't the name back then. It becomes that later in America.

Prince Madoc invented rock n roll in 1171 when he realised his plan of leaving a breadcrumb trail to get back home had been fatally flawed

there is no plaque for this, but Tom Jones knew him and says its true

This is where my history lets me down and I don't want to allow Hollywood to rewrite history (see Argo, Gangs of New York) but is it true like in the scene in GONY that Irish were being taken from the boat, given American citizenship and immediately drafted into the union ranks and sent to fight in the war? That's fairly nasty if true. I only ask because I know a lot of that film is suprisingly close to real events and that (the Irish involuntary drafting) seems the kind of historically verifiable thing that they probably wouldn't have tinkered with in the making of the film.

It's basically true.

It also explains most political alignments in the former Union states for about 100-125 years after...

I think the Americans like the idea of plucky little republican Ireland standing up to the evil monarchy of the British, just like they did.

Fair enough, there's much truth in it. But I'm not sure they grasp some of the more subtle and paradoxical elements of that story.

It's the "Classics Illustrated" approach to history.

One major irony being that in 1770s Ireland, the Protestant north was fairly close to joining the colonies in rebellion against the Crown (to be fair, so was much of the South East of England, albeit with a little less virulence) while Irish Catholics were generally especially loyal to the Crown.

The fact that Switzerland have a ridiculously easy group for the world cup, for the 2nd time running. In

2010 qualifiers they had

Greece, Latvia, Luxembourg, Israel, Moldova.

For 2014 they have got Norway, Slovenia, Albania, Cyprus.

There were stronger European teams then Switzerland at the last world cup sat at home watching and now there will be stronger European teams at the 2014 world cup sat at home watching.

Switzerland are not one of the top 13 euro sides, but they will be in brazil next year. Makes me very angry. Anyone agree?

no Switzerland qualified for 2004, 06 and 2010 tournaments and didnt even concede a goal in 2006 and are no mickey mouse team. they were 3rd seeds for this draw behind Norway and Slovenia.

luck of the draw

Yeah I know its luck of the draw, and they have been lucky twice.

they got the weakest country from pot 1 (norway) and the weakest country from pot 2 (slovenia) and it was the same story in 2010. the weakest from pots 1 and 2.

they are not mickey mouse as you put it, but they are an average side. Ukkraine are better then they are but because of luck of the draw ukraine probably won't be there. makes me angry

Ukraine were 3rd seeds as well and not really that much better than Switzerland. Players like Lichtsteiner, Inler, Shaqiri, Xhaka are a good team and jsut because they have got alleged "easy" groups doesnt mean its unfair. Ukraine drew with Moldova and if drawing with teams like that its your own fault. Bosnia and Belgium were also 3rd seeds and winning their group.

Remember Switzerland is only European team to beat Spain since 2007

nobody deserves an easy group, thats not how football works. you get who you play and if you win the group you deserve to be there irrelevant if you have to beat Spain or San Marino

• Like 1

Sepp Blatter has rigged it ;)

i know your joking but some people do think this is true which is nonsense. As surely he would have put big money draws France and Spain separate groups

Â