Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

Do these people really think  those conveyor things are auto loading  or is there some rule that any toast unclaimed after 2.74 seconds becomes public property 

Could easily parlay that scenario into a screenplay for the next Mad Max movie.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

A grille just does one side, a toaster can do one side or both.

Toaster is the boss in this scenario.

Just like when a vegan is honour bound to tell everyone they are a vegan, I am now duty bound to tell you I have a Dualit toaster.

It is **** immense. I thought toasters were toasters were toasters until I got this thing. I mean, it really needs a different title, it’s a kitchen toasting hub and toasted products satisfaction engineer.

toaster I bought for work , has a grill thingy so you can make melted toasties in it ... its not impressive as it sounds though , as you either get golden brown toast and half melted cheese or burnt toast and perfectly melted cheese 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

burnt toast and perfectly melted cheese 

Sounds perfect, I like burnt toast. Anaemic toast is what should be banned

As for crumpets, the only correct way to toast them is open coal fire and a toasting fork but sadly, I haven't had access to one of those for decades

A grill gives you control and flexibility that a toaster doesn't. With a crumpet you want to toast the sides unevenly - the top you want golden, the bottom basically just needs to be barely cooked, otherwise it overcooks and gets that burnt bitterness and hard crispyness that ruins the experience of eating them.

Also as everyone knows toasters either barely toast at all or burn the bread, meaning the one thing it does, it does badly. Meanwhile a grill let's you do things to exactly your requirements, and you can do more then just burn or warm up bread.

At my first job, this lack of flexibility was exposed. In my first day I was told not to use the toaster as a former employee had used it to cook fish fingers and now it made everything you put in it smell of rancid fish.

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

As for crumpets, the only correct way to toast them is open coal fire and a toasting fork but sadly, I haven't had access to one of those for decades since Thatcher shut all the coal mines 

fixed that for you :)  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

A grill gives you control and flexibility that a toaster doesn't. With a crumpet you want to toast the sides unevenly - the top you want golden, the bottom basically just needs to be barely cooked, otherwise it overcooks and gets that burnt bitterness and hard crispyness that ruins the experience of eating them.

Okay, that has convinced me.  I'm popping into town this evening, I will be picking up some Warburton's crumpets as per @Stevo985 (unless somebody else has a conflicting opinion), giving this a pop and will report back my findings.

I will say, on toasters, I have never had any problem getting consistently correct toast from mine, at least.  It's always 3.5 on the dial for optimum results, regardless of the make/model of toaster... which I guess does beg the question why even have a dial in the first place?

8 minutes ago, Chindie said:

a former employee had used it to cook fish fingers

Yes, these are the actions of someone who needs to be hung, drawn and quartered for sure.

12 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I was told not to use the toaster as a former employee had used it to cook fish fingers and now it made everything you put in it smell of rancid fish.

Just be thankful they didn't try to use the toaster to warm their gravy too.

Two crumpets into toaster, whack it up to the highest setting then wait. When they pop, they’ll be perfectly crispy on top and around the edges. Not burnt black, mind, but crunchy enough that you have to break the lid with your knife before buttering. Then apply enough butter that it soaks through and forms a small lake on your plate. Use that for dipping. 

The only time a grill is a better option is when you want to slice some cheddar on. Toast the bottom then flip and add cheese with Worcester sauce. 

Lovely 🤌

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You all need to buy some better **** toasters

My assumption is the underlying factors here are that, if one suddenly found themselves with "Dual-It" money to throw about, the parties concerned would all rather spend it elsewhere, as is absolutely their wont/right (e.g. bicks on music, Chindie on Gundam models and Designer1 on whatever nefarious sexual apparatus he's amusing himself with this month said without judgement).

Edited by GarethRDR
  • Like 1

People be buying toasters for £19.99 from Curry’s and thinking toasters are shit.

It’s like just buying the third Oasis album and drawing the conclusion that all music is moronic derivative whiny manc shite.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

For the record my toaster has a bagel function.

I normally put crumpets down for 2 x regular toast sessions* and then down again on the top side only using the bagel function for about half a cycle #

* being wider you would think they would toast quicker than bread, but they take much longer to toast.

# and hope I don't get distracted then burn the top.  Grrrrrrr

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Danwichmann said:

Why? It never happened to me. 

On a four slice toaster I imagine more heat goes through the empty slot into the third slot, always ends up with one overdone crumpet.

15 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

People be buying toasters for £19.99 from Curry’s and thinking toasters are shit.

It’s like just buying the third Oasis album and drawing the conclusion that all music is moronic derivative whiny manc shite.

Nothing wrong with Be Here Now (especially when compared to what they churned out afterwards :lol:)

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

With a crumpet you want to toast the sides unevenly - the top you want golden, the bottom basically just needs to be barely cooked, otherwise it overcooks and gets that burnt bitterness and hard crispyness that ruins the experience of eating them.

Not for me. I want both sides toasted to crispiness (just short of being burnt). Hence, the toaster is perfect. 

Edited by mjmooney

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I treated myself to some m&s sourdough crumpets the other week. Thought they would be lovely. 
They weren’t. They were awful. Warburtons can’t be beaten

I wonder if they're actually made at the same place as the Morrisons sourdough ones? Because I had the same experience. Horrible.

Â