Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Shops and businesses that only have a facebook or other social media page but not a proper website.

You just cant convey the same level of information without a proper website in my opinion.  And I don't have any non VT social media accounts as I am sure many others don't.

slightly unfair, depends on the size of the shop and what the business is, for example i booked a photographer via instagram this week, she actually has a website because her husband works in IT but i didnt visit it

if i wanted to start my dream job as a mobile nail polisher i havent got the skills to create a website or the ability to draw peoples attention to it, i have got the skills to create a facebook page stick 100 photos on it and get my 500 friends to share it

i dont know where you draw the line, IMO a restaurant should have a website but a chip shop social media page is good enough

1 hour ago, Anthony said:

"Check us out on Insta!"

1.  It's Instagram.
  2.  No.

"Smash that like button"

I like my keyboard.

Got tradesmen coming round quoting to have the driveway done. Geezer pulls up in his new BMW giving it the sales speal. Another geezer in his old transit van, a little cheaper. Who do you go for?

Hate the salesman stuff to be honest, just no need these days. Not that I'm bothered to much, but³ sales guy also wanted a 20% deposit, other guy said pay me when done 

7 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Got tradesmen coming round quoting to have the driveway done. Geezer pulls up in his new BMW giving it the sales speal. Another geezer in his old transit van, a little cheaper. Who do you go for?

Hate the salesman stuff to be honest, just no need these days. Not that I'm bothered to much, but³ sales guy also wanted a 20% deposit, other guy said pay me when done 

I'd go for the "pay me when done" bloke every time.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

My keyboard doesn't have a like button.

It's beside the Any key.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Definitely the van guy. 

I'd be interested in what they're quoting.  I'm looking to get my drive done soon.  I've not measured it yet but it's about 4 cars worth.  Just to get it re-tarmac'd with paving edging. 

Oak Leaf seem to do 90% of drives round here. I've no idea if this is a £2k or £20k kind of project though. 

2 hours ago, bickster said:

See cash only

Tangential question for you @bickster. That pub in Liverpool centre that's cash only, the Beehive I think? Is there a story behind that? I ask as you are my fount of knowledge for all things Liverpool and going out...

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

slightly unfair, depends on the size of the shop and what the business is, for example i booked a photographer via instagram this week, she actually has a website because her husband works in IT but i didnt visit it

if i wanted to start my dream job as a mobile nail polisher i havent got the skills to create a website or the ability to draw peoples attention to it, i have got the skills to create a facebook page stick 100 photos on it and get my 500 friends to share it

i dont know where you draw the line, IMO a restaurant should have a website but a chip shop social media page is good enough

You don't need any IT skills. A basic squarespace site is about £10 per month (and deductible).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Tangential question for you @bickster. That pub in Liverpool centre that's cash only, the Beehive I think? Is there a story behind that? I ask as you are my fount of knowledge for all things Liverpool and going out...

This isn't the "Ask Bickster anything about Liverpool" thread.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Anthony said:

There are two Beehive Pubs in the city centre. There's also two pubs called The Grapes (There actually used to be more)

I suspect the Beehive you are talking about is the one on Mount Pleasant as the one in the middle of the pedestrianised area would never survive as card only

If it is that one, I suspect it's just because it is an old school boozer run by an old school landlord who doesn't trust this new fangled technology. I don't think its a money laundering operation tbh. It's one of those pubs that seems to be full of regulars and no-one else

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, limpid said:

This isn't the "Ask Bickster anything about Liverpool" thread.

*drafts message to Bicks to ask him to change the thread title*

27 minutes ago, bickster said:

There are two Beehive Pubs in the city centre. There's also two pubs called The Grapes (There actually used to be more)

I suspect the Beehive you are talking about is the one on Mount Pleasant as the one in the middle of the pedestrianised area would never survive as card only

If it is that one, I suspect it's just because it is an old school boozer run by an old school landlord who doesn't trust this new fangled technology. I don't think its a money laundering operation tbh. It's one of those pubs that seems to be full of regulars and no-one else

Whilst working in Liverpool we used to hotel above some shops on mount pleasant opposite a car park , short walk round to a pub called Coopers where you could buy any amount of toiletries from the stream of local lads with holdalls ( borrowed from boots I think ) , fond memories up there ,great fun 

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Definitely the van guy. 

I'd be interested in what they're quoting.  I'm looking to get my drive done soon.  I've not measured it yet but it's about 4 cars worth.  Just to get it re-tarmac'd with paving edging. 

Oak Leaf seem to do 90% of drives round here. I've no idea if this is a £2k or £20k kind of project though. 

Well my drive is just about 4 cars 80 square metres and its around 8k. Was quoted 5.5k before lockdown. Was going to have  Tarmac myself, but I don't like how it ages, from black to grey in like less than 12 months, so decided on granite style block paving.

• Thanks 1

Â