Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

So, the Graham Norton show. 

Michael B. Jordan says "misCHEEVious". 

Dawn French subtly corrects him by pronouncing it correctly a couple of times. 

Then lets herself down by saying "restauraNteur". 

They both have to die. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

They both have to die. 

What’s more surprising, to me anyway, is that you were watching the Graham Norton show.

I mean, for it’s type, it’s very good I guess. I don’t watch it, but having seen bits of it before I can see why it’s successful. 

But I wasn’t expecting your admittedly legitimate complaint to have been borne out of you watching the show in the first place.

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

We've all been waiting for some combined ladyboy / emergency shit scenario tale from your hols!

Saving that up for a rainy day. 

I don't want to reveal all my top anecdotes in one go! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 28/11/2018 at 00:57, GarethRDR said:

It's been subverted by the dastardly zigzag agenda.

Edit: Alt-Right Angle agenda.  There was the punchline.  Damn it, must do better.  mad0018.gif

Ghey 

6 hours ago, mjmooney said:

They both have to die. 

I think I’d say both those words like you’ve typed them. Hand me the revolver, get me a brandy and I’ll find my own way to the drawing room. 

9 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

What’s more surprising, to me anyway, is that you were watching the Graham Norton show.

I mean, for it’s type, it’s very good I guess. I don’t watch it, but having seen bits of it before I can see why it’s successful. 

But I wasn’t expecting your admittedly legitimate complaint to have been borne out of you watching the show in the first place.

It's not exactly on my "must see" list, but it usually ends up being left on after the news on a Friday night. I think Norton's OK, but how long I watch kind of depends on which 'celebs' (most of whom I've usually mot heard of, natch) are on. I usually bale before the end. 

4 hours ago, blandy said:

I think I’d say both those words like you’ve typed them. Hand me the revolver, get me a brandy and I’ll find my own way to the drawing room. 

Sorry, but those two pronunciations are up there with the now almost universal inability to pronounce the word 'the' correctly on my hate list. 

It's MISS-ch-vuss. 

Restaurateur (NO 'n') 

'the' when before a word beginning with a vowel is 'thee', not 'thuh' (which is for words beginning with a consonant). 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Sorry, but those two pronunciations are up there with the now almost universal inability to pronounce the word 'the' correctly on my hate list. 

It's MISS-ch-vuss. 

Restaurateur (NO 'n') 

'the' when before a word beginning with a vowel is 'thee', not 'thuh' (which is for words beginning with a consonant). 

I agree with you on pronunciation of some words ... I’m slightly worried I fell asleep and became Northern overnight 

I’d best go check if my bath now has coal in it

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I agree with you on pronunciation of some words ... I’m slightly worried I fell asleep and became Northern overnight 

I’d best go check if my bath now has coal in it

I have no problem with local accents. The long 'a'/short 'a' variants are both OK. My first two examples are just plain wrong. The 'the' business isn't 'wrong' as such, it's just... awkward. 

34 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

It's MISS-ch-vuss. 

Restaurateur (NO 'n') 

If there was an interested “like” reaction I would have used that. 

I didn’t know that, but now that you’ve pointed it out, by and large I do pronounce “the” correctly but I’ve never picked up on why I do.

However if someone said “If you wanted to see plenty of goals Villa Park was the (thee) place to be on Wednesday night.” to me that works, would that annoy you?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

If there was an interested “like” reaction I would have used that. 

I didn’t know that, but now that you’ve pointed it out, by and large I do pronounce “the” correctly but I’ve never picked up on why I do.

However if someone said “If you wanted to see plenty of goals Villa Park was the (thee) place to be on Wednesday night.” to me that works, would that annoy you?

No, because that's just deliberate emphasis. 

If they used that pronunciation in every case - "Thee fullbacks were all over thee pitch on thee night" - that would be ridiculous. But then nobody would ever do that. 

It's the ubiquity of the short 'thuh', used before a vowel that really grates on my nerves. The natural way of saying a phrase like "the centrebacks were good in the air" would be something like: "thuh centrebacks were good in theeyair". But time and again I hear people saying "thuh centrebacks were good in thuh air" - with a very clumsy sounding glottal stop between 'the' and 'air'. It's becoming so universal that it probably qualifies as a genuine shift in the language, but it really sounds wrong to my ears.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Mike its very enlightening. I thought I am sure I say thuh for everything but no. Thee elephant. 

Exactly. "the elephant" is the example I usually use. "theeyelephant" flows naturally off the tongue. "thuh elephant" doesn't. But people are doing it all the time now. "thuh ozone layer" rather than "theeyozone layer", and so on. 

Edited by mjmooney

Any clearing in the woods that posts a pic of their xmas tree/decorations on Facebook with the caption :

"It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas !"

🤬

Edited by mottaloo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, mjmooney said:

It's MISS-ch-vuss. 

Restaurateur (NO 'n') 

all anyone needs to pronounce restaurateur correctly (i’m sure i’ve posted about it before, possibly even in this thread) is to remember it’s a French word. The verb is ‘restaurer’, ‘-ant’ and ‘-ateur’ are suffixes.

It would be similar to saying that someone who paints is a ‘paintinger’.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â