Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

37 degrees in Melbourne tomorrow and I'm at uni from 10-5. Add to this I've been trying to sleep for over three and a half hours now. I'm usually asleep within minutes.

I have to be up in three hours anyway so will likely spend the day tired and sweating whilst trying to concentrate and absorb my uni work. At least I like the course that I'm in.

1 minute ago, A'Villan said:

37 degrees in Melbourne tomorrow and I'm at uni from 10-5. Add to this I've been trying to sleep for over three and a half hours now. I'm usually asleep within minutes.

I have to be up in three hours anyway so will likely spend the day tired and sweating whilst trying to concentrate and absorb my uni work. At least I like the course that I'm in.

You need to lay off that meth . 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That's what I call Dad economics. 

Not dads in general. MY dad.

He was a sucker for doing that. Always bought the absolute cheapest version of whatever he was buying. Fair enough we weren't exactly flush but still.

Prime example was the house phone. He'd always buy the cheapest one in Argos for like 10 quid. But they'd only last about 6 months and then break and he'd have to buy a new one.
I told him again and again if he just spent 30 quid in the first place he'd save overall but he wouldn't have it :D 

This is me all over. 

11 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

This is me all over. 

I used to be the same, probably as a result of being raised by a tight arse :D
I'd never spend any money on anything, unless it was something when I had no choice. 

I've gradually come away from it though. A lot of things it's worth paying a bit extra for quality. 

I realise that's a lot easier said than done depending on individual circumstances though.

21 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Years ago, working at the university, they decided to change their supplier of whiteboards to save money. The NOBO ones were pricey, but high quality (I actually bought one for our kitchen over 30 years ago, have used it daily, and it still wipes clean). The cheaper ones they switched to lasted about a year before the surface wore off and they had to be replaced. I reckon they ended up paying ten times as much for the 'cheap' ones. I suggested at the time that it was a false economy, but they didn't want to know. It was all about the 'savings' this quarter. Utterly stupid. 

Its the way of the world. It's the same philosophy with road repairs, cheapest quote wins the job... cheapest quote needs repairing again in a few months, the good job lasts for years

I'm beginning to wonder about my favourite shirt. It's about 14 years old and it is no where near as warm as it used to be. I refuse to give it up until I can find a replacement I feel just as comfortable with that also looks exactly the same. I've had several near misses, but none of them have felt right, too itchy, too snug, too ill fitting etc. 

I keep burning toast because I haven;t gotten round to buying a toaster yet as the one I did buy packed up straight away, and sheer inertia and cheapness has had me using the grill. Fire alarm has gone off 4/5 times in the past month. Think I may have to break the bank and spend £15 quid this xmas :D

Edited by Rodders

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I used to be the same, probably as a result of being raised by a tight arse :D
I'd never spend any money on anything, unless it was something when I had no choice. 

I've gradually come away from it though. A lot of things it's worth paying a bit extra for quality. 

I realise that's a lot easier said than done depending on individual circumstances though.

You should have seen our lawn mower. It was all tapped together and bits were falling off it. I just used to tape whatever had fell off back on. It was that bad it would always cut out, making the job harder and longer, but I wouldnt budge. It ended up burning itself out the other week whilst I was doing the last cut of the year. Threw it away now. I’ll show you my bed which is ridiculous, but it still does the job. My missus goes spare at me. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 1

Basically all that under the bed is holding it up and keeping it together. The actual frame is cracked in several places. I’ve even had bits fall off, and I’ve just threw it away, so it’s not actually a full frame. The wooden slats are all loose because there is not much to fix them back into. It does the job though, and until it doesn’t, I won’t buy a new bed.

C7DE5013-5BC4-418D-AB9B-182CD45CE6C2.jpeg

• Like 1

Here is another example of my tightness. Missus is going spare because she only has one knife left. The others have broke over the years, but one remains, so until that brakes, we won’t have a new knife block. Why do people need all these knifes anyway? She wants a new knife block  for Xmas, but that’s not exciting enough for me to buy her. 

141D5808-CE52-4D9D-84AD-7992ABE8E428.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

She wants a new knife block  for Xmas, but that’s not exciting enough for me to buy her. 

see i kind of disagree, went knife shopping recently and you cans spend silly money but i ended up with these for £35 with the magnetic board and they threw in another other knife as some deal

image.png.275c2ab8e1d0dccfc2fe2691650fcbe6.png

i love them, sharp as ****, would say it depends how much you like cooking

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

see i kind of disagree, went knife shopping recently and you cans spend silly money but i ended up with these for £35 with the magnetic board and they threw in another other knife as some deal

image.png.275c2ab8e1d0dccfc2fe2691650fcbe6.png

i love them, sharp as ****, would say it depends how much you like cooking

Can’t cook won’t cook. Good deal, but a bit out of my price range .

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Here is another example of my tightness. Missus is going spare because she only has one knife left. The others have broke over the years, but one remains, so until that brakes, we won’t have a new knife block. Why do people need all these knifes anyway? She wants a new knife block  for Xmas, but that’s not exciting enough for me to buy her. 

141D5808-CE52-4D9D-84AD-7992ABE8E428.jpeg

You do realise she'll just break that knife... possibly whilst plunging it through the pocket with your wallet in

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

That's what I call Dad economics. 

Not dads in general. MY dad.

He was a sucker for doing that. Always bought the absolute cheapest version of whatever he was buying. Fair enough we weren't exactly flush but still.

Prime example was the house phone. He'd always buy the cheapest one in Argos for like 10 quid. But they'd only last about 6 months and then break and he'd have to buy a new one.
I told him again and again if he just spent 30 quid in the first place he'd save overall but he wouldn't have it :D 

Edit: and yes you're absolutely right I imagine about the whiteboards. The annoying thing is they probably claimed the saving when they had to replace them too. The more you buy the more you save!

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

This is me all over. 

My Dad too. To the point of embarrassment for me. He will buy 6 push bikes off some trading post for $20-50 each in the hope that one works, they rarely do. He does splurge on motorbikes though, he's owned a few of the original Ducati's. 

Thankfully life has balance and my mother is the exact opposite, believes you get what you pay for and in quality over quantity. I sleep on a $2000 International Chiropractic Association bed thanks to her. I also learnt that sometimes it's economical to make a bigger spend as therefore you receive a better service.

The fact that some reality show couple's split up has made the news is really yanking my chain ! Dani Dyer and her himbo other half from love island, apparently.

Who the feck gives these morons publicity ?!? Other morons, I guess 😡

• Thanks 1

Â