Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

1 hour ago, BOF said:

It's iconic in much the same way as Joseph "John" Merrick's face.

Kudos for using his proper name. Too many people don't. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Shropshire Lad said:

Do you find that people getting the elephant man’s real name wrong is a regular annoyance for you? :D

It is a daily struggle not to lose my shit over it. 

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'm not wrong though am I, it just screams wrong

A very odd look. Why would one make a offsetting design on something that is not suppose to have it?

49 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

The missus has Made in Chelsea on and every other word they say is 'literally'.  Used incorrectly every single time.

What, literally every other word? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 01/12/2018 at 05:34, blandy said:

I think I’d say both those words like you’ve typed them. Hand me the revolver, get me a brandy and I’ll find my own way to the drawing room. 

It could be worse...you could say 'so' at the start of a sentence...or even worserer, actually type it!! 

🤦‍♂️

13 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Don't get me started on 'rafts', 'iconic' and 'yeah, no'. 

11 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Oh, and 'honing in' instead of 'homing in', 'heart rendering' instead of 'heart rending', and 'free reign' instead of 'free rein'. 

I seem to remember a few of these from a long since deleted thread about words and phrases.

I think I began that one with a complaint about 'decimation'.

• Like 1

Just now, snowychap said:

I seem to remember a few of these from a long since deleted thread about words and phrases.

Yep, that's another one. 

• Like 1

“Really??” is one that I find grating.

Difficult for me to articulate why I dislike it as people are using it in pretty much the same way as they always have done.

But I frequently hear it said in a manner like Chandler Bing would say it. As if it was some placeholder word because they couldn’t form a better reply.

Maybe it’s only to my ears that it’s annoying.

11 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

“Really??” is one that I find grating.

Difficult for me to articulate why I dislike it as people are using it in pretty much the same way as they always have done.

But I frequently hear it said in a manner like Chandler Bing would say it. As if it was some placeholder word because they couldn’t form a better reply.

Maybe it’s only to my ears that it’s annoying.

giphy.gif&f=1

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, snowychap said:

This kind of decimates any argument you have for complaining about people's use of the word: 😏

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/the-original-definition-of-decimate

Regarding the Incorrect Use of 'Decimate'

The word decimate is what we might delicately refer to as a problem word. It seems to invite spleen, at least on the part of a small but committed group of linguistic enthusiasts who feel that it is 

The word decimate is what we might delicately refer to as a problem word. It seems to invite spleen, at least on the part of a small but committed group of linguistic enthusiasts who feel that it is often misused. Here is a sample of comments regarding decimate that have been left by our dictionary’s users.

•  
  •  
  •  

As it turns out, decimate is hardly the only word in English that once had a precise single meaning dealing with Roman history; it just is the only one that people like to complain about. For those who truly believe that words which started out in English having a single meaning that pertains to ancient Rome should remain that way forever, the following list of such will come in handy:

Century: “a subdivision of the Roman legion.” 
Forum: “the marketplace or public place of an ancient Roman city forming the center of judicial and public business.” 
Tribune: “a Roman official under the monarchy and the republic with the function of protecting the plebeian citizen from arbitrary action by the patrician magistrates.” 
Missiles: “Gifts thrown to the crowds by Roman emperors.” 
Actor: “In Roman law, one that conducts a legal action.” 
Legion: “the principal unit of the Roman army comprising 3000 to 6000 foot soldiers with cavalry.”

Hope that helps.

Â