Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

3 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

How long you been living up Liverpool ? My cousin has lived in Edinburgh for about 5 years now, and she's started to get a Scottish twang. 

34 years

6 hours ago, bickster said:

34 years

So you were up there in the 80s. I've heard the city was in the gutter during the 80s, and was in a real bad way. Obviously it's improved, but was it that bad up there during the 80s? It seems to be doing alright now, a bit like how Birmingham has changed its image. 

3 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

So you were up there in the 80s. I've heard the city was in the gutter during the 80s, and was in a real bad way. Obviously it's improved, but was it that bad up there during the 80s? It seems to be doing alright now, a bit like how Birmingham has changed its image. 

In my lifetime, all the BIG cities in the north and midlands - Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle - have improved massively since the doldrums of the 70s and 80s. At the same time, their satellite towns - your Rochdales, Wolverhamptons, Bradfords - have correspondingly declined. 

• Like 1

Just now, mjmooney said:

In my lifetime, all the BIG cities in the north and midlands - Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle - have improved massively since the doldrums of the 70s and 80s. At the same time, their satellite towns - your Rochdales, Wolverhamptons, Bradfords - have correspondingly declined. 

Yes it does seem like that, although I was only a wee nipper in the 80s. Was very surprised what a good city Leeds was when I went up, and Manchester has improved a lot. Birmingham is a really good city now. 

Just now, lapal_fan said:

I believe the fact @bickster turned up to Liverpool in the 80s and that Liverpool took a sharp downturn in fortunes in the 80s is indicative of just how much of a disaster Bicks is to his local environment.  

What do you expect with someone who doesn't believe in Santa. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Interestingly, I think a lot of the power cities have (as you pointed out) attained over those years are slowly reversing.  Real Estate in cities now is astronomical (per sqft), so a lot of companies are moving back out to towns, or those business parks you find near motorways etc. 

I worked for CBRE for nearly 4 years until last year, and it was interesting how many big companies in London for example were heading out of the city.  If it were my business, I'd be doing the same - you can get an office in a town for about 25% of the price as the same office, with worse amenities in a city. 

• Like 1

Stafford 8 miles up from me, where @Seat68 lives, is one of those towns that's benefiting. The M6 runs through it, and you have Birmingham one way, and Manchester just an hour up the road. It's becoming a big place now with a lot of development and business coming to the town. A lot of people are settling there. 

• Like 1

The cleaner at work moaning that we're all getting the kitchen dirty minutes after she's cleaned it.

We're not going to not use the kitchen in the middle of the day in the office just because you've cleaned it you stupid bint. That's literally what it's there for.

How about you clean it at a sensible **** time rather than break time on a Friday?! dickhead.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The cleaner at work moaning that we're all getting the kitchen dirty minutes after she's cleaned it.

We're not going to not use the kitchen in the middle of the day in the office just because you've cleaned it you stupid bint. That's literally what it's there for.

How about you clean it at a sensible **** time rather than break time on a Friday?! dickhead.

That kind of thing annoys me, as does the lady who fills the vending machines doing it at break or lunch time and taking ages so I can't get myself an extra snack.

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I agree with the first part, but not the second. I think they have improved less fast, but with some exceptions most places in the North and midlands have got better than they were in the 80s, but at vastly different rates.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, blandy said:

I agree with the first part, but not the second. I think they have improved less fast, but with some exceptions most places in the North and midlands have got better than they were in the 80s, but at vastly different rates.

yep they fight for the scraps and hence grow at a slower rate (less fast?!) and i think do it quieter (fewer big flagship projects) but they are still improving, wolverhampton for example is seeing some investment now, the civic centre, markets and mander centre all having works done

There are far more clean and shiny buildings these days

last 20 years of curtain walling and now better lighting has changed everything, the glow off an LED lit part of a city just makes the whole place feel cleaner and nicer

9 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Interestingly, I think a lot of the power cities have (as you pointed out) attained over those years are slowly reversing.  Real Estate in cities now is astronomical (per sqft), so a lot of companies are moving back out to towns, or those business parks you find near motorways etc. 

I worked for CBRE for nearly 4 years until last year, and it was interesting how many big companies in London for example were heading out of the city.  If it were my business, I'd be doing the same - you can get an office in a town for about 25% of the price as the same office, with worse amenities in a city. 

Birmingham city centre is amazing for bars, restaurants and pubs. 

Retail, however, is struggling. Independent shops can't afford city centre rents and even the big players are struggling and asking for rent reductions. The fact Rackhams is closing down in Brum is a massive loss. That is an iconic store. 

Were you at CBRE in Temple Row?

Whoever gave me five OLD pound coins in change. Can only have been the bar staff in the Brudenell on Monday. 

Edited by mjmooney

1 hour ago, bickster said:

From the other night... people who make me hold my hand out for money then count the fare into my hand coin at a time. Words removed!

Pff pound coins.

When you have dollar bills you can be like,

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â