Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I mean, maybe not.

But what you've written is so far, in literally every single way, from my experiences in small towns in "southern" Ireland that yeah my instinct was that it was bollocks.

Well it's not. Dont see why you'd think I'd lie. 

26 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

I get that....until I said to an American mate of mine that their accents (unless southern or harsh NY) seem similar to Canadians.....he seemed incredulous when hearing that ! 

There was a rather attractive (think young Debbie Harry) woman on my MSc course, whose good books I instantly got into by asking: "So what part of Canada are you from?" as soon as she spoke. She said that 99% of Brits assumed she was American. 

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

Well it's not. Dont see why you'd think I'd lie. 

I don't think you're lying (because that implies intention to deceive), but I do think you were probably unfamiliar with the songs that were being sung.  I don't think I could name enough "pro IRA" songs to fill an entire sing-song and I've lived here all my life.  I suspect you heard regular ballads and interpreted them as being somehow malicious in their intent.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Anyone experienced anything like fatigue before?

I'm cycling everyday, playing football 4 times a week. Feeling really good in terms of fitness (not even blowing after 2 hours of running full pelt at footie) but when I get on my bike, my legs and arms are like 'no no no'. Feel like I've lost a yard of pace I had only last week at football. Even when I've just woken up and get on my bike to cycle to work, my legs already feel like I've ridden 50 miles.

With that level of exercise, how many calories should I be eating? I'm eating anywhere between 1500-2000, and meat every other day.

Do I need more protein? It's **** annoying because I'm in the best shape of my life and my legs are giving up on me.

Anyone? Fitness guys? @Stevo985 @JB

Just to echo what others have pretty much said, my best guess would be that you’re just knackered! I’ve had similar struggles in the past with gym/rugby and it’s been when I haven’t been getting enough sleep. Your calories are also pretty low for your activity levels so it wouldn’t be surprising if you were feeling burned out. 

Maybe try taking 4ish weeks to recuperate a bit. Get lots of rest and if you can be bothered calorie counting, then eat/drink to at  least maintenance levels during this time. Maybe even take a total diet break. See how it goes.

If you carry on cycling, maybe lower the intensity a bit and take it easy.

Good luck!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BOF said:

I don't think you're lying (because that implies intention to deceive), but I do think you were probably unfamiliar with the songs that were being sung.  I don't think I could name enough "pro IRA" songs to fill an entire sing-song and I've lived here all my life.  I suspect you heard regular ballads and interpreted them as being somehow malicious in their intent.

I've also never been to a pub or party in Ireland where they've played the national anthem at the end of the night and everybody stood up.

I've also never really seen any English people suffering abuse just because someone heard them talking in an English accent. Certainly not enough to believe that one man could be targeted by a "fair bit of abuse" in numerous places.

But hey, maybe it was just a weird town.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I mean, maybe not.

But what you've written is so far, in literally every single way, from my experiences in small towns in "southern" Ireland that yeah my instinct was that it was bollocks.

Asking for gstq and refusing to stand for the anthem of the country i was in would only show me up to be a bell end and not simply that I had an English accent warranting any abuse coming my way.

11 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

There was a rather attractive (think young Debbie Harry) woman on my MSc course, whose good books I instantly got into by asking: "So what part of Canada are you from?" as soon as she spoke. She said that 99% of Brits assumed she was American. 

So....with that sort of credit in the bank, did you take advantage of said good books ?

1 minute ago, mottaloo said:

Asking for gstq and refusing to stand for the anthem of the country i was in would only show me up to be a bell end and not simply that I had an English accent warranting any abuse coming my way.

Yeah i was going to say similar.

If I WAS at an Irish party (or a French, or spanish or german or whatever) and they played the national anthem at the end of the night and everyone stood up, then I'd probably just stand up to be honest. 
I certainly wouldn't refuse to stand up and then request God Save the Queen. That's just being a dick.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BOF said:

You're probably right with the songs. You are always going to get a sympathetic vote of support for a organisation that was fighting for the independence of their country. I saw it how I saw it, and their is no agenda from me here. 

• Like 1

So, on the theme again of there being idiots in every country and one of the ways they manage to signal their idiocy is by having a go at basic racism without really having put in any decent prep..

I’ve personally experienced people being ‘less than friendly’ in Ireland. Somewhere around Fethard on the south coast. They were all a bit up in my face for absolutely no reason other than they’d thought I was English. Once they worked out I wasn’t English, then they were fine. I was initially relieved to have taken the heat out of the situation. Then really saddened with myself for being happy to have found such a stupid way out of a situation as telling people I wasn’t English. So then I started getting arsey with the local bigots to try and retrieve some self esteem, and then we all had to leave. Just such a stupid waste of time and effort and opportunity. Pricks. Pricks everywhere.

I’ve also been on the receiving end of abuse in the crowd at a Villa game, supposedly surrounded by ‘my own’ and it wasn’t pleasant. The problem is, I’ve been in a Villa crowd maybe a hundred times or more, the one that’s memorable is the one where someone wanted to smash my head in because of my accent.

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I've also never been to a pub or party in Ireland where they've played the national anthem at the end of the night and everybody stood up.

I've also never really seen any English people suffering abuse just because someone heard them talking in an English accent. Certainly not enough to believe that one man could be targeted by a "fair bit of abuse" in numerous places.

But hey, maybe it was just a weird town.

At the end of the party the national anthem was played, and everyone stood up. Then at the end all the lads rushed in to the toilets to buy condoms. just because you haven't saw it before doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. Maybe they just didn't like me ?

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Pricks. Pricks everywhere.

Quite right. Good and bad everywhere we go.

Out of interest and if you don't mind saying, where you from ? No probs if you'd rather not say.

20 minutes ago, BOF said:

Yep. Probably stuff like "The Wearing of the Green", or "Bold Fenian Men". They're folk songs. It's sad that we've lost that 'singing in pubs' tradition in England. As Show of Hands lamented in the song "Roots": 

Now it's been 25 years or more
I've roamed this land from shore to shore
From Tyne to Tamar, Severn to Thames
From moor to vale, from peak to fen

Played in cafes, pubs and bars
I've stood in the street with my own guitar
But I'd be richer than all the rest
If I had a pound for each request

For 'Duelling Banjos', 'American Pie'
It's enough to make you cry
'Rule Britannia', or 'Swing low...'
Are they the only songs we English know?

Seed, bud, flower, fruit
They're never gonna grow without their roots
Branch, stem, shoot
They need roots

After the speeches, when the cake's been cut
The disco's over and the bar is shut
At christening, birthday, wedding or wake
What can we sing until the morning breaks

When the Indians, Asians, Afro-Celts
It's in their blood, below the belt
They're playing and dancing all night long
So what've they got right that we've got wrong?

Seed, bud, flower, fruit
They're never gonna grow without their roots
Branch, stem, shoot
They need roots and

Haul away boys, let them go
Out in the wind and the rain and snow
We've lost more than we'll ever know
'Round the rocky shores of England (x2)

We need roots

And a minister said his vision of hell
Is three folk singers in a pub near Wells
Well, I've got a vision of urban sprawl
It's pubs where no-one ever sings at all

And everyone stares at a great big screen
Overpaid soccer stars, prancing teens
Australian soap, American rap
Estuary English, baseball caps

And we learn to be ashamed before we walk
Of the way we look, at the way we talk
Without our stories or our songs

How will we know where we come from?
I've lost St. George and the Union Jack
That's my flag too and I want it back

Seed, bud, flower, fruit
Never gonna grow without their roots
Branch, stem, shoot
We need roots and

Haul away boys, let them go
Out in the wind and the rain and snow
We've lost more than we'll ever know
'Round the rocky shores of England
We need roots...

16 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

So it's alright for me to get abused but not give any back. Yeah ok, im a bell end. It's got to be the englishmans fault, it always is. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah i was going to say similar.

If I WAS at an Irish party (or a French, or spanish or german or whatever) and they played the national anthem at the end of the night and everyone stood up, then I'd probably just stand up to be honest. 
I certainly wouldn't refuse to stand up and then request God Save the Queen. That's just being a dick.

I've got no problem standing for other countries national anthems normally. So I've been branded a liar, dick, and a bell end just because I said what happened when I went to visit family in Ireland. 

22 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

At the end of the party the national anthem was played, and everyone stood up. Then at the end all the lads rushed in to the toilets to buy condoms. just because you haven't saw it before doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. Maybe they just didn't like me ?

True, but you did claim it was the "norm" at parties.

Maybe some Irish VTers can put me right, but I've never seen that at a party in Ireland.

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

True, but you did claim it was the "norm" at parties.

Maybe some Irish VTers can put me right, but I've never seen that at a party in Ireland.

I've had a quick look online, and it seems it's pretty common in working class areas. Where I went was out in the sticks, with Limerick being the closest city. I asked why it was being played, and a relative said they always play it at the end of a night. 

22 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Quite right. Good and bad everywhere we go.

Out of interest and if you don't mind saying, where you from ? No probs if you'd rather not say.

Just South Wales, nothing exotic. Strong hard local accent when I'm not concentrating! 

• Thanks 1

Â