Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

1 minute ago, bickster said:

So are Cork and Waterford in the North of the country then?

It's all about context.  There's literal South and what people call political South (which doesn't exist).  Cork and Waterford are literally in the South of the country, but some would refer to Leitrim and Cavan as being in "Southern Ireland".

18 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

No such place as southern Ireland; it's the republic of Ireland. 

While there is no such state as "southern Ireland", it's a perfectly valid geographical description, just like "southern England". 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BOF said:

It's all about context.  There's literal South and what people call political South (which doesn't exist).  Cork and Waterford are literally in the South of the country, but some would refer to Leitrim and Cavan as being in "Southern Ireland".

I was just being facetious ?

• Haha 1

Just now, mjmooney said:

While there is no such state as "southern Ireland", it's a perfectly valid geographical description, just like "southern England". 

Exactly, which is why context is all important. See above.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BOF said:

:thumb::lol:  Some people think the opposite to Northern Ireland is Southern Ireland.  TBH as far as ignorance of the island in general goes, it's probably the mildest form out there.  Unless it's being used maliciously.

just remove the border and make it all part of Britain and not only do we remove the ignorance issue , but it solves the Brexit border problem as well :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

No, it's as @BOFsays; it's lazy ignorance from some at best. I mean, Donegal is in the north of the island but is in the republic....should it be referred to as "southern ireland" simply because it's not one of the 6 counties alongside it ?

Edited by mottaloo

Just now, tonyh29 said:

just remove the border and make it all part of Britain and not only do we remove the ignorance issue , but it solves the Brexit border problem as well :)

And means Americans will be guessing right from now on too :)  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bickster said:

So are Cork and Waterford in the North of the country then?

Can't speak for Waterford but the people's republic of Cork stands alone ?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, mottaloo said:

No, it's as @BOFsays; it's lazy ignorance from some at best. I mean, Donegal is in the north of the island but is in the republic....should it be referred to as "southern ireland" simply because it's not one of the 6 countries alongside it ?

That's the political example I gave.  Mike is saying that if you were to literally say Kerry is in Southern Ireland (because it is very South) then geographically you are accurate.  You just need to be aware over here that Southern has an added connotation because of what the opposite is, where you don't have that in England :)

• Like 1

Just now, mottaloo said:

Can't speak for Waterford but the people's republic of Cork stands alone ?

That they do.  That they do.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

yep they can accuse you of being Australian as well :)

I get that....until I said to an American mate of mine that their accents (unless southern or harsh NY) seem similar to Canadians.....he seemed incredulous when hearing that ! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, mottaloo said:

I get that....until I said to an American mate of mine that their accents (unless southern or harsh NY) seem similar to Canadians.....he seemed incredulous when hearing that ! 

Well they're aboot the same.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BOF said:

That's the political example I gave.  Mike is saying that if you were to literally say Kerry is in Southern Ireland (because it is very South) then geographically you are accurate.  You just need to be aware over here that Southern has an added connotation because of what the opposite is, where you don't have that in England :)

I work for a global logistics firm and sometimes staff are sent over to our depots in the republic and they often (innocently i hope) offend the locals by referring to calling "the mainland" if they have any problems with the systems. 

• Like 1

Just now, mottaloo said:

I work for a global logistics firm and sometimes staff are sent over to our depots in the republic and they often (innocently i hope) offend the locals by referring to calling "the mainland" if they have any problems with the systems. 

I use it tongue in cheek.  You have to know your audience.  But the British who come over often use the term unironically :)  It's a deep-seated hangover that they don't even realise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I've got relatives in  a small town in Southern Ireland. I got a fair bit of abuse when I went there to visit, and they heard me talking. It was mainly in the pubs. Singing pro IRA songs was the norm at the end of the night in the pubs. There was some girls party over there which we got invited to, or should I say the whole town got invited. More abuse followed. I ended up requesting "God Save The Queen" to the dj that did not go down well, and I refused to stand for the national anthem which seemed to be the norm at the end of the night at parties. That caused an argument with my cousins fella who's part paddy. I did meet a villa fan over there who was sound, and there were many nice people, but I did receive a fair bit of abuse for being English. 

Having spent a lot of my life in Southern Ireland, visiting many small towns, going to many pubs and parties, my honest opinion of your post is it's probably entirely bullshit.

No offence.

(Edit: Oh and for the context of the discussion on the previous page, I was talking literally southern. As in Cork, Waterford etc)

Edited by Stevo985

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Having spent a lot of my life in Southern Ireland, visiting many small towns, going to many pubs and parties, my honest opinion of your post is it's probably entirely bullshit.

No offence.

(Edit: Oh and for the context of the discussion on the previous page, I was talking literally southern. As in Cork, Waterford etc)

So I'm talking bullshit then? Ok...

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

So I'm talking bullshit then? Ok...

I mean, maybe not.

But what you've written is so far, in literally every single way, from my experiences in small towns in "southern" Ireland that yeah my instinct was that it was bollocks.

• Like 1

Â