Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

3 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

Glaring error in tonight's Peaky Blinders. Polly's lad referred to his mother as, Mum. I don't know any Brummies who say, Mum. It's Mom ffs!

F***ing Peaky Blinders pisses me off no end. Stopped watching it before the end of S01... Its not the irritating accents and the programme that bothers me so much... it’s that every time someone asks where I’m from these days and I say Birmingham the instant response seems to be Peaky Blinders in the worst attempt at a Brummie accent ever (thanks to the programme itself no doubt)

It's becoming the new Beatles for me. If some twunt starts a PB sightseeing tour round these ways he’s getting a Colombian necktie. Lots of it is filmed round here, I believe there was a beach scene tonight, well the beach in question starts over the road from our house

9 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

Glaring error in tonight's Peaky Blinders. Polly's lad referred to his mother as, Mum. I don't know any Brummies who say, Mum. It's Mom ffs!

Is this true? I am not from the city at all and I always say mum, I thought most people did. My wife, a Walsall girl says mom, but I thought she was just being contrary.

• Like 1

Just now, Seat68 said:

Is this true? I am not from the city at all and I always say mum, I thought most people did. My wife, a Walsall girl says mom, but I thought she was just being contrary.

Where have you beeeeeen. The amount of times we’ve done the mom thing on VT.....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I recall reading something where Dr Carl Chinn (possibly the most Brummie man in the world) confirmed that it's a Brummie / Black Country thing to say Mom, and it's traditional to the area. My parents called their mother, Mom, and so on and so on. I've obviously not met every Brummie ever, but the ones I know, to a man, say Mom.   

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’ve watched it from the start, it seems to be get progressively worse.

Haven't watched last nights episode yet.

I thought last night's episode was a return to form, after a pretty poor third series.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Where have you beeeeeen. The amount of times we’ve done the mom thing on VT.....

Yeah, I had a feeling this had been debated before, but it did genuinely piss me off a little last night, when it probably shouldn't have.

Growing up in Birmingham, it was always mom. Of course, after 40+ years away, I'm long since a 'mum' user now. 

I gave up on Peaky Blinders after one episode. The deal breaker, as ever, was the use of contemporary music in a period drama. Hate, hate, hate it. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Growing up in Birmingham, it was always mom. Of course, after 40+ years away, I'm long since a 'mum' user now. 

I gave up on Peaky Blinders after one episode. The deal breaker, as ever, was the use of contemporary music in a period drama. Hate, hate, hate it. 

Up here, they use the word, Mam. I'll never call me Mom, Mam!

• Haha 1

Â